Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 01:03 PM

560 posts, read 2,076,081 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the replies everyone. If anyone else has more insight, please keep on sharing your thoughts.

- I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around the "snob appeal" theory - that HH is a place to go if you are well-off or from the right side of town. I guess that's because where I'm from (Florida) we have our own social snobbery that tells us that South Carolina is inferior to Florida or Georgia!!

- I hadn't really thought about the fact that South Carolina beaches are the closest drive to Cincinnati. It makes sense, certainly. Although I would still contend that if you are going to drive 11 hours, you might as well drive 15. Or you could go to Savannah, which is right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 01:04 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
goyguy, interesting post. I grew up in SC, and I've never understood the fascination with Hilton Head. It always seemed like its a status symbol that you pay a huge premium for. For some folks its a big deal to drive around with their HHI stickers.

For the money you may as well go to Debordieu, Kiawah, Edisto Beach, Pawleys Island, Sullivans Island, or Litchfield Beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 4520832257 View Post
I guess that's because where I'm from (Florida) we have our own social snobbery that tells us that South Carolina is inferior to Florida or Georgia!!

Old 12-08-2008, 01:27 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 4520832257 View Post
I hadn't really thought about the fact that South Carolina beaches are the closest drive to Cincinnati.
It's about 10 hours to New Jersey.

But then again, you're in New Jersey.

And it's less than 4 hours to Sandusky and Lake Erie!

Old 12-08-2008, 01:40 PM

560 posts, read 2,076,081 times
LOL ... I guess that's my Florida snobbery again. It's not really a beach if the water temperature means you can't comfortably swim in it !!

Old 12-09-2008, 07:49 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,972,380 times
Haha. Yeah, the closest beaches to Cincy are VA Beach and Myrtle Beach. And what i say beach i mean the usual tourist destination. Experienced travels know, while these are nice beaches, there are other places off the beaten path that could have more to offer. But for a family, looking to get away, they will head to HH or Myrtle because they know what they will get from those places.

G Man

Old 12-09-2008, 08:20 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
There's always East Fork, too.

*shudder*

Old 12-10-2008, 09:26 AM

458 posts, read 1,271,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstn View Post
Carolinians look at HH and Myrtle the same way Tennesseans look at Gatlinburg, as a vacation spot for Buckeyes.

You got that one dead-on!

Old 12-10-2008, 09:52 AM

897 posts, read 2,824,304 times
A native Southerner chiming in here ( I currently reside in Columbus)

I grew up going to all these places mentioned, just like many folks from OH. OH licencse plates are the most prevelant in SC vacation areas followed by PA.
I think the resaon folks pick one place over the other has to do with where they went when they were growing up, lifestyle (money and family situations), etc.

Savannah and Charleston are great places and I love them both now that I am older. When I was younger I wanted to be at the beach - and honestly Savannah & Charleston are known for their historic charm, fine dining, nice hotels but not for their beaches. Myrtle Beach is the best place for a family vacation. Beaches, shopping and overall family entertainment are better there. There are desirable & trashy areas of the Grand Strand (which is a pretty big area) so you can choose something a bit more upscale or moderate. As far a HH goes, I have never seen the appeal. Beaches are not that great and even now that I am older the snob appeal seems to reign supreme. Personally, our family can afford HH but it is not our idea of a fun, laid back vacation.

My kids are older now so the beach is still important but they like nicer restaurants and the historic value of Savannah and Charleston. We hit MB if we want cheaper golf, beaches and family fun. HH is just honestly not our on list when deciding.

Even when we lived in Atlanta we chose the NC, SC, GA coastal areas over FL. Time wise it takes just as much time to get to SC coast as it does to the Destin area. I would rather go to the Caribbean than the Panhandle though - that area seems to have a lower reputation than MB in my opinion.

Thats my 2 cents.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 10,996 times
Default Help

I am flying into Charleston, S.C. from Canada - what is the cheapest way to get to Hilton Head Health without renting a car? I would appreciate anyone's help.
Thanks.
R

Old 12-10-2008, 10:02 AM

897 posts, read 2,824,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
Haha. Yeah, the closest beaches to Cincy are VA Beach and Myrtle Beach. And what i say beach i mean the usual tourist destination. Experienced travels know, while these are nice beaches, there are other places off the beaten path that could have more to offer. But for a family, looking to get away, they will head to HH or Myrtle because they know what they will get from those places.

G Man
Growing up in NC we never considered VA Beach. Most Tarheels didn't consider it either. OBX takes a while to get to even if you live in eastern/central NC - but that was the northern most coastal area people would go to. Wrightville and Carolina Beaches (near Wilmington) were the popular destinations that many folks have discovered. Wilmington natives still have not fully embraced the growth and high COL that has occured since they've been "discovered".

There are a myriad of other destinations that folks have discovered. Most people do pick places like MB over & over again because its tradition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati