Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2009, 04:24 PM

204 posts, read 744,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Sometime back we were recalling the theater in Oakley. Guess what I just found?

OH Oakley - 20th Century on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/10707024@N04/2565500131/ - broken link)
The 20th Century Theatre is now used as a concert hall and rented out for private functions. It still looks the same outside. I haven't been inside, although there have been a few shows there i wanted to see.

I saw so many movies there as a kid. When the original "Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory" was there, everone got a chocolate bar with a golden ticket inside. I remember seeing "The Yellow Submarine", and just about every Disney movie ever made in the 60's, early 70's at the 20th Century.

As for the Oakley Drive-In, we went there pretty much most of my life, until they closed. I think there is some kind of company truck parking lot there now.

Thanks, Hyden, for welcoming me back. I still read this forum, but haven't had a lot to add to it recently. I am still here, and will jump in when I have something to add!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 11:51 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times
This is not exactly Stratford Manor related, but those of us who lived there may remember some of these views of Coney Island. I'm not sure how old some of these images are, but many of the rides shown were there in the 1950s. There's also a short view of looking down into The Rotor, a barrel-like machine that people get in and stand against the padded wall. The machine spins, pinning you to the wall, and the floor drops down. There are also views of the Shooting Star and the Wild Cat roller coasters. If you look carefully, you'll see the price to ride the Wild Cat was 15-cents. There's a coaster called the Clipper. I don't remember that one. I'm wondering if it was an early name for the Wild Cat.

Good times!

YouTube - CONEY ISLAND OHIO amusement park, pre-1971 roller coasters

Old 07-08-2009, 12:59 PM

325 posts, read 1,124,319 times
NightBazaar, I loved the video I rode most of those rides !!! I rode the Shooting Star 15 times in a row one day. Now you couldn't pay me enough to get on any ride. Hyden

Old 07-08-2009, 06:57 PM

185 posts, read 458,516 times
Wow!Thanks NightBazzar,that was great.I remember that crazy roller coaster,wouldn`t be caught on one now.lol

Old 07-08-2009, 09:38 PM

Glad you enjoyed it. I was surprised to find it. I wish it had shown more. But what it showed was excellent and very nostalgic. I loved seeing the Rotor. That was always fun. Did you notice the the lake with the "turnpike" running through it? That was the first time I ever drove a car, even if it was only a fancy go-cart.

I'm with both of you in that I can't do coasters anymore either. Sure was tons of fun way back when though. Lots of smells from the concessions stands, screams from the rides, the fast clacking sound of the roller coasters. After dark, the park was like a whole 'nuther world with all the lights flashing and blinking. And what really made it so much fun was going there with friends and sharing the good times together. What a blast!

Old 07-11-2009, 06:21 AM

2 posts, read 4,758 times
how is your sister judy doing?

Old 07-11-2009, 11:37 AM

101 posts, read 228,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynewcar View Post
how is your sister judy doing?
she's ok.... if u want talk more get my email from hyden (betty)

Old 07-11-2009, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,497 times
Default More Amusement Parks in Cincy

Who remembers Tiny town (located near Galbraith & Winton Rds)
Pee Wee Valley (on Reading Rd) Kissell Brothers (on Colerain)
I worked as a Ferris Wheel operator for them in the 60's at the park and @ Harvest Home Festival and Cincinnati Milacron Family Day.
LeSourdesville Lake was in it's later days known as Americana Amusement Park. You can visit these site to see some scary pix of what it looks like now:
Americana Amusement Park
Southwest Ohio Amusement Park Historical Society, Inc. (SOAPHS) (http://www.soaphs.com/americana/ - broken link)

Old 07-11-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fka-cincykid View Post
Who remembers Tiny town (located near Galbraith & Winton Rds)
Pee Wee Valley (on Reading Rd) Kissell Brothers (on Colerain)
I worked as a Ferris Wheel operator for them in the 60's at the park and @ Harvest Home Festival and Cincinnati Milacron Family Day.
LeSourdesville Lake was in it's later days known as Americana Amusement Park. You can visit these site to see some scary pix of what it looks like now:
Americana Amusement Park
Southwest Ohio Amusement Park Historical Society, Inc. (SOAPHS) (http://www.soaphs.com/americana/ - broken link)
Hello fka-cincykid! The only one of those you mentioned that I remember was Lesourdesville Lake in the latter half of the 50s. Here are a couple of home movie (no sound) vids of LeSourdesville Lake Amusement Park from the 50s and 60s.

YouTube - LeSourdsville Lake/Americana Amusement Park

YouTube - LeSourdsville Lake/Americana

Old 07-13-2009, 04:14 PM

185 posts, read 458,516 times
Hyden,I`ve been deep cleaning today and found my bible given to me from Eastwood Baptist Church for bringing a guest to sunday school[which was Connie Woosley.]The address stamped on the inside cover"5325 Eastwood Dr." the pastors name was also stamped as Rudy Kronst.I hope someone else will remember the church.A.F.D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati