Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 05:30 PM

3 posts, read 4,523 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to Cincinnati next month with our three young kids. Her job is in west Chester and mine is downtown. Recommendations on where to live? Also can you private message me realtors in the area? We are planning a house hunting trip in the next two weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 07:07 PM

Here's our basic info:

. Where is you current location
Greenville Wisconsin. Small town feel but newer house

. Are you looking for similar in Cincinnati or a change?
Looking for newer homes, private lots not too long of a commute

. Where will your work location be?
Wife - west Chester, Me - Downtown Cinci
. Maximum commute time?
Less than 40 min

. What is you budget for housing? Ideally $350 no more than $400
. Rent or buy? Buy
. Type (Apt., Condo, Single Family) Single Family House
. Size (Approx. Sq. Ft., # Bedrooms & Baths) 4 BR, 2+ Bath
. Other specifics? Would love two story living room

. Neighborhood environment?
Yard
Family Oriented
Good schools
Diversity of people and architecture
Very safe/low crime

. School?
Good private or public schools

. Community amenities?
Not too far from groceries restaurants etc

Old 02-01-2015, 07:12 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michoyo View Post
My wife and I are moving to Cincinnati next month with our three young kids. Her job is in west Chester and mine is downtown. Recommendations on where to live? Also can you private message me realtors in the area? We are planning a house hunting trip in the next two weeks.
You said 3 young kids but how young. Are they in school yet? If not you will obviously need a regular day-care service. Regardless, West Chester and environs going up north to Liberty Twp. are in Lakota Schools, a very fine district. I would be looking for a church based day-care service, which there any many of in the area. Mason is also a fine school district and a short commute to West Chester. With 3 kids you will be needing good schools so why not Lakota or Mason. Short commute to West Chester for the wife. Your commute to downtown while not ideal is certainly what a very large number of people are already doing.

West Chester and Liberty Twp.s combined are large enough to keep a number of realtors busy. When Mason is included it is one of the prime markets in Cincinnati. A family owned realty co. with multiple offices is Sibcy Cline. They have a large office on Mason-Montgomery Rd in Mason plus two additional offices in West Chester Twp. and are well situated to serve West Chester, Liberty Twp., Mason, and the Deerfield Twp. portion south of Mason which is in Mason City School District. That is a large territory with many houses to select from. The school districts alone make it a desirable location in which to live.

With 3 kids to be in need I cannot help but stress the school districts. Of course there are some other fine school districts such as Sycamore on the eastern side of Cincinnati in Hamilton Co. A closer commute to downtown Cincinnati for you but definitely a longer and more involved and tiring commute for the wife to West Chester. My question is why? With a fall off the log commute for the wife you can locate in one of the two best school districts in the area, Lakota and/or Mason. Depending on the ages of the kids, I would start with a large realtor like Sibcy Cline and thoroughly examine the day-care facilities available due to the impact it will have on your daily living. To me I would want that identified before even starting the house hunt. As soon as they learn 3 kids are involved and the wife will be working in West Chester, a smart realtor like Sibcy Cline will think they are operating in my area of strength.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:14 PM

Thanks for the help!! I should have mentioned though that our nanny is moving with us so no need for day cares. Kids are 4,3,1. Also any good Lutheran churches in the area?

Old 02-01-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michoyo View Post
Thanks for the help!! I should have mentioned though that our nanny is moving with us so no need for day cares. Kids are 4,3,1. Also any good Lutheran churches in the area?
Quite frankly there are a number of Lutheran churches in West Chester and the surrounding area. I am not Lutheran so will not have much input. My wife was Lutheran but that was before I converted her to Catholicism when we were married. But what happened 53 years ago shouldn't be held against me or her.

The fact your nanny is moving with you - Great, Hallolo You, Oh my Good Gosh and Golly. That is a very good news component.

But again, contact a realtor like Sibcy Cline which specializes in areas like West Chester, Liberty Twp., Mason, and Deerfield Twp.

Sounds to me like you may be capable of buying just about anything around here.

But what you want is the best environment for your family. Believe me, stay within the southern Butler Co or Warren Co. regions of northern Cincinnati. If someone else says oh no they are country, say in just what respect and what do you have noticable levels above them?

Old 02-02-2015, 05:27 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,163,629 times
Quote:
Diversity of people and architecture
Exactly what do you mean by this statement and what are you looking for? Is it an important criteria? Right now this appears to be the differentiating factor.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:19 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,945,085 times
If you are interested in older homes and a diverse school environment for the kids, Wyoming could be a good fit. It is halfway between downtown and west chester, giving you each a +- 20 minute commute. The schools are first class.

If you're after a new suburban feel, west chester itself should work great. i would stay in the southern part. going north to liberty township would be a real punishment for the person working downtown.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
If you are interested in older homes and a diverse school environment for the kids, Wyoming could be a good fit. It is halfway between downtown and west chester, giving you each a +- 20 minute commute. The schools are first class.
And if you select Wyoming you are in a very nice suburb with excellent schools completely surrounded by areas with not such exemplary attributes. Why would this be your desire?

Follow my advice, contact Sibcy Cline in Mason, and evaluate the West Chester, Liberty Twp. and Mason, Deerfield Twp. areas.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:45 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,838,011 times
The OP brought up "newer homes" as a criterion, though with 21st-century subdivisions the way they are that contradicts their hope for "architectural diversity." No matter - the supply of any houses constructed after the 1970's in Wyoming is scant, and that's putting it mildly. For all intents and purposes my home 'burb was completely "built out" a long time ago. The town has also been largely spared the scourge of tear-downs, though a few have taken place with appealing new (and larger) dwellings put up in their place. Forest Ave - an easy walk to the high school via the football field - has a handful, for instance. (Please do not confuse that street with the Forest Ave in Cincinnati when doing a listing search; the ZIP code you want is 45215. Cincy's Forest Ave is a hot mess of crime and decay. Wyoming's is a four-block-long, but dead-end, pleasant and well-shaded street.)
It bears noting that through some unholy alliance or other, a development at the far northwest corner of Wyoming is considered part of Wyoming for municipal services BUT lies within the fair-to-middling Winton Woods school district. Every real estate listing will include what schools serve the home's location, but it's one of those things that you have to know to look for.

Not knowing where Greenville, WI, is - for this geography nerd that's saying something - my hunch is that the exurban sprawl could suit this family well. They should also consider Loveland and Montgomery for high-quality schools; the latter community is also largely "built out" but has been hit with more tear-downs. With expressways the commute for both parents would be easily manageable (though with I-71 at times that can be debated.)

Old 02-02-2015, 08:15 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,974,606 times
Luthern Church: King of Kings in Mason. Good people in the congregation----our kids went there up thru Kindergarten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati