Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2020, 11:19 AM

64 posts, read 81,717 times

Advertisements

Although the governor has not said anything about reopening Ohio's movie theaters, the assumption is that they will likely reopen in the next couple of months. Evidently large chains like AMC and Regal have said that they are not reopening until mid-July when a couple of studios release big films (Mulan and some Christopher Nolan movie, I think), even if states allow them to open sooner.

I don't know what my comfort level with going to a theater is, even with social distancing. I really miss going to the movies, however. Streaming at home, even with a decent TV and sound system just doesn't feel the same.

How do people feel about returning to the theaters? I just don't know how theaters are going to survive- I sure will miss them if they go away, especially the arthouse theaters like The Mariemont and Esquire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 08:46 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincitransplant2 View Post

I don't know what my comfort level with going to a theater is, even with social distancing. I really miss going to the movies, however. Streaming at home, even with a decent TV and sound system just doesn't feel the same.

How do people feel about returning to the theaters? I just don't know how theaters are going to survive- I sure will miss them if they go away, especially the arthouse theaters like The Mariemont and Esquire.

There are a lot of great movies available on YouTube and IMDB.tv for free. Ditto for Pluto-TV. Many of the films are foreign and arthouse films.

As I usually see 50+ movies a year in standard theatres and arthouses, I am starting to reconsider the wisdom of driving to the theatre, paying admission, dealing with people with bad theatre manners, and exposing myself to the virus versus staying at home.

Old 05-30-2020, 10:52 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincitransplant2 View Post
I'd feel more comfortable going to the Mariemont and the Esquire than going to a large chain theater. The individual theaters are smaller and I'm guessing both staff and patrons would be more committed to following guidelines and keeping the place clean.

Old 08-02-2020, 08:23 PM

64 posts, read 81,717 times
Default reopened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'd feel more comfortable going to the Mariemont and the Esquire than going to a large chain theater. The individual theaters are smaller and I'm guessing both staff and patrons would be more committed to following guidelines and keeping the place clean.
The management at the Mariemont & Esquire (Kenwood is still closed) are giving out masks, hand sanitizer and an alcohol wipe with each ticket. They require people to wear masks in public spaces and I think request that people keep their masks on in their seats (if possible) except when eating or drinking. I think they were requiring masks inside even before the governor mandated it, and they apparently had consulted with some local doctors.

I heard that the recent rise in COVID counts in Cincinnati was linked more to family gatherings and bars, not places like movie theaters, so I am more comfortable going- though will likely not remove my mask...

Old 08-04-2020, 06:11 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
There are a lot of great movies available on YouTube and IMDB.tv for free. Ditto for Pluto-TV. Many of the films are foreign and arthouse films.

As I usually see 50+ movies a year in standard theatres and arthouses, I am starting to reconsider the wisdom of driving to the theatre, paying admission, dealing with people with bad theatre manners, and exposing myself to the virus versus staying at home.

Same here! Amazon and Netflix works well, in fact better than going to theater

Old 08-17-2020, 05:59 AM

183 posts, read 197,182 times
I've seen about 3 or 4 films at the Esquire since they reopened. I am COVID free and felt extremely safe each time I went.

Old 09-18-2020, 05:52 PM
on3

498 posts, read 385,242 times
Hands down the best movie experience is the cinabistro but it’s still closed. When it’s open however, be prepared to pay if you wanna play.

Tried the drive in Amelia but if you don’t use a small radio and ear buds it will suck because of the echo caused by the 2 loud speakers. The one in the back basically repeated everything being said in the front. Rather annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: