Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Am I in the right or the landlord?
Tenant 3 50.00%
Landlord 0 0%
Don't know 2 33.33%
Neither 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 06:45 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,945,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Glad to see someone is still in tune with their garbage collection. I am just glad our collector supplied us with a separate container labeled Recyclable. Good thing to know I don't have to throw everything in the garbage. It is a good sized container and I hope they do something different with it. Where has this been? I had a former smaller box but it was totally inadequate.

Have to admit most of our soft residue hits the disposal. Since it's only difference is whether it has passed through our bodies, what is the difference? In my mind not much. Hopefully the water waste treatment people can do a good job of reclamation.

We try eveything we can to put the plastic products in the Recyclable bin. Do any of you thinks this does any good? Of course we rinse out the containers and send the residue down the venerable disposal. Same for our glass, metal cans, and other receptacles we now recycle. Are we being duped or is this a good process?
The value of recycling plastic is dubious, or so I've been told. My understanding is the energy savings associated with recycling metal, glass, and paper/cardboard is substantial.

We have the huge green recycling bin with wheels and it gets filled to the brim every second week.

Regarding the disposal, our food scraps go in the trash but then again our trash goes outside once a day since it gets filled up so quickly with so many mouths to feed in this house. If it was just me or just my wife and I, our food scraps would probably sit inside longer than I was comfortable with and I'd be installing a disposal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 07:21 AM

5 posts, read 8,068 times
It may be beneficial for you to familiarize yourself with what foods can and cannot be placed in a garbage disposal. Some foods can be placed in the disposal without issues, but for some foods (like spaghetti), you don't want to do that.

What Not to Put in a Garbage Disposal
Garbage Disposal Do's and Don'ts - Plumbing & Drain Cleaning - DE, PA, MD | Horizon Services Inc.

Sounds like your landlord feels the garbage disposal issues are being caused by improper foods placed in the disposal, and that has led to maintenance/repair costs that your landlord has had to pay for directly.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:34 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,839,757 times
You can break your lease for habitability issues (lack of heat, water, electric). The lack of a garbage disposal does not effect the habitability of the rental.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:45 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
I have lived in my house for 39 years and have never considered the garbage disposal to be an issue. I believe I am on my 3rd disposal so achieved a better than 13 year life each. I also have never considered what items I toss into the disposal except for the obvious grease.

But don't go cheap on a garbage disposal. I won't go for anything less than a 3/4 horsepower motor and stick with InSinkErator, since they have a twist on mounting plate making replacement a snap.

But if it fits, it goes down the disposal.

BTW, I am the type who wipes off every dish before it goes into the dishwasher. The water I run to do this goes down the disposal. And so what, where does the dishwasher exhaust into? - the disposal.

So I do not understand this idea that disposals are unable to take certain foods. Over 39 years there has been more rice and spaghetti down our disposal than you can count. When we crack an egg, where does the shell go? - you got it the disposal. If something inadvertently goes bad in the frig where does it go? - yep the disposal. All of our trimmings from meats such as pot roast where? - the disposal. It is definitely my friend, perhaps one of the most used appliances in our house.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:11 AM

42 posts, read 104,480 times
I have a friend who went through much worse (i.e.. kitchen sink broke). The "landlord" did nothing to fix it until my friend was so fed up he gave an intent to vacate notice months later. At this point, which was already to late, the landlord fixed it. My friend still moved out (3 months to lease end). Needless to say, he was sued, went to court to fight it and lost.

If you move out and the place is livable, you will be liable for all charges throughout the entire lease term, or until the unit is rented out again. In my friends case, livable meant did you have access to water (even though it was from the bathroom)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati