Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 12:11 PM

161 posts, read 240,320 times

Advertisements

Looking for a hotel for the April series Card/Reds. Westin seems to be the cheaper of the three for some reason. The westin in STL is one of the best hotels while the other three are a lower level of hotel. Curious why they are so much cheaper in Cincinnati then STL?
I booked the Westin but am now wondering if this may be a mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 12:42 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliman91 View Post
Looking for a hotel for the April series Card/Reds. Westin seems to be the cheaper of the three for some reason. The westin in STL is one of the best hotels while the other three are a lower level of hotel. Curious why they are so much cheaper in Cincinnati then STL?
I booked the Westin but am now wondering if this may be a mistake.

I like the Westin Cincinnati. But, it more of a business hotel. Generic rooms, not much in amenities. Good location for the ball park and restaurants.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:51 PM

As long as its clean and has a couple options for meals within walking distance and from google maps its an easy walk to GAB I am okay with it.

Not sure why I would complain about spending less than expected for a decent hotel but i just wanted to make sure I wasnt booking a hotel thats either under construction/rehab or is in bad shape etc.

Thanks for the reply!

Old 03-23-2015, 05:18 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,972,433 times
Cards will be staying at the Westin. Good business man's hotel; Renaissance has a lot more pizazz-----I say stay at Westin and have drinks at Renaissance on your way back after the game. They have a cool bar.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:39 AM

Thanks flashes! Renaissance was something like 100 bucks more a night too. Thanks for the tip on the bar.
Any other must see stops around the ballpark or within walking distance of the Westin you may reccommend?

Old 03-24-2015, 09:33 AM

410 posts, read 586,627 times
The Westin faces Fountain Square, commonly refered to as Cincinnati's living room. Many weekends there are things happening on the Square. There are lots of great places to eat within a block or so. One of my favorites, Via Vite, is on the Square. The Contemporary Art Center is around the corner on 4th Street.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:07 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
I always considered the Westin a nice place and one of the more upscale hotels in Cincy. As noted it faces Fountain Square which is Cincinnati's living room. Plenty of places to eat and drink. Unless the owners have just let it go to Hell, which I can't believe on Fountain Square, should be just a fine place to go for a ball game stay.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:45 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,972,433 times
Another tip: don't check-in to your hotel within 2 hours of the game. There will be a lot of Cards fans making the trip East, and I've seen some looooong lines of Cards fans checking into their hotel right before weekend games. Not my idea of a good time.

Here's what I would recommend to an out-of town fan, time/weather permitting:

1. 3-4 hours before the game, head south on Vine Street (turn left outside the Westin) until it dead-ends at the Ohio River.

2. Head East towards GABP on the new jogging path that runs along the river.

3. You'll walk past The Banks and GABP----stop at Sawyer Point and then walk over the Ohio River on the Purple People Bridge (the longest pedestrian-only bridge in the country). Turn around and come back once you get across it----The bridge offers some of the best views of downtown as you head back.

4. On the way back to GABP stop at the Banks for a couple beers and dinner. Take your pick of eateries. It will be packed with fans.

5. After the game----take a cab to Over-the-Rhine (OTR)----Rhinegheist Brewery specifically--beautiful +100 year old building----cab it down to hot spots in the heart of OTR such as Bakersfield and A Tavola.....and because you're an out of town sports fan---check out Nick Lachey's sports bar conveniently called Lachey's Bar. Easy 10 minute walk down Vine Street back to your hotel---however, it's recommended you don't walk from OTR to Rhinegheist late at night----I've done it (and I'm a suburbanite), and it's only 5-6 blocks to Rhinegheist, but it could be dicey----up to you. But if you're into Beer (like I am)----you have to go to Rhinegheist. Trust me on that one.

Additionally: if you want to reduce the walking to Purple People Bridge----rent bicycles----google the "red bikes of Cincinnati" but you rent them by the hour---and they're located all over the city----rent right outside the Westin and drop them off at The Banks.

If you're around Sunday morning, and have the time, go back up to OTR for brunch at Taste of Belgium.

Last edited by flashes1; 03-24-2015 at 01:58 PM..

Old 03-25-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
don't check-in to your hotel within 2 hours of the game. There will be a lot of Cards fans making the trip East, and I've seen some looooong lines of Cards fans checking into their hotel right before weekend games. Not my idea of a good time.
I dont think we will make into town till maybe 6 which would make it 7 in Cincinnati. So hopefully most of the people will be already checked in and on their way to the game.
Can you recommend a good place to watch the game on Friday evening? Since you mentioned The Banks is this the area just to the West of the GABP? This kind of the gathering area before and after the game?

Quote:
After the game----take a cab to Over-the-Rhine (OTR)----Rhinegheist Brewery specifically--beautiful +100 year old building----cab it down to hot spots in the heart of OTR such as Bakersfield and A Tavola.....and because you're an out of town sports fan---check out Nick Lachey's sports bar conveniently called Lachey's Bar. Easy 10 minute walk down Vine Street back to your hotel---however, it's recommended you don't walk from OTR to Rhinegheist late at night----I've done it (and I'm a suburbanite), and it's only 5-6 blocks to Rhinegheist, but it could be dicey----up to you. But if you're into Beer (like I am)----you have to go to Rhinegheist. Trust me on that one.
Thats exactly what I was thinking about doing. I cant imagine Downtown Cincinnati can be any worse then St Louis Downtown.
Thanks for the heads up since its just me and the wife a cab might be a good idea.
Definitely want to check out the local beer. Are there tour's or is it just a bar?

Thanks for all the great info

Old 03-25-2015, 08:57 AM

610 posts, read 796,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliman91 View Post
I dont think we will make into town till maybe 6 which would make it 7 in Cincinnati. So hopefully most of the people will be already checked in and on their way to the game.
Can you recommend a good place to watch the game on Friday evening? Since you mentioned The Banks is this the area just to the West of the GABP? This kind of the gathering area before and after the game?

Thats exactly what I was thinking about doing. I cant imagine Downtown Cincinnati can be any worse then St Louis Downtown.
Thanks for the heads up since its just me and the wife a cab might be a good idea.
Definitely want to check out the local beer. Are there tour's or is it just a bar?

Thanks for all the great info
Rhinegeist Brewery tours Friday 430pm and Saturday at 1pm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: