Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 04:34 PM

5 posts, read 9,936 times

Advertisements

I am considering buying a new house, one of the houses I'm looking at is a brand new house on a slab in Fairfield area, I like the location of it best. I have never lived in a slab house, I always had a basement growing up, this is a first house and don't necessarilly need the room. I've heard bad things about slabs but then again they seem to be building a lot more of them lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 04:54 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,568,714 times
Nothing can be done to have warm floors in a slab house. You can put two feet of insultion in and that will still result in cold floors all year round. Radiant floor heat is the only solution and you rarely see it in a slab house because of the cost.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:04 PM

5 posts, read 9,936 times
Yea I know the floors will be colder, but honestly I don't walk around barefoot that much, I'm more concerned about issues with plumbing, and the solidness of the house.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:20 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,966,386 times
cincinnatians love their basements. it can be hard to sell a house around here without one. this even goes for older homes. basements are all over the city, and most have a toilet haha

Old 11-05-2010, 05:27 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,880,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigA View Post
Yea I know the floors will be colder, but honestly I don't walk around barefoot that much, I'm more concerned about issues with plumbing, and the solidness of the house.
I would think the biggest potential problem to be with water vapor invasion and the resulting mold, etc. Unless the slab is adaquately isolated from the ground via a real solid vapor barrier this would be my concern. As far as cold floors, this at most would be isolated to several feet from the outside periphery since the interior would be shielded. Earth is just not that great of a thermal conductor, in fact it is more of an insulator.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:52 PM

If its slab on grade the plumbing will not be a problem but you may have moisture problems. If there is a crawl space the plumbing will never work right.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:30 PM

16,414 posts, read 30,435,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigA View Post
I have never lived in a slab house, I always had a basement growing up, this is a first house and don't necessarilly need the room. I've heard bad things about slabs but then again they seem to be building a lot more of them lately.
Neither had I until I bought my current place.

Even though I live in an area much colder than the Cincinnati area, the floors are NOT cold. We carpeted the area and the carpeted keeps the floors fairly warm. The small area which is tiled does get cold. We were going to place a heating unit underneath it but decided against it as we spend very little time on the tile.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:18 PM

4,892 posts, read 13,909,842 times
I'd never live in a slab house that's in tornado territory, no way no how!

Old 11-06-2010, 05:52 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,000,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
If its slab on grade the plumbing will not be a problem but you may have moisture problems. If there is a crawl space the plumbing will never work right.
I'm a little curious about plumbing problems with crawl spaces. What's the inherent problem?

This might not be the type of thing you're talking about, but I lived for 20+ years in a 1960 split level--on a slab on the bottom level, third level above that, and a crawl space under the middle level that was on grade. The bathrooms were on the bottom and top levels, the kitchen and laundry were on the middle level. There was never a problem with the plumbing except the usual stuff of owner-caused clogs, etc.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:58 AM

With a crawl space the bad stuff has to get from the house to the ground. The good stuff has to get from the ground to the house. Either way, when its -10 F. out, the pipes in the crawl space have to be heated to 30 F or nothing works right. The waste water freezes in the pipes, same for the supply line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati