Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:40 PM

210 posts, read 744,888 times

Advertisements

My wife FREAKS OUT when i run the disposal with out the water running. She claims i am going to burn it up, as if water is its lubricant. Anyone else have this happen at home? How can i tell her she is wrong, as i know i am right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 07:49 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
I am thinking she's right. In any case you need the water to carry the "grounds" out of the disposal unit and into your plumbing.

Although, I'm not a fan of garbage disposals anyway, the plumber's best friend, grind up stuff you could compost and make for more than a few plugged drains.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:12 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonguru View Post
My wife FREAKS OUT when i run the disposal with out the water running. She claims i am going to burn it up, as if water is its lubricant. Anyone else have this happen at home? How can i tell her she is wrong, as i know i am right?
Oops your wife wins this one. But maybe not for the reasons you think. Despite old wives tales, the bearings do not burn up without water.

Some of the reasons is while running cold water you will solidify the fats from food particles and they will wash down being suspended in the wash. Hot water should not be flushed. Hot water will not hurt anything but it will not flush food particles like cold will. Heat will make the fats cling into globs and could clog drains. If the disposal is not completely flushed clean then decomposing food particles create acid in the decomposition process and destroy the disposal unit prematurely. Run the cold water a half a minute after all grinding has ceased.

If you have a septic, DO NOT put egg shells or seafood or especially DO NOT EVER EVER EVER put bleach in your washing machine. Most food particles are organic matter which will break down in the septic by the good bacteria. Seafood and shells will never decompose. Bleach kills the good bacteria that breaks down solids. If you put bleach in a septic you will have to have it pumped every year or 2 rather then every 10 to 15. Also never ever let hair down your drain because it not only will never decompose but it will clog the perforated lines out in the leach fields. Once all the holes are clogged you are in for a whole new leach bed and maybe $15,000 repair.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:48 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,059 times
Your wife is right. We had the disposal replaced when we moved in our current place and was told to make sure you run cold water when using it. Last week when we did a walk through on the house we are buying, we were told the same thing.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:41 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
The bleach issue is highly overblown. Bleach is sodium hypochlorate. It reverts to table salt (sodium chloride) or in intermediate stages as chloramines. If you poured five gallons of bleach into a septic system, you would kill a lot of the active bacteria, the bleach would decay, and a fresh batch of bacteria would re-colonize. If bleach was as powerful as claimed, mold would not come back in shower stalls, clothes and towels washed with bleach would never hold body odor again, etc.. In general, using less bleach is a good thing with septic systems. So is using less salt, and never using a garbage disposal. Hair in a properly designed septic system should never reach the leach field.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:40 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The bleach issue is highly overblown. Bleach is sodium hypochlorate. It reverts to table salt (sodium chloride) or in intermediate stages as chloramines. If you poured five gallons of bleach into a septic system, you would kill a lot of the active bacteria, the bleach would decay, and a fresh batch of bacteria would re-colonize. If bleach was as powerful as claimed, mold would not come back in shower stalls, clothes and towels washed with bleach would never hold body odor again, etc.. In general, using less bleach is a good thing with septic systems. So is using less salt, and never using a garbage disposal. Hair in a properly designed septic system should never reach the leach field.
Harry Chickpea, does using a water softner system affect the septic system?

Old 04-14-2009, 08:30 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
I caught my wife putting chicken wings down the disposer. I freaked out. I shudder to think what she's doing when I'm not around. Please tell me I'm right.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:51 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
The sodium from the softener shouldn't be a big issue. If you want to feed your septic bacteria, give 'em some sour milk or other milk products.

Chicken wings. Not sure what else your wife might be putting down the disposal. I can imagine a mystery story with a disappearing body...

The bones will become sediment. Not a big deal, just means more cleaning of the tank. The meat and skin will be digested easily. The fat... that could be a real problem. Maybe you could convince your wife to make burning oblations of the chicken wings? The big guy LOVES the smell of BBQ.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:01 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonguru View Post
Well, you're both right-
If you're just running the disposal no water is needed.
But, if you're actually grinding something to a pulp- then add water!
It helps the solids migrate down the drain; nothing more, nothing less.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:42 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I caught my wife putting chicken wings down the disposer. I freaked out. I shudder to think what she's doing when I'm not around. Please tell me I'm right.
My first disposal was a , "bone crusher". So maybe if it is that model you are ok
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House