Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 11:47 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,755,374 times

Advertisements

The situation: I ride around on a motorized scooter as I can't walk but a couple of steps and that only on very good days. While it's not absolutely impossible to go somewhere, it's highly complicated and time-consuming. A taxi has to be one of those with extra room to accommodate carrying along the scooter for which, just incidentally, a fully charged battery would be advisable and that alone (along with necessary pre-planning) takes about six hours.

It ain't impossible, but I'm a lot better off if I can find someone to do the likes of errands for which I would happily hand over some gas money and some extra cash for a fast-food lunchy-snack depending on how much there is to the errand.

Agencies want about $25 an hour which is beyond my budget even for once, never mind once a week or so. Furthermore, the ones I've looked into generally don't schedule their people for going across the river. Another thing to discount is anything like "Senior Corps," a branch of the U.S. based arm of the Peace Corps. The government provides, and they may have volunteers, but not everywhere -- I even called the state office in Louisville on that one. I've also asked around at a couple of churches.

It takes someone preferably through some reliable organization who has some sense and a couple (maybe three) hours a week to spare and who wants a reason to go somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 11:52 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,097,560 times
Don't churches in Covington have some kind of small bus that picks up the Elderly for the price of a bus ride that can take them around town? I've seen that in some suburbs and rural towns in the past.

If I lived there right now I would be happy to do it. I used to this for my Grandmother back in Connecticut after my Grandfather passed away. Unfortunately still in Indy and can't move anytime soon except to transfer to St. Louis with my existing employer at least for a while. Lost so much money in lost wages and car repairs since September my entire time table and plans to relocate to NKY are now in jeopardy.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:39 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,164,539 times
Sorry to hear it, CP!

I'd also offer if I wasn't an hour away from you.

So my best advice, from the perspective of a current college student, is to get in contact with NKU. Talk to their nursing department if they have one, and ask how you can post an ad for a part-time helper. I'd be willing to bet you get a lot of responses from a lot of highly qualified and caring people.

Good luck!

Old 02-09-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Don't churches in Covington have some kind of small bus that picks up the Elderly for the price of a bus ride that can take them around town? I've seen that in some suburbs and rural towns in the past.

If I lived there right now I would be happy to do it. I used to this for my Grandmother back in Connecticut after my Grandfather passed away. Unfortunately still in Indy and can't move anytime soon except to transfer to St. Louis with my existing employer at least for a while. Lost so much money in lost wages and car repairs since September my entire time table and plans to relocate to NKY are now in jeopardy.
Both TANK and Metro have had "elderly transportation." This is a kind of "door-to-door" service at rates cheaper than taxi fare. It's cost efficient if one is going miles maybe once every six months. I looked into it years ago. Among other things, the hill the apartment building sits on is almost at a 45 degree angle and, if walking, even the able-bodied are liable to be huffing and puffing after getting to the top. (It's not as high as the ridge where my house of 33 years sat.)

So, I called TANK and was informed that you have to have an application on file before you get service. I asked them to mail me one, which took more days than expected, and filled it out, sent it back and didn't hear anything for a while. I called them again and was informed it was rejected because I didn't include a cell phone number. One now needs a cell phone to get bus service? Well, it was needed in case I wasn't at the pick up point when the driver arrived. He then had a number to call for contact.

They were told something like, if I wasn't at the pick up point on time I probably left by ambulance and the driver could simply go on. Or, if I was just slow, I could always pay for it by calling a taxi. That had no effect. It seemed a call to the administrative offices was in order at least to point out the cost of a cell phone to get transportation cheaper than at taxi rates. Eventually I got the supervisor and it was established that I really didn't need a cell phone. So, I tried it a few times -- a trip to the library and a trip to the bank, both of which are about a mile and a half away, were two places.

Well, they couldn't come when I called as they already had appointments then. Interestingly enough, the woman scheduling never suggested an alternate time. If I thought of an alternate time, I would have to call back as she wasn't going to sit there looking for one. This happened a couple of times. It was finally explained that I needed to call a couple of days in advance. After all, I surely knew when my appointments were scheduled.

It further turned out that if I wanted to go to the bank, I had to set up two appointments (one to go and one to come back) and kill an hour or so in between whereas a taxi would simply pick me up, go there and go through the drive in window and then bring me back to the apartment house. The cost savings would have been about $4 as no start up fee for the taxi coming back. If I wanted to go to the library for a few hours and maybe have lunch at the chicken house while thereabouts, something like 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. was out as the buses had to back to the station by 3:00. (I don't fuction well until noon.) The last time I tried it, the return trip was via Newport as the driver had to drop off someone else there first. (My apartment house is near Ludlow.)

And, last but not least.... TANK had two aspects of service. One was for sort of outings -- if someone able to get around and age qualified wanted to go shopping or something, maybe with a couple of friends, that was one thing. Then there was the RAMP service for the diabled. I was signed up for the former which in due time was dumped on Senior Services of Northern Kentucky and I would have to fill out an application with them. If I want the RAMP service, I need to fill out another application with TANK.

And, where would I really need to go? The bank for money orders because their money orders are like cashier's checks with a duplicate (carbon copy) attached, money orders necessary because the landlord at least doesn't want personal checks. I have yet to ask if they would mail them to me if I sent them a check.

Thanks for the offer. That was nice of you. What's needed then is to get you to Northern Kentucky somehow.

Last edited by CarpathianPeasant; 02-09-2015 at 07:12 AM..

Old 02-09-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
Sorry to hear it, CP!

I'd also offer if I wasn't an hour away from you.

So my best advice, from the perspective of a current college student, is to get in contact with NKU. Talk to their nursing department if they have one, and ask how you can post an ad for a part-time helper. I'd be willing to bet you get a lot of responses from a lot of highly qualified and caring people.

Good luck!
Thanks for the offer. Perhaps someone at Miami from deep in Cincinnati and commuting might be interested, and I have thought of that, but it would involve finding such a person.

NKU does have a nursing degree if I remember correctly. Now, some time ago I called all four local higher institutions of learning, UC, XU, NKU and Thomas More college, because I wanted to do something in regard to Dayton's aviation heritage business. I suspect (and it is only a suspicion) not one of the history departments had more than a whim of an idea about the matter and didn't want to admit it as I drew a blank in all four places. I have a vague suspicion (again a suspicion) that an enterprising individual could get a master's degree out of stuff there. I'm under the impession NKU even has an air force ROTC program and couldn't even get connected to such an office.

I haven't done well checking with the schools. Maybe ten years ago, while still in Cincinnati, I did "hire" a student through an ad at NKU, but it wasn't answered by anyone local. The young woman was from somewhere in the Caribbean Islands and it didn't work out well. If you have a question in Dayton (just an ordinary informational question), at least there was a time when you could call a UD department and talk to a professor or some such and get an answer. Not so in this area.

I think the best bet is some organization, but I don't know what.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:06 PM

I will be at my house this Saturday for the day. If you need someone to run some errands for you I could probably do it if it won't take more than a couple of hours and require extensive driving. Send a Direct Message to me outlining what you need done and I can then quote you a price. I am thinking that $8.00 an hour plus mileage will be fair. Minimum of $8.00 for a fee if it will take less than an hour.

Recommendation. I would not entirely trust someone to go and get money orders for you unless you ride along with them. Even then I would be leery. I think buying groceries, picking up laundry etc. would be fine but I would be very careful about doing any kind of banking with a complete stranger.

If you have a CVS nearby or a Kroger you can buy money orders at either place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Both TANK and Metro have had "elderly transportation." This is a kind of "door-to-door" service at rates cheaper than taxi fare. It's cost efficient if one is going miles maybe once every six months. I looked into it years ago. Among other things, the hill the apartment building sits on is almost at a 45 degree angle and, if walking, even the able-bodied are liable to be huffing and puffing after getting to the top. (It's not as high as the ridge where my house of 33 years sat.)

So, I called TANK and was informed that you have to have an application on file before you get service. I asked them to mail me one, which took more days than expected, and filled it out, sent it back and didn't hear anything for a while. I called them again and was informed it was rejected because I didn't include a cell phone number. One now needs a cell phone to get bus service? Well, it was needed in case I wasn't at the pick up point when the driver arrived. He then had a number to call for contact.

They were told something like, if I wasn't at the pick up point on time I probably left by ambulance and the driver could simply go on. Or, if I was just slow, I could always pay for it by calling a taxi. That had no effect. It seemed a call to the administrative offices was in order at least to point out the cost of a cell phone to get transportation cheaper than at taxi rates. Eventually I got the supervisor and it was established that I really didn't need a cell phone. So, I tried it a few times -- a trip to the library and a trip to the bank, both of which are about a mile and a half away, were two places.

Well, they couldn't come when I called as they already had appointments then. Interestingly enough, the woman scheduling never suggested an alternate time. If I thought of an alternate time, I would have to call back as she wasn't going to sit there looking for one. This happened a couple of times. It was finally explained that I needed to call a couple of days in advance. After all, I surely knew when my appointments were scheduled.

It further turned out that if I wanted to go to the bank, I had to set up two appointments (one to go and one to come back) and kill an hour or so in between whereas a taxi would simply pick me up, go there and go through the drive in window and then bring me back to the apartment house. The cost savings would have been about $4 as no start up fee for the taxi coming back. If I wanted to go to the library for a few hours and maybe have lunch at the chicken house while thereabouts, something like 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. was out as the buses had to back to the station by 3:00. (I don't fuction well until noon.) The last time I tried it, the return trip was via Newport as the driver had to drop off someone else there first. (My apartment house is near Ludlow.)

And, last but not least.... TANK had two aspects of service. One was for sort of outings -- if someone able to get around and age qualified wanted to go shopping or something, maybe with a couple of friends, that was one thing. Then there was the RAMP service for the diabled. I was signed up for the former which in due time was dumped on Senior Services of Northern Kentucky and I would have to fill out an application with them. If I want the RAMP service, I need to fill out another application with TANK.

And, where would I really need to go? The bank for money orders because their money orders are like cashier's checks with a duplicate (carbon copy) attached, money orders necessary because the landlord at least doesn't want personal checks. I have yet to ask if they would mail them to me if I sent them a check.

Thanks for the offer. That was nice of you. What's needed then is to get you to Northern Kentucky somehow.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:29 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,487,957 times
Kentucky: Cabinet for Health and Family Services - Personal Care Attendant Program

Personal Care Attendant Program

The Personal Care Attendant Program helps severely physically disabled adults at risk of being institutionalized to live in their own homes and communities by subsidizing costs of personal attendant services.

Participants must be 18 or older, severely physically disabled with permanent or temporary recurring functional loss of two or more limbs, need at least 14 hours but no more than 40 hours of attendant care per week, be mentally capable of instructing and supervising attendants and be capable of preparing payroll and required employer tax statements.

A personal care attendant, hired by the physically disabled adult, helps with personal care, housekeeping, shopping, travel, self-care procedures, meal preparation and other day-to-day activities.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:34 PM

^^^Wilson. Excellent suggestion. Hopefully this will be the answer to the problem that CP is having.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Kentucky: Cabinet for Health and Family Services - Personal Care Attendant Program

Personal Care Attendant Program

The Personal Care Attendant Program helps severely physically disabled adults at risk of being institutionalized to live in their own homes and communities by subsidizing costs of personal attendant services.

Participants must be 18 or older, severely physically disabled with permanent or temporary recurring functional loss of two or more limbs, need at least 14 hours but no more than 40 hours of attendant care per week, be mentally capable of instructing and supervising attendants and be capable of preparing payroll and required employer tax statements.

A personal care attendant, hired by the physically disabled adult, helps with personal care, housekeeping, shopping, travel, self-care procedures, meal preparation and other day-to-day activities.
Thanks, but I wouldn't qualify.

Don't need 14 hours of service a week. Given a competent individual I can organize what I need into three or four at the most. Example: in an hour they can cover a stop at the post office to pick up mail there and get stuff at both Walgreens and Krogers -- they're only a few blocks apart. (I've had help from competent people.)

Also, I've never been classified as disabled. The classification is elderly.

Also, I can probably do payroll time (got paid for that once) but I doubt that I could do the tax statements.

Thanks anyway.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:47 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
Isn't there a Council on Aging in the general area that will provide such services? I attended the monthly council on aging lecture and was surprised at how many services were available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati