Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 11:51 AM

4 posts, read 4,664 times

Advertisements

Due to my husbands job, we will be moving to the Cincinnati area from the northwester Ohio area in the spring of 2017. After doing a lot of research and making a few visits to the area, we have crossed several areas off of our list. We are now looking at the West Chester and Liberty township areas. Does anyone have any good feedback on these areas? I'll include the answers to the questions.

Have you searched this forum for answers to your questions before posting a new inquiry? yes
. What specific topic have you not found answers to? Specific neighborhoods in these areas, any advice from parents who have children in the Lakota school district?

. Where is you current location and environment? suburban area of Lima, Ohio
. Are you looking for similar in Cincinnati or a change? Change, would like to keep suburban area but find more restaurant/shopping and family activities close by.

. Where will your work location be? Husband will work in Delhi (he has driven to the area for work many times already and is fine with the commute). I am a nurse and would like more options than a hospital setting to work in.
. Maximum commute time desired? 45-mins to 1 hour.

. What is you budget for housing? $200,000-$250,000
. Rent or buy? Buy
. Type (Apt., Condo, Single Family) Single Family
. Size (Approx. Sq. Ft., # Bedrooms & Baths) At least 3 bedrooms, prefer 4
. Other specifics? Basement

. Neighborhood environment? Suburb, would prefer an area with families/kids
. . Suburban, low maintenance, quiet streets, soccer mom atmosphere
. Family oriented
. Lots of same age kids, activities
. Great schools
.. Modern, 15 yrs old or less, move-in ready

. Yard - medium-large (1/2 acre or more)
. Very safe, low crime area?-safety is a huge factor- low crime area is a must. kids love to ride bikes around neighborhood and we love to walk.

. . Schools?
.. High Ranked Public schools
. Small or large district?- either
. Diverse student body?
. Strong athletics? our kids are involved in swim and cheer so far- would love to continue this.
. Consider Private schools?- no

. Community amenities?

. Town/city community center for adults & kids
. Swimming, fitness center, running track, adult activities
. Nearby fitness centers & clubs
. Lots of parks & youth athletic leagues
. Jogging & biking trails
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 08:02 AM

113 posts, read 276,752 times
I don't really know much about the schools, which ones are best, but I think West Chester and Mason are great places to live. I think I preferred Mason a little bit and seems like they had a very nice high school. Any area near the Voice of America Park and shopping area would be very convenient. Now of course they have the new Liberty shopping area which I hear is great.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,431 times
You can definitely find exactly what you are looking for, and much closer to Delhi than Liberty Township and Mason. There are many great areas on the westside (including Delhi), where your husband will be working, where you will find great neighborhoods/developments and housing in that price range, in Oak Hills School District. Delhi is a 40+ minute commute each way or worse from Liberty Township or Mason (down I-75, around I-275, to I-74, presumably Rybolt/Harrison exit, and then backroads) ... my own opinion is that, from a "family time" and quality of life point of view, I would live on the westside and eliminate.

If you must be north of the city for some reason, I would look at Wyoming (Wyoming Schools), Blue Ash (Sycamore Schools), and some of the north-central suburbs, which would take maybe 15-20 minutes off of his commute and provide what you are looking for. I live and work in this area, and you can definitely find all of the things you are looking for in our communities.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:06 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,589,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidRun View Post
You can definitely find exactly what you are looking for, and much closer to Delhi than Liberty Township and Mason. There are many great areas on the westside (including Delhi), where your husband will be working, where you will find great neighborhoods/developments and housing in that price range, in Oak Hills School District. Delhi is a 40+ minute commute each way or worse from Liberty Township or Mason (down I-75, around I-275, to I-74, presumably Rybolt/Harrison exit, and then backroads) ... my own opinion is that, from a "family time" and quality of life point of view, I would live on the westside and eliminate.

If you must be north of the city for some reason, I would look at Wyoming (Wyoming Schools), Blue Ash (Sycamore Schools), and some of the north-central suburbs, which would take maybe 15-20 minutes off of his commute and provide what you are looking for. I live and work in this area, and you can definitely find all of the things you are looking for in our communities.
Just getting from I-74 to Mount Saint Joe is a 25 minute drive. The commute would definitely be over an hour, possibly longer depending on the commute time.

Also agree on your last sentence. I'd rather be getting home 45 minutes earlier everyday to spend time with my family than have a very long commute just so I can be five minutes from my favorite stores.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:50 AM

389 posts, read 331,220 times
You may want to look in Hebron, south of the river. It's a very nice place, very safe, and property taxes are way less.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:30 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,617,255 times
I grew up in Lima small world.

I would honestly look at Western Hills or somewhere close by. The issue with Delhi there isn't any good way to get there via a highway or a major artery. Oak Hills is a good school system and when I initially moved to Delhi out of the City one of the reasons was due to school system. 45 minutes would be a really good day catching every light. An hour to an hour fifteen is realistic. I drove a lot in Cincinnati when I worked for Cincinnati Bell so I knew traffic patterns and drive times.

Also take ms12345 advice and look south of the river, the 2nd house we bought was south of the river in Union, KY. It's very much like West Chester just south of the river and the property taxes are not out of control. My house I own there total taxes on a 220k house are $2800 per year.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:47 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,985,826 times
There are advantages to south of the river, but you will also have a lengthy commute from there. Not as bad as West Chester or Mason, but I agree with the posters who recommended looking nearer work and in the Oak Hills SD.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:55 AM

89 posts, read 113,044 times
Glad to see some people recommending westside communities to people that will be working on the westside for once. Mason, Liberty Twship?? While working/commuting on the westside. Holy moly what a commute. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. I would highly recommend looking into the above communities suggested on the westside. My husband works in Indiana and we chose to live in the city limits on the westside and love it but its not for everyone. Especially if you start off asking about Mason and Liberty Twship. Good luck! Welcome to Cincinnati!

Old 09-04-2016, 07:08 PM

124 posts, read 138,553 times
I cannot recommend that commute especially the Delhi area. Your commute will be on average 40 minutes. The main reason people like the west side is the community and family environment. The problem is, your an outsider. Other than the west side pride, it doesn't have much that appealed to me. If you've been through it, you probably already know. Mason is nice but that will add even more time on your commute, especially in the evenings. I'd live in Blue ash near Ronald Reagan, south of the river or in West Chester with easy access to 275.

I taught in the Oak Hills School system and made that commute from Loveland for a year. Oak Hills schools are probably about the same as Lakota schools. Above average but nothing great.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:19 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,881,788 times
I have family in Mason OH, Blue Ash OH and Indian Hill. Mason can be a bit pricey in some parts but you might be able to find something nice around 300k and same with Blue Ash. Sycamore and Mason are both very good school districts not as good as Indian Hill but really good.I used to commute from Mason to Downtown which is pretty far but I wanted to live in Mason OH it's a really nice town probably one of the nicest in all of OH. It depends on how far you are willing to commute. Welcome to Cincy and good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: