Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2015, 08:28 PM

528 posts, read 823,460 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of a body shop that does rust repairs. I have one small spot in one of my rear fender lip and it seems most shops don't even want to mess with it. One shop said the only way they would do the job is to cut the entire rear fender off the car and weld a new one on for $3,500. I just need the one spot fixed, the car still runs and look great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 11:33 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
Usually it is what you don't see that will get you with rust. If you have a Jeep Cherokee as your name implies, replacing a fender is probably the best course but it should not be a $3500 fix. More like $500 plus paint.

But if you are determined to sand a little and them paint a little on the spot you can see, put a post on Craigslist for a moonlighter and see his work and call references. A guy can do that job in his own garage for a fraction of the book rate.

If that is a Cherokee, post up on Jeep forum to find someone. Ask the question in the paint forum and then post in the wanted section.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:53 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,535,780 times
And if they do a good job, please PM me the contact info. I may need the services of an auto body man in the Cincinatti area in the future. My experience is that shops overcharge and think that every repair needs to be show room quality. It doesn't.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:43 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
And if they do a good job, please PM me the contact info. I may need the services of an auto body man in the Cincinatti area in the future. My experience is that shops overcharge and think that every repair needs to be show room quality. It doesn't.
We all have opinions about body work. Yes, a fer years ago when I decided to purchase a wheelchair conversion Minivan from a private owner I realized it needed some body work, mainly on the rear fenders. So I went to a body shop in my area somewhere in Pisgha I believe. They did a decent job, looked brand new wen they finished.

After a little more than 4 years, doesn't look so brand new anymore. I see some of the blisters now bleediing through. I realize that is rust. Seen enough of that in my life. But when when it affects the vehicle you depend upon for your lifestyle things change. I have a 1997 Dodge conversion Minivan to haul my wife's wheelchaiir around. Until it will No Longer to the job, I am wlling tp sacrifice anything in this houshold to insure it happens.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:01 PM

KJ, that is quite sentimental, your post about the wheelchair van. I hope it lasts as long as you need it.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:49 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
Wilson513 ... Hey it will! plain and simple. One of the things you learn as you get older, there is nothing you cannot duplicate. I have a local mechanic, started when his father owned the shop. When I bought the current wheelchair conversion van, told him what the cost of a brand new one was. Also told him my intention was to run this thing into the ground. He told me I can put a whole new engine, drive train, and about anything else you may need in this van for a fraction of what you say the new cost. Yes I have already put a number of items in it already, never regretting any of them. There is only one purpose of a vehicle far as I am concerned, get you from here to there under your condition. Beyond that they are useless equipment. When you get old enough to need a wheelchair conversion van in your driveway you will know what mean.

Life doesn't always deal with us in simple terms But you have to prepare for it some time in advance, otherwise you get what you get.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:18 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,542,514 times
Orr's Auto Body in Madisonville. I had right and left rockers repaired on my car for around $1,000. Wilson is right...the rust you see is often just the tip of the iceberg. It's hard for a shop to tell what they are dealing with until they get into the work. In my case, once they cut out the visible rust, it revealed significant rot inside and they had to fabricate a lot of metal to restore the car to original condition. Orr's does A+ work. They specialize in BMW, Mercedes, and other luxury cars, and their reputation is well known for doing a quality, honest job. I have had them do a few jobs for me over the years and I have never been disappointed. In fact, once when my car was wrecked, my insurance company asked where I wanted to take it, and I said Orr's, they said no problem...they deal with them regularly, they were easy to work with and do a good job.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:36 AM

528 posts, read 823,460 times
Actually the 16 year old Cherokee is still rust free, it's the wife's '05 Mazda 6. There is one spot of rust on the inside lip of the passenger rear fender that is just starting to work it's way under the paint on the out side of the fender. I think it design problem with the first gen Mazda 6, I see a lot of them with rust in that exact spot and no where else. Once the weather breaks I will stop by Orr's, the rear bumper and the grille could use a repaint as well. If it were me I would replace the car but, the wife really likes this one and will probably run it into the ground because of her carpaymentitis.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjken View Post
Actually the 16 year old Cherokee is still rust free, it's the wife's '05 Mazda 6. There is one spot of rust on the inside lip of the passenger rear fender that is just starting to work it's way under the paint on the out side of the fender. I think it design problem with the first gen Mazda 6, I see a lot of them with rust in that exact spot and no where else. Once the weather breaks I will stop by Orr's, the rear bumper and the grille could use a repaint as well. If it were me I would replace the car but, the wife really likes this one and will probably run it into the ground because of her carpaymentitis.

I guess if its a body shop you are after, i'd have to recommend Luken Autobody on Compton Road in, what is that? Wyoming, Lockland? They are old school guys and have fixed rust for me before.

Here is the end product of my last visit there. They fixed everything below the chrome strip.
Attached Thumbnails
Good body shop for rust repair-dsc_0118.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: