Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 03:30 PM

351 posts, read 1,876,056 times

Advertisements

I used to camp in Ross, and it sounds like the rural wonderland you seek. However, I believe that there was a nuclear clean up activity out there a while back. You would definitely want to know about that before buying and buidling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 06:41 PM

7 posts, read 19,355 times
There is now a park where the nuclear clean up took place. The camp, Fort Scott is now a new housing develoment. Its very close to a large Hamilton County Park.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,043 times
Ross is the best. Close to shopping, 30 minutes to downtown Cincinnati, rural, and the top rated schools (Rated "Excellent" by the State). Not crowded. I think it sounds like where you would like to be. Some of the other places suggested are too crowded.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:56 PM

120 posts, read 259,626 times
Ross schools are good. I know a few families who attend there. Definately the mix of kids you speak of.

There is camping at Winton Woods and Miami Whitewater Parks, part of the Hamilton County Parks system.
Hamilton County Park District - It's Great Outdoors! ®

You may also want to check the Colerain West area. The northern sections above I-275 are rural although close to the local landfill. We were driving those backroads last weekend and came across a flock of wild turkeys, about 25 of them.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:05 AM

329 posts, read 701,954 times
You'll love it here but please... Don't go anywhere south of 275 and west of 75 in ohio, most of the westside is done for. doesn't matter, you are looking for an urban feel, not the have to look back every 5 seconds for street trash following you down the street feel right?

Old 08-23-2010, 04:37 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,574,820 times
As far as commute times go -- I live in TurtleCreek Twp (less than 1 mile from Lebanon, in Lebanon SD) -- I can hop on I-71 South to I-275 West and be in Sharonville in about 27 minutes. My husband used to work in Sharonville, and I currently work in the edges of WestChester.

Lebanon is a small town, a bit too rural for me, actually!! But Mason/Deerfield Twp and Kenwood Mall are short commutes (10 mins - 20 mins, respectively) and going North you have Centerville, Kettering, and even BeaverCreek (all Dayton suburbs).

To commute into downtown Cinci, its about 35 minutes when the roads are clear, which means not rush hour M-F. However, if your husband isn't working downtown, then you wouldn't be dealing with rush hour anyway. Easy to get downtown to all the arenas, museums, etc..

Again, I-71 is a straight shot.

TurtleCreek is a pretty huge township and while we only have 1 acre, there are a lot of 5 acre tracts. Do city income tax in our township (due to the fact its not a city), though you may pay school taxes of course.

Lots of horses, pretty easy access to the little Miami bike trail. A big YMCA camp called "Camp Kern" with a ZipLine through the Miami River gorge. (Haven't been that adventurous yet). Fort Ancient (one of the Mound Builder sites, haven't gotten there yet either)...

A decent place to live, and if you like rural, it seems to fit that...
(4H is very active)...

We don't have kids, but the schools have been very highly rated, though they missed "excellent" by one number this last year which annoyed everyone. School system seems a good socio-economic mix.

Keep in mind in the Cincy area a rather large number of people send their children to parochial schools. Way larger than I'm used to coming from the Detroit suburbs.. So, there's a mix in the Lebanon schools, but a lot of people bypass and go right to St. Susanna (Mason), St Francis (Lebanon), etc...

Good luck with your move, the area around Cinci really is still VERY rural.. so you shouldn't have any trouble at all finding something appropriate. Also, the commuting times (if you are already used to commuting) really aren't that bad. Very comparable to what I saw in Detroit/Chicago.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:41 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,990,506 times
I'm probably getting a name for myself around here as being anti-commute, but the notion of someone living in Ross and working in Sharonville doesn't make sense to me. Ross is lovely; I grew up in the general vicinity and still drive through parts of it pretty often. And I have the impression the school system is not as affected by some of the negative societal trends as some of the more urban areas.

I don't know the more rural areas on the Sharonville side of town, so have nothing specific to offer in terms of advice. But surely the OP can find an appropriate place to live closer to work. Isn't this what realtors are for?

Even if the commute "isn't so bad" compared to a long commute in another city, or "not so bad" in terms of time assuming there's not an interstate tieup, who even wants to spend all that money in gas and mileage on a car?

Old 08-23-2010, 06:42 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,956,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhiggins View Post
You'll love it here but please... Don't go anywhere south of 275 and west of 75 in ohio, most of the westside is done for. doesn't matter, you are looking for an urban feel, not the have to look back every 5 seconds for street trash following you down the street feel right?
And people wonder why some posters get so down on the suburbs. You don't hear nonsense like that coming from people who live in the city about the outer 'burbs.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:08 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,844,109 times
My suggestion is consider your desires first and foremost relative to your husband's job location. If Sharonville, I would be looking immediately north and then east/west off of I-75 towards Lebanon and Monroe.

Relative to your expertise, we have lawyers up the ying-yang on the north side of Cincy, since that is where most of the new money is.

If you decide to go West, with the intent you work downtown, then both of you will be saddled with long commutes. The West is nice, and I would like to live there, but only if I also worked there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati