Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 09:31 AM

21 posts, read 20,532 times

Advertisements

Does Cincinnati have suburbs that have easy access to the city via trains and buses? Maybe the ones that are part of Kentucky such as Covington?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 09:51 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,094,986 times
I live in Covington and yes, it has adequate bus service on the main lines. They start running around 5 AM and you can catch a bus until about 10 PM to 11 PM on some routes. www.tankbus.org. Covers Northern KY. They do connect in downtown Cincinnati with SORTA.

Not sure about AMTRAK Service here. The Choo Choo they have running a 3 mile loop in Cincinnati is worthless. No light rail or heavy rail in terms of commuter service to be found here.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:59 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Here's the link to the regional transportation system in southwestern Ohio:

http://www.go-metro.com/

Old 04-05-2019, 10:09 AM

183 posts, read 197,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I live in Covington and yes, it has adequate bus service on the main lines. They start running around 5 AM and you can catch a bus until about 10 PM to 11 PM on some routes. www.tankbus.org. Covers Northern KY. They do connect in downtown Cincinnati with SORTA.

Not sure about AMTRAK Service here. The Choo Choo they have running a 3 mile loop in Cincinnati is worthless. No light rail or heavy rail in terms of commuter service to be found here.

The choo choo referred to above with such silly disdain is the Cincinnati Bell Connector. It is a streetcar running from the riverfront up to the northern reaches of Over-the-Rhine. It is a useful tool to use to get around the downtown basin. It is somewhat limited at the moment but there are hopes it will be expanded in the future, when the current Mayoral administration has been replaced by someone who is more readily pro-transit. The running times are currently being re-calibrated to be more efficient and provide more timely service.

Metro, our bus system, is can be quite useful for daily commutes or travel within the city itself. Outside of city limits the service becomes very hit or miss and travel times become excessive. I live near Ludlow in Clifton, and I would love to be able to take the bus to my office in Blue Ash, about a twenty minute car ride away. Unfortunately, the same route on a metro bus would take roughly an hour and a half.

In closing, beware of the numerous nay-sayers and debbie downers on this site. They often like to make much ado about nothing and typically have a limited understanding of the basic facts. All the best to you!

Old 04-05-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomomo07 View Post
The choo choo referred to above with such silly disdain is the Cincinnati Bell Connector. It is a streetcar running from the riverfront up to the northern reaches of Over-the-Rhine. It is a useful tool to use to get around the downtown basin. It is somewhat limited at the moment but there are hopes it will be expanded in the future, when the current Mayoral administration has been replaced by someone who is more readily pro-transit. The running times are currently being re-calibrated to be more efficient and provide more timely service.

Metro, our bus system, is can be quite useful for daily commutes or travel within the city itself. Outside of city limits the service becomes very hit or miss and travel times become excessive. I live near Ludlow in Clifton, and I would love to be able to take the bus to my office in Blue Ash, about a twenty minute car ride away. Unfortunately, the same route on a metro bus would take roughly an hour and a half.

In closing, beware of the numerous nay-sayers and debbie downers on this site. They often like to make much ado about nothing and typically have a limited understanding of the basic facts. All the best to you!
The Trolley is a joke. Literally and an expensive one at that and resulting in tens of millions of dollars in red ink for the people of Cincinnati. And it impacts the entire region. I realize folks here at motor-man.com forum don't take kindly to differing opinions or in this case, facts that conflict with the "feelings" of some people towards the train wreck, but he needs to know the real deal about it. The Street Car is directly contributing to the growing annual fiscal deficits of the city. https://local12.com/news/local/city-...al-year-is-19m

Last edited by WILWRadio; 04-05-2019 at 11:23 AM..

Old 04-05-2019, 01:00 PM

610 posts, read 797,740 times
Quote:
The Trolley is a joke. Literally and an expensive one at that and resulting in tens of millions of dollars in red ink for the people of Cincinnati. And it impacts the entire region. I realize folks here at motor-man.com forum don't take kindly to differing opinions or in this case, facts that conflict with the "feelings" of some people towards the train wreck, but he needs to know the real deal about it. The Street Car is directly contributing to the growing annual fiscal deficits of the city. https://local12.com/news/local/city-...al-year-is-19m

Hey, I'm not sure, do you like the streetcar? I haven't heard much about it from you?

But seriously to OP...any of the express buses have decent service to specific suburbs. http://www.go-metro.com/mapsandschedules I live off Montgomery Rd and can easily take the Metro Plus from my house to my work in OTR. The Metro Plus is a very nice bus with very limited stops. It runs from Kenwood Mall to Downtown.

Also specifically for Kentucky buses check TANK. https://www.tankbus.org/. There's also the South Bank Shuttle that's ran by TANK.

Last edited by cincydave8; 04-05-2019 at 01:13 PM..

Old 04-05-2019, 01:56 PM

21 posts, read 20,532 times
Quote:

Do you know where I can find apartments in Covington for under 700 dollars a month?

Old 04-06-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanac View Post
Do you know where I can find apartments in Covington for under 700 dollars a month?
I'm sorry I really don't know. I own a small home and have never rented in this area. You may want to try some of the online services that show listings like Apartment Guide, For Rent etc. I've used them in the pasts most notably when I lived in the Kansas City area and was able to find suitable rentals using those sites or their printed guides that used to be found in supermarkets.

Old 04-07-2019, 06:02 PM

509 posts, read 433,985 times
I've heard Cincinnati has one of the longest abondended subway tunnel networks in the US. I'm curious how far along it was to being done before they stopped and is there any hope of going in and completing construction on this in the future? It would be really cool if they could, but just not sure the state of it today and how much investment it would take. I was in Cincy couple years ago and going again this summer. Love the city and hope it gets more robust rail transit someday!

Old 04-07-2019, 07:46 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,840,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanac View Post
Does Cincinnati have suburbs that have easy access to the city via trains and buses? Maybe the ones that are part of Kentucky such as Covington?
From Mason you can catch express buses(Kings Island park and ride) to downtown that uses the shoulder. They will be coming to 75 as well once the widning is completed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: