Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 12:23 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,544,072 times

Advertisements

I remember some steakhouse downtown, but it doesn't fit the description of Gregory's. It was neither cheap nor visible from the street. I believe it was called the Underground New Orleans, but I could be way wrong about that. Their specialty was this massive steak that it took two people to eat. I seem to remember having to go downstairs, below street level, sort of like La Normandie to enter the place. Time period was mid to late 70s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 06:08 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdonnav View Post
I'm sure noone will be looking for the answer to the name of the really cheap steakhouse back in the 60's and 70's, but here it is...Gregory's! I'm 100% sure. I believe this was one of the first Gregory family restaurant endeavors.
My husband and I had our 1st date there and it was great. I have often wished I had the recipe for their garlic dressing. It was sort of a forerunner of ranch dressing.
I am not doubting your memory, but if it was called Gregory's it must be a different Gregory than the ones of Montgomery Inn fame. Ted and Matula Gregory purchased and opened the original Montgomery Inn in 1951. They concentrated on growing that business. The 1989 opening of the Montgomery Inn Boathouse was their first identified expansion and a major investment. Next was Montgomery Inn East which caught on fire, burnt in 1997, and they did not rebuild. Fourth was Ft. Mitchell in 2001. There was the short lived expansion to Indianapolis opened in 1997, but closed after two years and the more recent 2009 expansion to Dublin, Ohio. The banquet facility at Sawyer Point opened in 1998 until it was razed in 2007.

Over 35 years ago I remember staying at a Ramada Inn in Northern Indiana not far from South Bend. When I checked in a banner in the lobby promoted their restaurant was serving Montgomery Inn Ribs. I decided to give it a try, an insert in the memu gave the history of the Mongtomery Inn, and the ribs sure tasted authentic. I heard later that Ted Gregory decided to pull out of this early franchise endeavor over concerns about not being able to quality control the product sufficiently.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:46 AM

39 posts, read 67,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
I remember some steakhouse downtown, but it doesn't fit the description of Gregory's. It was neither cheap nor visible from the street. I believe it was called the Underground New Orleans, but I could be way wrong about that. Their specialty was this massive steak that it took two people to eat. I seem to remember having to go downstairs, below street level, sort of like La Normandie to enter the place. Time period was mid to late 70s.
I'm wondering if you are thinking of Edward's, and their downstairs cafe, known as "Edward's Under Fifth" I believe. It was at 5th and Race or thereabouts, and housed in the old Edwards Manufacturing Building. My big sister was a waitress there circa late 70s - early 80s, and the Under Fifth portion of the restaurant had the kind of atmosphere you describe.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:11 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I am not doubting your memory, but if it was called Gregory's it must be a different Gregory than the ones of Montgomery Inn fame. Ted and Matula Gregory purchased and opened the original Montgomery Inn in 1951. They concentrated on growing that business. The 1989 opening of the Montgomery Inn Boathouse was their first identified expansion and a major investment. Next was Montgomery Inn East which caught on fire, burnt in 1997, and they did not rebuild. Fourth was Ft. Mitchell in 2001. There was the short lived expansion to Indianapolis opened in 1997, but closed after two years and the more recent 2009 expansion to Dublin, Ohio. The banquet facility at Sawyer Point opened in 1998 until it was razed in 2007.

Over 35 years ago I remember staying at a Ramada Inn in Northern Indiana not far from South Bend. When I checked in a banner in the lobby promoted their restaurant was serving Montgomery Inn Ribs. I decided to give it a try, an insert in the memu gave the history of the Mongtomery Inn, and the ribs sure tasted authentic. I heard later that Ted Gregory decided to pull out of this early franchise endeavor over concerns about not being able to quality control the product sufficiently.

The Montgomery Inn East @ Beechmont and I-275 opened prior to 1989. I lived in Anderson from 1980 to 88 and ate there in the 86-88 timeframe.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:14 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
The Montgomery Inn East @ Beechmont and I-275 opened prior to 1989. I lived in Anderson from 1980 to 88 and ate there in the 86-88 timeframe.
I agree Montgomery Inn East could predate the Boathouse. They did not state the opening, just that it burned in 1997.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,882 times
The Gregory's Steakhouse I remember was on 6th St. I believe, early 70's. When you went in you paid for what you wanted and took a tray that slid along the cafeteria style bars. I always got the "steakburger" on a bun with tomato and onion and steak sauce, and a baked potato. The place was ran by Greeks I believe. The steaks were cooked over an open fire grill. Does this sound familiar? Food was outtasite.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:00 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,980,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood45154 View Post
The Gregory's Steakhouse I remember was on 6th St. I believe, early 70's. When you went in you paid for what you wanted and took a tray that slid along the cafeteria style bars. I always got the "steakburger" on a bun with tomato and onion and steak sauce, and a baked potato. The place was ran by Greeks I believe. The steaks were cooked over an open fire grill. Does this sound familiar? Food was outtasite.
I LOVED THAT PLACE SO MUCH.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:04 PM

205 posts, read 984,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I LOVED THAT PLACE SO MUCH.
I'm pretty sure it was called Tad's.

It was on the north side of 6th and had a flaming grill to your right as you entered.

I was just a kid when I went there but it is possible it is where Wong's used to be (asian restaurant there now) but I think it was a block west of that.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:32 PM

311 posts, read 1,754,594 times
Default There's room for many steakhouses

Quote:
Originally Posted by franke01 View Post
I'm pretty sure it was called Tad's.

It was on the north side of 6th and had a flaming grill to your right as you entered.

I was just a kid when I went there but it is possible it is where Wong's used to be (asian restaurant there now) but I think it was a block west of that.
There may have been a Tad's at one time, but there was also a Gregory's. We celebrated a friend's birthday there in early 1972. A couple of us ordered "Greg Burgers".

Old 08-08-2011, 04:15 PM

3 posts, read 11,091 times
To Sarah Perry...
Your description is exactly the way I remember it! The only reason I still think that someone from the Gregory family was involved, is that my husband ate lunch often at the Montgomery Inn for many years and was the one who told me that our favorite place had belonged to the Gregory family. Anyway, it was definitely the first of the "cheap" steakhouses in Cincinnati and I really wish it was still there. Not because of the cheap part, just because it was a great steak dinner. And after 40 years, I am still trying to reproduce their creamy garlic salad dressing.
Speaking of family house dressings, the one blessing that is left is Maury's Tiny Cove. Our entire family still goes to Maury's for every celebration, etc, and I love that it looks and feels exactly the same way it looked and felt when I was a teenager and tried to look older. I also love that the same wonderful people that have provided the best service in Cincinnati for most of that 40 years were still there as of my last visit. (Shirley and Tim).
Yea Sarah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati