Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2009, 07:27 PM

6 posts, read 35,649 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am relocating to Cincinnati from the Atlanta area (Vinings to be exact) this summer. I am a young professional female (upper 20s) looking for a nice neighborhood with amenities and its own unique charm. I am looking to rent a house or townhome for no more than $1500/mo in rent. Safety is a priority for me. I would like to be close to shopping (no more than 10 minutes) and nearby a park. No kiddies, so school districts is not a big deal for me. Also, I do not want to be out in the suburbs. I am looking at in-town areas where I can meet other young professionals and not too many families. I will be working downtown, so no more than a 20 minute commute for me. I don't know too much about downtown area in Cincinnati, but willing to consider if it has fits my criteria.

Any help that you all can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot for your help!

Last edited by crystal08; 05-24-2009 at 08:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 08:03 AM

66 posts, read 189,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal08 View Post
Hi all,

I am relocating to Cincinnati from the Atlanta area (Vinings to be exact) this summer. I am a young professional female (upper 20s) looking for a nice neighborhood with amenities and its own unique charm. I am looking to rent a house or townhome for no more than $1500/mo in rent. Safety is a priority for me. I would like to be close to shopping (no more than 10 minutes) and nearby a park. No kiddies, so school districts is not a big deal for me. Also, I do not want to be out in the suburbs. I am looking at in-town areas where I can meet other young professionals and not too many families. I will be working downtown, so no more than a 20 minute commute for me. I don't know too much about downtown area in Cincinnati, but willing to consider if it has fits my criteria.

Any help that you all can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot for your help!
Definitely check out Mt. Adams, Hyde Park, Mount Lookout, Madeira, and Mariemont. All of these sound like what you're looking for. The first 3 areas would have more people your age. The last 2 areas are very nice for families, but also have a good amount of young professionals. Best of luck in your search!

Old 05-25-2009, 12:51 PM

560 posts, read 2,076,518 times
I'll basically second what Cincyohguy said above.

In-town + young professional + neighborhood w/ character = Mt. Adams, Hyde Park, Mt. Lookout. I'd also add Oakley and Clifton.

Hyde Park, Mt Lookout, and Oakley basically form one large neighborhood about 5-7 miles from downtown. Turn-of-last-century walkable suburbs. Very charming. Good mix of young professionals and families. They are the stereptypical in-town neighborhood suggestions - so much so that some people get frustrated by how often they are suggested.

Clifton, kind of same as above, but more eclectic and full of students because it's close to UC.

Mt. Adams - amazing urban neighborhood on a hill overlooking downtown and the river. Nothing else like it in the midwest. Only downside is the expense and the near total lack of parking.

As for downtown, I agree that you should consider it as an option. Downtown is pretty nice in my opinion. When you visit, walk around Fountain Square and the immediate vicinity (4th and 5th streets mostly) and see if the area is to your liking. My only caveat against downtown would be that if you have $1500 and are willing to live a downtown lifestyle, you might as well live in Mt. Adams!!

Old 05-25-2009, 03:11 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,147,398 times
I'd agree with both of the above responses, with the minor exception that Madeira and Mariemont might be too "suburban" for you.

Definitely...definitely...check out Mt. Adams. I think it's exactly what you're looking for.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:00 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal08 View Post
Hi all,

Gosh, where do I start?!!

Mount Adams, Mount Lookout, Hyde Park, Oakley are all great suggestions. Don't forget East Walnut Hills and even parts of Norwood; not as strong as magnets for YPs, but still very accessible to downtown and Eden Park. (Oh, did we all say Mount Adams? Yes, I know I LOVE Mount Adams!)

The Central Business District near Fountain Square and Contemporary Arts Center is incredibly beautiful and distinctive in terms of architecture. It's very lively (well, okay, except at 2am, but that probably won't matter) and walkable. Not much in the way of townhomes, however, since that's really your thing.

Don't forget about the Kentucky side of the river. Licking Riverside, or sometimes just known as Riverside, is a very prestigious and gorgeous neighborhood in Covington with a great view of the Ohio and Licking Rivers and Downtown Cincinnati. Riverside is basically interconnected to the Covington Central Business District and Mainstrasse, and all these neighborhoods are close to the gorgeous Devou Park. CBD and Mainstrasse have some great bar and restaurant districts, are strong magnets for YPs and are very safe. You can walk across the Roebling Bridge, an amazing piece of history built in 1867 and the model for the Brooklyn Bridge.

Downtown Newport, KY very close to Newport on the Levee and along Monmouth Street (especially north of 12th Street) have been brought back to life. Newport was known as "Sin City" until the 1970s, but no more. It would behoove you to look into East Row Historic District (primary streets being 3rd, 4th, 5th Sts. and Washington Ave.) as that is the absolute best of what Newport has to offer in terms of housing stock. You'll love East Row! If you don't like Newport, immediately east in Bellevue might be to your liking.

I know more about the Kentucky side of the river than the Ohio side. Naturally so, because I'm from Kentucky. I'm moving up there within two weeks and really looking forward to it...and to learning more about the Cincinnati side of the river!

Last edited by EclecticEars; 05-26-2009 at 09:21 PM..

Old 05-27-2009, 02:55 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,672,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyohguy View Post
Definitely check out Mt. Adams, Hyde Park, Mount Lookout, Madeira, and Mariemont. All of these sound like what you're looking for. The first 3 areas would have more people your age. The last 2 areas are very nice for families, but also have a good amount of young professionals. Best of luck in your search!
Agree 100% with the above post.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:38 AM

6 posts, read 35,649 times
Hi Everyone. Thanks so much for the recommendations but I think that Madeira and Mariemont maybe a bit too suburban for me. I will be sure to check the other neighborhoods out. It looks like I will be moving late July so I will come to visit early July. I've been checking on craigslist for listings and will just drive through the neighborhoods as well. Once I get more specific in my search I will reach out again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati