Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 09:20 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times

Advertisements

Scott Street (Emory Rowhouse) and West Pike (contemporary loft) both good locations for investment rental and later owner-occupation? Any additional info about the buildings/neighborhoods would be welcome, as I'm not too familiar with the area. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 09:37 AM

Old 01-20-2015, 09:51 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,097,560 times
I have a small home over on Greenup near 13th St. which is pretty close to the area you have mentioned. I don't live there at the moment since the home still needs a little more work (kitchen) before it would be suitable for living.

Based upon what I have seen in this neighborhood since I purchased the home a little over two years ago, I think this is a good investment. Homes are being fixed up and there also is some new construction in the area just north and east of the area you've mentioned. Downtown Covington seems to be more economically healthy than it was a decade ago.

The only major issue I see with this neighborhood is the lack of off street parking for most homes. I'd make sure you have a parking spot for a car before buying if you intend to live there. Or make sure a tenant, if you rent, has access to a parking spot nearby. If using the bus then it becomes a non issue.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:58 AM

A friend tells me the surrounding area is a bit rough in both condo locations (Scott and W. Pike), with homeless hanging around in one case and an abandoned building/parking lot in the other? "Gentrifying" is one thing, but "dangerous" for a single woman alone is another. The idea is to have Cinci accessible, but I'm unfamiliar with neighborhoods there. In general, quite expensive?

Old 01-20-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
A friend tells me the surrounding area is a bit rough in both condo locations (Scott and W. Pike), with homeless hanging around in one case and an abandoned building/parking lot in the other? "Gentrifying" is one thing, but "dangerous" for a single woman alone is another. The idea is to have Cinci accessible, but I'm unfamiliar with neighborhoods there. In general, quite expensive?
I don't see homeless hanging around on Greenup where I have my house. Have some neighbors that spend time out front but they range from elderly people in their 70's down to children. Really, you have to judge the area on a street by street basis. Pittsburgh and many of its suburbs is the same way. One street or a portion of it is fine, while a few blocks down it may not be that good.

No doubt the progress being made in the east side of Covington is slow but it does appear to be headed in the right direction. Do you have any idea as to the kind of tenants that live in these two Condo developments? By that I mean demographics i.e. whether or not you have a mix of white collar, blue collar or service oriented employees? And do any other single women live in either place? Might be best to talk to some of the existing tenants before making a decision.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:21 AM

I should add that I have seen some single women jogging down Greenup from time to time during the warmer months. Have also seen single mothers or couples with kids in a stroller walking on the sidewalk from time to time as well. I'd look at the people that are out walking around during the day and early evening to get a better idea of what to expect crime wise.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:26 AM

Can also ask the police (or there may be an online feature for crime statistics). Just wondered if anyone happened to already know the buildings or areas.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:32 AM

I just did a little research on crime in that area and it is pretty low. Lower than where my house is. A few blocks to the north and NE and it gets a little rough but really not that bad.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedand Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedmay help. Also, if you put the address into Truia.com you can get an idea of the crime in the area through a report that is generated on the page of details displayed for that address. Based upon what I saw it is not bad at all there.

Bear in mind that you can't judge a book by the cover all the time. I've lived in areas that looked physically appealing and outward appearances suggested the area was just fine but in reality it was the opposite.

I think there is only one other regular poster on this site that lives in Covington, maybe two. Since the area you've mentioned is only a few blocks from my house I do have some idea as to what the area is like. Most of the people on this forum seem to be from the Ohio side.

Last edited by Yac; 01-21-2015 at 02:55 AM..

Old 01-20-2015, 10:39 AM

I thought there'd be more action here than on the Kentucky forum, but I can try there, too. I assume the neighborhoods are Mainstrauss and Eastside, respectively? Maybe you should move for less crime. There are TWO condos available! Will check out those links; thanks.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I thought there'd be more action here than on the Kentucky forum, but I can try there, too. I assume the neighborhoods are Mainstrauss and Eastside, respectively? Maybe you should move for less crime. There are TWO condos available! Will check out those links; thanks.
You're welcome. Let us know how it turns out. Overall Covington is a fairly safe community compared to many areas of Cincinnati. Only around three or four neighborhoods seem to have a lot of crime and most of that is concentrated near a few specific streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati