Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2008, 01:30 PM

69 posts, read 269,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBankGirl View Post
Finally, someone remembers those malts on a stick! I too remember the store that sold the candy in bulk. I think it was called Beckstedts Candies. They use to provide the candy for all the schools when they used to sell it for fund raisers.

I had to laugh out loud when you mentioned those crazy lips and the wax "milk bottles" filled with that surgary liquid. You can still find those around here.

The Oakley Grade School has now been torn down and in it's place stands a CVS Pharmacy and Fresh Market.

Do you get through Oakley very often?
I went to Oakley Grade School in the 6th grade. (1965-66)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
No, I live in Oregon. I haven't been back to Cincy since we left in 1958 or 9.

The candy store had glass counters with candies in trays or bowls. You pointed to what you wanted and told them how much you had to spend and they'd scoop up a bit, weigh it, and hand it to you in a little white paper bag. They had tables and shelves with candies as well.

I vaguely remember the school. An old brick building with wooden everything inside. I remember one 4th grade teacher though, an old woman tough as nails. I happened to lean back in my chair to stretch with my head was leaning back. She had one of those long wood pointer rods, and whacked me across the throat with it. That really hurt and left me gasping for air. Then she accused me of not paying attention. I guess you could say I wasn't very fond of her after that.

I also remember across the street from the school and a block or two down was a movie theater on Madison Road. Close to Christmas time, they let kids in for free to watch cartoons and kid movies, in the morning I think. Seems like the kids from the orphanage went as well.
There were 2 movie theaters in Oakley... the 20th Century and the Ambassador.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Friends of mine in Cincy told me that Coney Island (or at least the amusement park) was torn down. It's good to know some of the rides were moved to Kings Island. Which ones? I don't doubt Kings Island is pretty spendy. So the swimming pool is still at Coney? Wasn't there a race track there as well?

Glad to hear you know about LeSourdsville (I misspelled it earlier) Lake. Is it still up or has it been torn down as well? It wasn't a very large amusement park, but there was still enough to make it enjoyable. We used to swim in the lake.

Some of the newer rides that are being developed today really look great. I don't go on thrill rides anymore. Just too old for it now. But I sure loved 'em when I was young.

I just remembered another roller coster at Coney Island was called the Cyclone. Which ones were your favorite?

Here's a link with a few photos of Coney Island. The rides don't look the same as from the 1950s, but the entrance gate is exactly the way it was in the 1950s. You'll need to scroll down the page a ways.
The Official "TPR MidWest USA 2007" Trip Thread! - Theme Park Review

Some old photos of some of the rides
Welcome to Coney Island Park (http://www.coneyislandpark.com/plan_history.php - broken link)
River Downs was the racetrack. It was next door to Coney. It was still there in the early /80's. These are great memories. Thanks to everyone.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwoodsman View Post
who remembers the train ride... i do when i was on it it went around a lake
The lake was called Lake Cuomo. The train was named something like "the LC & CI or something like that. I remember that it had Indians that would pop up and start shooting/

Old 11-07-2008, 01:54 PM

This forum is just great! I've been wanting to look up or find information on Stratford Manor for some time now. When I found this today, I couldn't stop reading this and one of the other forums...now I'm late for an appointment.

I know I have a couple of photos, too, that were taken when I lived there. I also still have a bunch of stuff from Lyon Jr. High when I went there. I haven't lived in Cincinnati since '81, but have been very nostalgic for it lately. My parents still live there and I do go visit once or twice a year, but don't get to see or do much when I'm there.

One last memory... I was walking home from my 4th grade class at Eastwood when a girl who was in the 3rd grade girl named Diane stuck her head out of her apartment window to shout to us that President Kennedy had been shot. I was halfway home and remembered that we didn't believe her at first, but then ran home as fast as we could hoping it wasn't true.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:57 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,632,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiDiana View Post
River Downs was the racetrack. It was next door to Coney. It was still there in the early /80's. These are great memories. Thanks to everyone.

Yes! That's it! Thanks ChiDiana for your sharp memory! And welcome to this thread. I gave you a deserved Rep point.

And you're right about the lake. I thought it was Lake Como, but I might be wrong about the spelling.

BTW, do you happen to recall the address you lived at on Kingsley Drive? I lived on that street also. but several years before you did.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Yes! That's it! Thanks ChiDiana for your sharp memory! And welcome to this thread. I gave you a deserved Rep point.

And you're right about the lake. I thought it was Lake Como, but I might be wrong about the spelling.

BTW, do you happen to recall the address you lived at on Kingsley Drive? I lived on that street also. but several years before you did.
Sorry, I don't remember that detail. I lived in 3 different apartments there...the first on Shelbourne, then we moved to the far end of Kingsley in the last building on the corner. After school ended, I went to live with my father in Winton Place. A few years later, in 1967-68 we moved there again, this time in a cottage about a block from the other end.

Thanks for the point! The reason I remember River Downs is that my mom took me there a few times when I was younger.

Oh, and one other thing I remember about Stratford Manor (I'm sure I'll be rmembering a lot of things...) When I lived there some of the middle apt. buildings had basements with laundrys. Does anyone else remember that? There was an entrance on either side of the building, in the back. Our apartment on Shelbourne had one, but I don't recall the apartment on Kingsley having anything like it.

I also remember that there were a couple of boys that were maybe Native Americans who used to walk around the neighborhood and pick up litter with those poles that have nails on the end?

Old 11-08-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiDiana View Post

Oh, and one other thing I remember about Stratford Manor (I'm sure I'll be rmembering a lot of things...) When I lived there some of the middle apt. buildings had basements with laundrys. Does anyone else remember that? There was an entrance on either side of the building, in the back. Our apartment on Shelbourne had one, but I don't recall the apartment on Kingsley having anything like it.

I don't remember any apartment buildings with basements. I wouldn't doubt some of the buildings had neighborhood laundrys on the first floor though. Also, there were changes at the Manor after we left around 1958 or 59, like adding a swimming pool. I remember down an alley just off Kingsley there was a laundromat building. Behind it was a field and an access point into the eastside gulley with brush, trees and a small stream flowing through it.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:24 PM

325 posts, read 1,124,725 times
ChiDiana, It's good to see you join us. You are right about the laundramats. Some of the apartments courts had them in the center apartments, and like you said you could enter them from either side in the back of the building. It was sorta like a slope, it was fun to ride your bikes down the slopes. Like NightBaazar said there was a big laundramat , it was next to the daycare or nursary as they called it which was caddy corner behind the drug store.
I know of one native american faily that lived in the apartment on the corner of Eastwood and Kingsley, it faced Eastwood Dr. I remember this because it was caddy corner across from our building and I would sometimes walk with a girl from that family to either the bus stop at the end of Eastwood Circle or Lyons. Their last name was Spottedhorse. The girls first name was Robin and she was deaf. I don't remember how long they lived there though. I would guess that the boys you were talking about probably worked for the Manor, there was a maintance building connected to the big laundramat. The Manor had several crews of workers that maintained the yards and painted the buildings and whatever else needed done. It will be nice if you can find those photos. I'll come across some when I get out my christmas stuff. Bye for now, Hyden

Old 11-08-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyden View Post
Like NightBaazar said there was a big laundramat , it was next to the daycare or nursary as they called it which was caddy corner behind the drug store.

The laundromat I was talking about was on the other side of the manor. It was pretty big as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati