Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 08:10 AM

24 posts, read 25,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I was curious, and found I could look up statistics on population makeup by school district. I realize this may not be directly reflected in the school population itself, but Sycamore (discussed earlier) and Northwest district populations are both 84% white. Wyoming SD, as anyone with even surface knowledge of the area would guess, comes in at 98%.
Not sure what your sources are, but was curious, as 98% white seemed way too high for Wyoming, from my experience.
According to information found here on City Data, here are actual school district figures. These are however, from 2009:

Northwest High School 58% white
//www.city-data.com/school/nort...school-oh.html
(scroll down to pie chart)

Sycamore High School 77% white
//www.city-data.com/school/syca...school-oh.html

Wyoming High School 80% white
//www.city-data.com/school/wyom...school-oh.html
(school down to pie chart)

Less easy to get to, but more recent, are 2016 figures from the report you can open in Excel on this site
FY2016 District Profile Report | Ohio Department of Education

Northwest School District - 56% white
Sycamore School District - 65% white
Wyoming School District - 78% white
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 01:16 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roll2home View Post
Not sure what your sources are, but was curious, as 98% white seemed way too high for Wyoming, from my experience.
According to information found here on City Data, here are actual school district figures. These are however, from 2009:

Less easy to get to, but more recent, are 2016 figures from the report you can open in Excel on this site

My info came from a website called proximity one.com. It looked reasonably dependable, but I'm not sure where they got their data. It also was a few years old. I guess I'm in deep trouble now with Jake if your numbers are more accurate.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:59 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roll2home View Post

In your high school numbers, you'd need to include at least Colerain HS along with Northwest HS in the Northwest SD figures. (Well, technically, I guess you'd need to include all the elementary and middle schools, too, but let's don't even try to go there.)

For purposes of completeness about Northwest SD, City-Data reports Colerain is 73.5 percent white and 20 percent black, and that would be the high school serving the Monfort Heights area which I mentioned to the OP. Realize I'm beating this topic to death, but to the point, whether you want black kids in your school or not, there aren't enough of them at Colerain to be a factor. Jake is as usual hopelessly uninformed.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:31 AM

53 posts, read 70,292 times
Thanks everyone. This is kinda going in a different direction than how I started this thread. I continue to look and have yet to find anything. I hope the market starts to heat up and people start listing their homes. There is one new one in North Avondale but not sure I want to pull the trigger on it yet if more houses start popping up on the market soon.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:55 AM

410 posts, read 586,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Investor001 View Post
Thanks everyone. This is kinda going in a different direction than how I started this thread. I continue to look and have yet to find anything. I hope the market starts to heat up and people start listing their homes. There is one new one in North Avondale but not sure I want to pull the trigger on it yet if more houses start popping up on the market soon.
It's Spring, lots of real estate hit in the Spring. If you haven't done it already, joint the neighborhood Facebook groups. I have seen several houses posted in Pleasant Ridge in the last couple weeks.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi in cinci View Post
It's Spring, lots of real estate hit in the Spring. If you haven't done it already, joint the neighborhood Facebook groups. I have seen several houses posted in Pleasant Ridge in the last couple weeks.
Mimi, thanks so much! I have finally started to get some traction with my search. I decided to rent in Madeira since I could not find what I wanted closer in. I actually like Madeira but the traffic on 71 is getting difficult. So, I finally found a nice house in Pleasant Ridge on orchard (from Facebook originally) and a couple in Clifton, just south of Ludlow. Also, a couple smaller ones (about 500 square feet less) popped up in Mariemont. I have visited that inner ring suburb about 5 minutes from Madeira and like its charm and walkability. Just not sure I want to live in that much smaller of a house. What are the Cincinnati experts' thoughts?

Old 07-31-2017, 07:44 AM

183 posts, read 197,182 times
Quote:
Mimi, thanks so much! I have finally started to get some traction with my search. I decided to rent in Madeira since I could not find what I wanted closer in. I actually like Madeira but the traffic on 71 is getting difficult. So, I finally found a nice house in Pleasant Ridge on orchard (from Facebook originally) and a couple in Clifton, just south of Ludlow. Also, a couple smaller ones (about 500 square feet less) popped up in Mariemont. I have visited that inner ring suburb about 5 minutes from Madeira and like its charm and walkability. Just not sure I want to live in that much smaller of a house. What are the Cincinnati experts' thoughts?
Mariemont really is a lovely neighborhood. The biggest draw back for me was that it had a higher than usual number of rather snobbish people. The sort who want you to be acutely aware of just how well to do they are. My wife managed the Mariemont starbucks for a couple of years and she routinely had to deal with just absolutely vile people. I actually grew up nearby and my parents chose to move to Pleasant Ridge to get away from the toxic atmosphere. It's a shame, because it really is beautiful. I personally do not think it would be worth the hassle if you're getting 500 sq ft. less. I'd say go with Pleasant Ridge or Clifton. I currently live in Kennedy Heights, which is the neighborhood just east of Pleasant Ridge. PR is actually one of my favorite neighborhoods in the area at the moment, as it seems something new is always opening. It also has Everybody's Records, which is one of the best record shops in town. I think you'd get the biggest house for your money in PR as well.

Just some thoughts, hope the search goes well!

Old 07-31-2017, 09:09 AM

410 posts, read 586,978 times
Quote:
Orchard Lane in Pleasant Ridge is a fabulous street. I admit to full prejudice since my grandparents lived on Orchard for years. Fast forward 30 years and my kids have friends who have moved on to Orchard. It's a street that continues to have good families and is surrounded by a good community.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomomo07 View Post
Mariemont really is a lovely neighborhood. The biggest draw back for me was that it had a higher than usual number of rather snobbish people. The sort who want you to be acutely aware of just how well to do they are. My wife managed the Mariemont starbucks for a couple of years and she routinely had to deal with just absolutely vile people. I actually grew up nearby and my parents chose to move to Pleasant Ridge to get away from the toxic atmosphere. It's a shame, because it really is beautiful. I personally do not think it would be worth the hassle if you're getting 500 sq ft. less. I'd say go with Pleasant Ridge or Clifton. I currently live in Kennedy Heights, which is the neighborhood just east of Pleasant Ridge. PR is actually one of my favorite neighborhoods in the area at the moment, as it seems something new is always opening. It also has Everybody's Records, which is one of the best record shops in town. I think you'd get the biggest house for your money in PR as well.

Thanks. I'm actually looking at 1600-2500 sq foot places in Mariemont vs 2000-3000 sq ft places in Clifton and Pleasant Ridge. I was saying the homes in Mariemont for the price are usually 500 square feet smaller.

Last edited by Investor001; 07-31-2017 at 11:32 AM..

Old 07-31-2017, 01:14 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomomo07 View Post

OK, let's straighten this out.

Look, there are snobbish people in the world. Lots of them. But, they live all over the place. There is no spring fed water fountain in Mariemont that makes people snobbish. And, it is not as though people who are snobs say to themselves, "wow! Mariemont is our kind of place."

Now you could say some negative things about Mariemont residents. You could say, how can they stand living in a place so non-diverse? (You couldn't find a black person in Mariemont with the help of the FBI).

Or, you could say: Geez! Mariemont was founded by a lady who was anti-Semietic and anti Cathollic! Double play! How can they live there knowing that? That would be true.

But, snobbish? I doubt it.

More likely, it is that folks in Mariemont make about twice as much as the average Ohioan, and the houses there cost about three times the average house elsewhere. Maybe, it is the economic superiority of the residents that you find off putting. But, then, that would be for you to sort out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati