Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 09:57 PM

269 posts, read 780,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwenular View Post
We relocated here about 8 months ago from Southwestern CT due to my husbands job. We have had a very good experience so far. Our neighbors are really nice and were very welcoming. I met more neighbors just by walking to the kids to the bus stop. We are on a quiet street in Anderson and love the hidden feeling as our property is backed up to green space. This house would have cost us 4x as much in CT. (After living right off a major highway in CT, this is really nice and I love it here.)

The parks are wonderful and my kids enjoy discovering different playgrounds. I love that there are so many things to do with the kids that won't break the bank. I haven't had any real issues with traffic, I'd say it's much better here than in CT. I love the atmosphere, checking out the surrounding areas and the historic sites. Overall the affordability and family atmosphere make for a better life.
Welcome to Cincinnati, fellow Nutmegger! Did you guys live anywhere near Bridgeport or in Fairfield County?

Last edited by high mileage; 04-14-2010 at 10:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 10:29 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,645,104 times
Quote:
We relocated here about 8 months ago from Southwestern CT due to my husbands job. We have had a very good experience so far. Our neighbors are really nice and were very welcoming. I met more neighbors just by walking to the kids to the bus stop. We are on a quiet street in Anderson and love the hidden feeling as our property is backed up to green space. This house would have cost us 4x as much in CT. (After living right off a major highway in CT, this is really nice and I love it here.)

The parks are wonderful and my kids enjoy discovering different playgrounds. I love that there are so many things to do with the kids that won't break the bank. I haven't had any real issues with traffic, I'd say it's much better here than in CT. I love the atmosphere, checking out the surrounding areas and the historic sites. Overall the affordability and family atmosphere make for a better life.
Welcome to Cincinnati. Hope everything continues to work out for you!

Old 04-14-2010, 11:30 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,728,499 times
Quote:
I haven't had any real issues with traffic, I'd say it's much better here than in CT.
I know it may appear this way and to be honest, it's a great mistake from the perspective of the Cincinnati booster, but none of CT's cities even made the list for average top commuting time - while 4 OH cities did.

It does make sense though as CT's largest metro (Hartford) has about a million less people than Cincinnati and Cincinnati and Cleveland's population alone are more than the entire state of CT.

I'm glad you guys are enjoying yourself though ... it's always good to here about families that are glad they made they move when they come from the east or west coast!

Old 04-15-2010, 05:47 AM

10 posts, read 28,839 times
Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Yes, High Milage, we were in Fairfield County, the city of Stamford we pretty much lived right off exit 9 on Rte 95. I could see the highway, akaarking lot from our windows. I don't miss the traffic there. It would take me 20 minutes to drive the kids 2 miles to school taking back roads. Going anywhere was an event to say the least. I'd say traffic is relative to what you know.

I have experienced some traffic here, but to me that would be everyday (non rush hour) traffic back in Stamford so it's no big deal to me. My husband has experienced the traffic on I-75 and said he is glad we are in this area so his drive to work, downtown isn't as bad as that area . Ask me about this down the road and who knows, maybe my perspective will have changed. lol

Old 04-15-2010, 06:01 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,841,093 times
Gwenular - Let me join the list of welcomes to Cincinnati.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:07 AM

2,785 posts, read 6,645,104 times
Quote:

Yes, High Milage, we were in Fairfield County, the city of Stamford we pretty much lived right off exit 9 on Rte 95. I could see the highway, akaarking lot from our windows. I don't miss the traffic there. It would take me 20 minutes to drive the kids 2 miles to school taking back roads. Going anywhere was an event to say the least. I'd say traffic is relative to what you know.

I have experienced some traffic here, but to me that would be everyday (non rush hour) traffic back in Stamford so it's no big deal to me. My husband has experienced the traffic on I-75 and said he is glad we are in this area so his drive to work, downtown isn't as bad as that area . Ask me about this down the road and who knows, maybe my perspective will have changed. lol
I hear you. I am from Philly, and I do not miss the traffic at all.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:53 PM

4,889 posts, read 13,865,174 times
Quote:

C'mon out to the City-Data meet-up this Sunday! (See separate thread.) You'll get acquainted with some neat people from all over the area. That's Cincinnati for you, by the way. For all that I love about my adopted home, something like this would have no hope of getting off the ground here.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:06 PM

10 posts, read 28,839 times
Wish I could make it, but my son has his first soccer game at that time. Maybe next time.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:43 PM

15 posts, read 36,115 times
I moved to Cincinnati from the West Coast in May of 2009. I originally rented an apartment in forest park, then bought a house in Colerain. I work in Symmes and Norwood. I have had both positive and negative experiences in this city, and would like to contribute both. First, a positive. When I lived in Southern Oregon, I had gone almost an entire year without employment. I had submitted close to a hundred resumes, and a couple of interviews, but no offers. When I moved to Cincinnati, I had a job within three weeks. I then obtained a second job six months later. I was offered a third job but turned it down just recently. I've also come to make some really good friends at my job(s). The people here are relatively kind and considerate. I haven't had any bad experiences with anybody, as of yet. I started out at Cincinnati State Tech. and immediately transferred to UC Raymond Walters, as I've had a lot of negative experiences at CS, but UCRW has been an excellent college. The weather here is barely tolerable, especially in the winter, which I found absolutely horrendous, but this is coming from somebody who has a profound distaste for snow and cold anyways. It doesn't get hot enough for me in the summers, and it rains waaaayyyy tooo much for my tastes!! One of my biggest complaints is that this place is a huge concrete jungle...there are very little opportunities to get out into nature...and if you do find a place, such as a park, then you have to actually pay to park your car. As a matter of fact, you have to pay to park your car just about EVERYWHERE, and parking is by no means cheap in Cincinnati! Some of my favorite things about Cincinnati is the abundance of food choices. There are some truly great restaurants with really diverse food selections. I will never get bored with the food here in Cincinnati! With all of that said, for a city of it's size, Cincinnati is a GREAT city. I think it all depends on what your preferences are. I grew up in a small town, and spent most of my adult life in a small town. I'm not a big city girl. The shear size of downtown scares the bejeezes out of me. As a matter of fact, I've only been downtown a couple of times!

Old 04-24-2010, 06:18 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,560,223 times
We located to the far Northern reaches of Cincinnati; Montgomery Co.() and just love Cincinnati and SW Ohio! I deliver in the Cincinnati area and wish we'd found our retirement home down here. But I have the best of both worlds; we have a wonderful life in Dayton's South suburbs AND are close enough to Cincinnati to visit often. We also have acquired some wonderful friends from Cincinnati AND, here's the best part; they don't care what high school we went to OR whether we're East Siders or West Siders...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati