Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 05:58 AM

649 posts, read 816,721 times

Advertisements

I would look into Elder/Disabled services at local churches and through the city of Covington. I know here that Marielders does this for seniors in Mariemont and Fairfax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 11:07 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Isn't there a Council on Aging in the general area that will provide such services? I attended the monthly council on aging lecture and was surprised at how many services were available.

Ah, yes. The Council on Aging. The Council on Aging operates through NKADD (Northern Kentucky Area Development District). NKADD operates with contracts to companies, apparently mostly franchise operations. The companies seem to get into the contracts because they would like more business and (somehow) this is guaranteed government money as opposed to funding from the likes of United Way out of Cincinnati to whatever as well as the well-heeled who just pay for stuff for the very brief period until their money runs out. And, NKADD needs to take whatever it can get. I may explore the government connection someday when I have nothing to do for a week or so. I'm under the impression this is not ordinary public assistance.

It happened maybe a year ago and was most memorable. I told the woman to go to the post office to get the (box) mail. I know enough to mention 7th & Scott -- it's amazing how many people don't know where the post office is, and in Covington the post office never got rid of the Greek-pillared, half-city block federal building. If someone is still at a loss about a location after such a statement, I have pulled up computer maps to show them. She smiled, got outside and fed 7th & Scott into GPS which gave her a place on 7th street in Cincinnati with (presumably) someone named Scott located there as there is no Scott street, road, boulevard, etc., in Cincinnati.

In time she came back and, as she had the mail, she did indeed find 7th & Scott in Covington. She handed me the mail and with a big smirk unceremoniously lambasted me for giving her the wrong address saying the correct address is 700 Scott. And, of course, anyone physically located at 700 Scott boulevard in Covington would find themselves located not only at the north entrance to the Covington post office but also at the southwest corner of 7th & Scott give or take a few feet.

That was just one, but a choice one. And, of course, if I dare to mention I'm not happy about being jumped because someone likes to use GPS and GPS doesn't understand my common-man's language, well, that's "an incident" and the agency can't provide service.

NKADD caseworkers are generally okay, but all they can do generally is make a referral to an agency under contract with NKADD. One has the right to carry a complaint to the Council on Aging. Tried that, too, about a serious matter. Was eventually flat out told he wasn't going to do anything about it. I guess he looked busy "working" by generating surveys as there have been a number of those. The Council on Aging is a national organization (which I unearthed some years ago to contact the national office about something else) which rather strikes me as one of those "frothy" organizations that doesn't actually do much.

It's not so much how many services are available; it's more a matter of how many services are allowed, never mind making them available. Thanks for trying anyway.

(End of speech for the moment.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
I would look into Elder/Disabled services at local churches and through the city of Covington. I know here that Marielders does this for seniors in Mariemont and Fairfax.
I did try churches, two of which, one Protestant and one Catholic, show up at the apartment building to provide religious services.

But, good pointing! I plumb forgot about the neighborhood association, although I don't think I will come up with much there. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Thanks for the offer. Perhaps someone at Miami from deep in Cincinnati and commuting might be interested, and I have thought of that, but it would involve finding such a person.

NKU does have a nursing degree if I remember correctly. Now, some time ago I called all four local higher institutions of learning, UC, XU, NKU and Thomas More college, because I wanted to do something in regard to Dayton's aviation heritage business. I suspect (and it is only a suspicion) not one of the history departments had more than a whim of an idea about the matter and didn't want to admit it as I drew a blank in all four places. I have a vague suspicion (again a suspicion) that an enterprising individual could get a master's degree out of stuff there. I'm under the impession NKU even has an air force ROTC program and couldn't even get connected to such an office.

I haven't done well checking with the schools. Maybe ten years ago, while still in Cincinnati, I did "hire" a student through an ad at NKU, but it wasn't answered by anyone local. The young woman was from somewhere in the Caribbean Islands and it didn't work out well. If you have a question in Dayton (just an ordinary informational question), at least there was a time when you could call a UD department and talk to a professor or some such and get an answer. Not so in this area.

I think the best bet is some organization, but I don't know what.

To the person who hit reputation for this post:

I have no need for information about Dayton and suggested no such thing. Please re-read that paragraph.

Last edited by Yac; 02-11-2015 at 03:16 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged

Old 02-10-2015, 07:44 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
^^^Wilson. Excellent suggestion. Hopefully this will be the answer to the problem that CP is having.
Quote:
Thanks, but I wouldn't qualify.

Don't need 14 hours of service a week. Given a competent individual I can organize what I need into three or four at the most. Example: in an hour they can cover a stop at the post office to pick up mail there and get stuff at both Walgreens and Krogers -- they're only a few blocks apart. (I've had help from competent people.)

Also, I've never been classified as disabled. The classification is elderly.

Also, I can probably do payroll time (got paid for that once) but I doubt that I could do the tax statements.

Thanks anyway.

Well, in my world, a person who can only manage a few steps from the scooter is functionally disabled. As for the 14 hours, I am sure you could fond something for the attendant to do for the extra time.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:12 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,161,281 times
Quote:
Thanks for the offer. Perhaps someone at Miami from deep in Cincinnati and commuting might be interested, and I have thought of that, but it would involve finding such a person.

NKU does have a nursing degree if I remember correctly. Now, some time ago I called all four local higher institutions of learning, UC, XU, NKU and Thomas More college, because I wanted to do something in regard to Dayton's aviation heritage business. I suspect (and it is only a suspicion) not one of the history departments had more than a whim of an idea about the matter and didn't want to admit it as I drew a blank in all four places. I have a vague suspicion (again a suspicion) that an enterprising individual could get a master's degree out of stuff there. I'm under the impession NKU even has an air force ROTC program and couldn't even get connected to such an office.

I haven't done well checking with the schools. Maybe ten years ago, while still in Cincinnati, I did "hire" a student through an ad at NKU, but it wasn't answered by anyone local. The young woman was from somewhere in the Caribbean Islands and it didn't work out well. If you have a question in Dayton (just an ordinary informational question), at least there was a time when you could call a UD department and talk to a professor or some such and get an answer. Not so in this area.

I think the best bet is some organization, but I don't know what.
Yeah, that's a tough nut to crack. I didn't realize the universities there had so many barriers! Doesn't sound like fun to deal with any of them.

I will say that students are probably even more poor and more desperate than they were 10 years ago. So if you placed an ad today in the student paper, the odds are probably a lot better now that you would get someone that is local and qualified. The only stickler requirement is to make the process somewhat substantial for one to get the role. Require a resume, a cover letter, invite them for an interview first. Some reverse psychology there, but it will weed out the worst applicants while giving the applicants left a feeling that the role is substantial and worthwhile to perform.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Well, in my world, a person who can only manage a few steps from the scooter is functionally disabled. As for the 14 hours, I am sure you could fond something for the attendant to do for the extra time.

But not legally or technically medically. And, that can make a world of difference with some matters.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:07 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
CP - I am so sorry - I'd definitely try to help if I weren't up in the Northern burbs.

I know what you mean about services (or really, lack there of). When dad/mom first moved in with me (Now its just dad) - we contacted the local council on aging as well as the county elder services. The council on aging was basically just a referral place, and the county elder services couldn't do much more than open a meals on wheels ticket. Similarly we explored the county elder bus system - and found a situation much like you described. They had a waiting list of over 6 months for new approvals, and once you did get approved, you had to schedule any needed rides weeks to a month in advance. Definitely not something one could use for routine shopping or banking.

Agencies are very expensive (as you've noted). We ended up hiring a person off Craig's List, but to be honest - we went through about 6 people to find one that has been trustworthy and reliable, and if it weren't me and my husband overseeing things, well, it would have been even harder. (Terrible that so many people see the elderly as targets!)

What about ride-share boards or something similar??

I've heard of programs where seniors drive other seniors and earn credits toward future such needs themselves ... a quick google found this:

Dignified Senior Transportation, Cincinnati, Ohio - Senior transportation within the I-275 loop of Cincinnati Ohio | ITNGreaterCincinnati

It seems affordable and is within the I-275 loop (OH/KY) - so its not something that is only on the Cincinnati side. Might see if its worth pursuing??

The membership fee ($75) is a little high, but looks like after that its $3.50 for pick-up and then $1.55 per mile. So each trip would be relatively low cost.

If I see anything else that looks promising - I'll come back to this thread.

Really sorry you're having difficulties CP ...

Old 02-12-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
CP - I am so sorry - I'd definitely try to help if I weren't up in the Northern burbs.

I know what you mean about services (or really, lack there of). When dad/mom first moved in with me (Now its just dad) - we contacted the local council on aging as well as the county elder services. The council on aging was basically just a referral place, and the county elder services couldn't do much more than open a meals on wheels ticket. Similarly we explored the county elder bus system - and found a situation much like you described. They had a waiting list of over 6 months for new approvals, and once you did get approved, you had to schedule any needed rides weeks to a month in advance. Definitely not something one could use for routine shopping or banking.

Agencies are very expensive (as you've noted). We ended up hiring a person off Craig's List, but to be honest - we went through about 6 people to find one that has been trustworthy and reliable, and if it weren't me and my husband overseeing things, well, it would have been even harder. (Terrible that so many people see the elderly as targets!)

What about ride-share boards or something similar??

I've heard of programs where seniors drive other seniors and earn credits toward future such needs themselves ... a quick google found this:

Dignified Senior Transportation, Cincinnati, Ohio - Senior transportation within the I-275 loop of Cincinnati Ohio | ITNGreaterCincinnati

It seems affordable and is within the I-275 loop (OH/KY) - so its not something that is only on the Cincinnati side. Might see if its worth pursuing??

The membership fee ($75) is a little high, but looks like after that its $3.50 for pick-up and then $1.55 per mile. So each trip would be relatively low cost.

If I see anything else that looks promising - I'll come back to this thread.

Really sorry you're having difficulties CP ...

Thanks for verifying that there are problems that shouldn't exist.

Thanks also for the link -- when I get to it, I will pass on the site to the president of the apartment building's residents' association. The site mentions that they can accommodate a group trip at any time. There are 159 apartments in this place and sometimes there are several people who want to go somewhere together at other than business hours, so it might be useful.

Personally speaking, I am NOT looking for transportation -- the scooter puts a crimp in any going places because the traveling range of thing is limited.

Example: my former apartment was 125 feet from the elevator, and there was also an area to cover to get from the elevator to the outside. Basically, to go from the apartment out to the driveway and back to the apartment was one city block. Run around in the apartment from "risin' time" -- inch by inch you are adding more city blocks -- and soon enough the energy in the battery is depleted. Then the scooter don't go nowhere.

Let's say I wanted to go to the library in Cincinnati. Public transportation would get me to 6th street in Cincinnati, but the library is on 8th street and you have to get into the place. Just the to and from the inside of the library to the transportation is more than a half of a mile, never mind going around in the place or getting to the transportation in the first place or back from it in the end.

If I went, I would have to pay for transportation anyway, so I'm not losing a thing by giving someone else some money to do errands.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:31 PM

Update:

Dug out the City of Covington website and saw nothing likely, not even a list of neighborhoods. (An aside, the City of Cincinnati does at least list the neighborhoods.)

Called the city manager's office to ask for a neighborhood contact. I was so astonished at what happened that I posted a long description in the River City News. Eventually someone there posted a list of the neighborhoods with names after words like "president." The city office did eventually come up with a name (different from the one listed in the newspaper link) and phone number which has yet to get past the recorder state.

Looked up the president of the one listed in the newspaper for the area underfoot online as what was conveniently listed for contact was a an email address. He had a facebook page which announced "Moved to Lexington" (last autumn).

Well, the meetings are held nearby (assuming there are meetings) and since it's a church people do show up there sometime so it's one place to at least ask for further reference and maybe the name and number from the city may get past the recorder state. However, as I think I said somewhere, I honestly don't expect to come up with anything.

So, if anyone has any ideas, I'm still listening. And, as also stated somewhere, I'd happily give an able volunteer some cash to cover costs -- I wouldn't be losing a thing as if I did the running around I would certainly have to pay for the likes of taxi fare.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:06 PM

The situation may be temporarily somewhat improved for maybe a month or so. That's not certain yet and is definitely not expected to be the case (at this point) after April.

I'm still looking and am still interested in suggestions.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:07 PM

So, what kind of people volunteer?

1. The wealthy who think they must do some good in this world.
2. The religious who believe they are supposed to do some good in this world.
3. The poor as a payback of sorts because someone once cared about them.
4. The noble because they are by nature magnanimous, high-minded, principled, etc.
5. The young who have at least some obligations met for them and want to do something good with spare time.
6. Others....

So, here we are, about 2 million people centered on very Catholic Cincinnati (Covington even has a historic cathedral) and dripping with pride in major business successes....

And, there's nary a volunteer in sight even if they get gas money and a free lunch.

The situation improved somewhat for about a good week then hit critical. Well, we are out of critical for the moment, but there is no one yet who will:

Drive into downtown Cincinnati.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati