Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2008, 06:42 AM

71 posts, read 229,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiDiana View Post
The Bargain City Kid was Hy Ulner who owned Rinks. He had a great sense of humor. He sponsored the wrestling, as well as, I think, Shock Theater. One time when they were doing their Rink's commercial, the Sheik came on and actually broke his arm.
Wow the Sheik! That is going wayyy back now. My younger brother 34 was really into wrestling back then. I used to glance at it with him now and then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 10:18 AM

526 posts, read 1,482,605 times
Default Larry Smith

Here is a picture of Larry Smith & Puppets from the 2008 Harvest Home Parade.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you rmember the Cool Ghoul, Bob Shreve, Larry Smith . . .-larry-smith.jpg  

Old 11-20-2008, 04:31 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhead View Post
Farm Front. Used to get up early and all there was to watch was the price of Corn. Now was was TV!!!
OMG! I remember Farm Front. I think it was on at 5 a.m. on channel five.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:36 PM

133 posts, read 691,430 times
You're definitely right about 5 AM and right, I think, about it being on channel 5. As you might have deduced, I was not the best sleeper as a child.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 6,149 times
I was a contestant on Skipper Ryle in The 60s and would love to know if tapes were kept of those shows.Does anybody know? I played a game and won alot of great prizes..

Old 01-06-2009, 06:13 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times
Put in a call to WKRC. They should have "vaults."

Old 01-08-2009, 09:06 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,136,606 times
I got a great email from someone yesterday and reminded me of this thread (especially the where did you go to High School question, soda vs pop etc. Enjoy!
This is a "Cincinnati Memory Trip" and the person or persons who dreamed it up deserve a lot of credit for coming up with all these "Cincinnati Memories." They would be meaningless to anyone NOT from the Grand Old "Queen City" --- but lots of fun for those of us who have spent some years in that great city on the Ohio River! It brings back a lot of memories! Life in Cincinnati ....
You know you live (or have lived) in Cincinnati if...
You know the first pro baseball team ever was the Cincinnati Red > Stockings. (1869)
You remember watching Bob Shreve's "All Night Theater."
You call it 'pop' not soda or a soft drink.
You or your kids played KNOTHOLE ball not LITTLE LEAGUE.
You know that 'Millcreek would not be a good name for bottled water.
One of your favorite candies is a French Chew.
You remember that Ruth Lyons put flowers around her microphone.
You know that Norwood, Ohio is the only city that is completely surrounded by another city.
You could take a picnic basket to Coney Island leave it on a table and it was still there at lunch time.
You asked for a beer and it was brewed in Cincinnati.
Before Walmart there were Rink's, Ontario's, Zayre's and China Town.
You know 'Paul Baby's' last name was Dixon."
You watched "Hattie the Witch" featuring Larry Smith and his Puppets every afternoon.
You remember Bob Shreve was on Channel 9 for the afternoon cartoon show.
You remember the "Wild Mouse" at Coney Island.
You cruised up the Ohio River on the Island Queen to Coney Island & danced in Moonlight Gardens & swam in Sunlight Pool.
Christmas wasn't complete until you went downtown to the CG&E building and saw the model trains.
You were told by older relatives that Cincinnati was the first in the country to have a full time paid Fire Department back in 1853.
We don't say, Y'all, we say 'you guys' and that includes the women too and some say "yous guys."
You know that Kahn's is "the wiener the world awaited."
You know who said "This is the old left-hander rounding third and headed for home" on the Reds broadcasts (Joe Nuxhall still the youngest MLB player at age 15.)
And you know who said "and this one belongs to the Reds" (Marty Brenneman.)
You remember that the Reds played at Crosley Field and then Riverfront Stadium.
You remember the 'Streitman Biscuit Company' before it became Keeblers.
You remember "Midwestern Hayride" and know who Kenny Price was.
You shopped 'downtown' at Shillitos, Pogues and McAlpins and for special things at Mabley and Carew.
You know who the Cool Ghoul was and what channel he was on (WXIX Channel 19.)
You knew who Bob Braun was before he sold furniture on late nite TV.
You can sing the "Audience Wave" jingle from the 50-50 Club.
You immediately recognize the name "Brent Spence" but don't know who he was(long time Democratic Congress man from Newport KY.)
You recognize the name "Ezzard Charles" but don't really know who he was(Cincinnati's only Heavyweight Boxing Champion.)
You know that pigs do fly in Cincinnati, as can be seen by the four majestic winged pigs on the river front.
You know that the Cincinnati Airport is not even in Ohio and that the letters CVG stand for Covington, KY.
You know that ' Reading Road ' is pronounce "RED'ing Road...not "READing Road."
You know what bread is "Hearth-baked on Stone" (Rubels' Rye Bread.)
You remember when the first "Gold Star Chili" parlor was named "Hamburger Heaven" and was in Mt. Washington just across from the old movie theater.
You know who said (and you were very annoyed by), "I don't care about making money....I just looooovvve to sell carpet!"
You spend every weekend in October going to a different "Oktoberfest."
You remember when the Bengals last went to the Superbowl, and gas was $1.09 a gallon.
You have friends and neighbors with names like Gukenberger, Hirlinger, Schottlekotte, Schraffenberger and Schoenling.
You know who Al Schottelkotte was.
You know exactly when each parish has its festival and which ones are the best.
You think that the only 'tri-state' area in the US is Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana (some say that is how Okeana got it's name...but those who live where know it was named after a local Native American Princess.)
During a taste test you can tell the difference in the following chili's Skyline, Cincinnati Recipe, Empress, Gold Star, Camp Washington (pronounced Camp WARSHington , Worthmore, Dixie, And you know that chili is served in Chili Parlors, not restaurants.
You know how to spell Cincinnati and it is not: Cincinti, Cincinatti, Cincinnatti, Cinnanatti. And you know it is pronounced "sin-sin-nat-tee" not "sin-sin-nat-ta."
You "warsh" your clothes.
You go to "Cook-outs" not BBQ's.
You wear "gym shoes" not sneakers or tennis shoes.
Anytime anyone wants to know where you graduated from, you answer without hesitation, your HIGH SCHOOL...no one cares where you went to college.
One of the best summer treats, a Black Cow using Barq's Root Beer or a Red Cow, using Barq's Cream Soda.
You know how to "Save Cash With Cash."
You know the "Cross Town Shootout" is not a wild west gun fight, but the most important college basketball game during the season, between XU and UC.
You take a leisurely summer drive through a suburban neighborhood and you see a cornhole game on every block.
You know the Daniel Carter Beard bridge is called the Big Mac Bridge.
You know it is not Easter without Papas Cream Eggs.
Instead of saying "what?" you say "please?"
You add an 's' to the end of grocery store names, such as Kroger(s) and Meijer(s.)
You drive on roads that change names at the county line, such as Loveland-Madeira, Fields-Ertel, Hamilton-Mason and Cincinnati-Dayton.
You can buy beer by driving through a drive thru pole barn, or at the "Pony Keg."
You believe that LaRosa's is fine Italian dining, and have a Buddy Card.
You recognize Anthony Munoz as a former NFL player not a furniture salesman.
You remind people that Pompillos was in the movie Rainman.
You understand the traffic reports which ignore road names and use locations such as: "Cut in the hill", "The Lockland Split", "Five Mile", "Wards Corner", Kenwood "Cut in the Hill" and The "S" curve
Your local convenient store sounds like a labor union: United Dairy Farmers.
You believe that Pete Rose should be in the hall of fame.
You know that everyone has an "Uncle Al."
Your favorite "Coney Island" isn't in New York.
You know what brats and metts are.
You know that the only kind of goetta to eat is Gliers!
You know who Skipper Ryle was.
You are at a Bob Evans Restaurant and don't think it is strange to see someone put ketchup on their eggs.
You like Nick Clooney better than George Clooney.
You know how Jerry Springer got his start (and that you shouldn't write a check to a prostitute.)
You think a mixed marriage is where an East Sider marries a West Sider.
You know the difference between Hudy and Who-dey.
You know what "cream ale" is, and you think that all cream soda should be bright red.
You can visit Lebanon, California, Moscow, Wyoming, and go "Over the Rhine" all in the same day.
You know what is at "Where Paddock meets Vine at the Big Indian Sign" -at least if you've ever been to the east side.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:54 AM

526 posts, read 1,482,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
I got a great email from someone yesterday and reminded me of this thread (especially the where did you go to High School question, soda vs pop etc. Enjoy!

Well Done Hartwell Girl -- I identified with almost all of them -- not the Island Queen though, just a bit before my time.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:58 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,136,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Well Done Hartwell Girl -- I identified with almost all of them -- not the Island Queen though, just a bit before my time.
With me being born in the 70's, many of them are before my time as well but it was a fun email and I figured "you guys" would enjoy the post.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:50 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times
Another dead or dying Cincinnati-ism, not that this is on topic with the thread lol:
"Cupboard," said to mean "closet." I only know this because there was once an Enquirer article that mentioned a house fire's having been started by kids playing with matches in a cupboard.
And since when have natives said "warsh"? That's a Missouri/Nebraska thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati