Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Parenting troubled teens: car insurance,

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 08:43 AM

122 posts, read 958,883 times

Advertisements

I, too, would sit her down and have a heart to heart talk. It's common courtesy to tell loved ones, where you'll be and when they can expect your return and to clean up after themselves. Require her to get a job and pay her way. You might even begin to charge her rent. Again, if she's living in your house, it's your rules.

If she refuses, I would remove all non essential privileges that I was providing. Like; cell phone, car, money, clothes. Don't do her laundry, cook or clean up after her. Force her to grow up ad take care of herself. She wants the advantages of living like an adult, then she can pay her own way.

To remove her from the home, legally, some will make the argument that you must give 30 day notice and evict her. I, personally, would set her belongings in the front yard and change the locks on her sorry a$$ if she refused to give me the courtesy that is expected.

I am a mother of a 25 year old, and a 29 year old. Were very close, and I never kicked out either one. I did, however, help the 29 year old find boxes when he suggested he move out 9 years ago! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 12:09 PM

2,948 posts, read 7,019,075 times
When I was 18 and pushing my dad's buttons, he was very clear. He told me the rules of his house - if I did not like those rules, then I am welcome to move out. If I wanted to drive, I had to pay for my own car, gas and insurance. I had to have a job in order to do that. I did move out at 19 because I didn't want to live with his rules.

My father is going through this with his 18 yr old step daughter right now. She is 18 and "free to do what she wants." She decided to pack her overnight bags and leave last week, he changed the locks behind her. She left because she thought it was unfair that she needed to clean up after herself, which resulted in her being grounded from using the house phone, which resulted in her becoming irate and verbally abusive towards her mother. I know if I were a parent that I wouldn't be putting up with that crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: