Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state has the best lakes
Minnesota 105 26.38%
Michigan 122 30.65%
Wisconsin 35 8.79%
Maine 5 1.26%
New York 42 10.55%
New Hampshire 4 1.01%
Washington 14 3.52%
Vermont 1 0.25%
Idaho 8 2.01%
California 21 5.28%
Florida 14 3.52%
Texas 13 3.27%
Ohio 8 2.01%
Arizona 3 0.75%
Nevada 3 0.75%
Voters: 398. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 10:20 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times

Advertisements

I pick Michigan and Minnesota, Michigan over goes overlooked on CD and uncredited for all it has to offer.
Let me be the first to say, this is an ego booster for Michigan and they certainly deserve it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 10:22 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Minnesota
Michigan
Wisconsin
Ohio
Illinois
New York
Indiana

In that same order.

My fun fact map says Minnesota has over 10,000 natural lakes in the state, and Texas has 1 natural non-man made lake. That's the difference.
Not trying to be mean, but what's the difference between a natural lake and a man-made one outside of the obvious (one being man-made and the other not)???

I think Texas has some amazing lakes; great fishing and beautiful locations.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Not trying to be mean, but what's the difference between a natural lake and a man-made one outside of the obvious (one being man-made and the other not)???

I think Texas has some amazing lakes; great fishing and beautiful locations.

No I didn't mean for it to be a knock on Texas at all. I just saw it on my fun fact. I honestly never knew we only had one natural lake.

But our lakes in Texas do wonders, come spring and fall, the Hill Country does not look anymore gorgeous than it possibly could!

Old 06-09-2010, 10:28 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
No I didn't mean for it to be a knock on Texas at all. I just saw it on my fun fact. I honestly never knew we only had one natural lake.

But our lakes in Texas do wonders, come spring and fall, the Hill Country does not look anymore gorgeous than it possibly could!
True; I didn't vote though because I haven't been to lots of these places. I heard Michigan has amazing lakes.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
True; I didn't vote though because I haven't been to lots of these places. I heard Michigan has amazing lakes.
It does. It's the Great Lake state, the large lakes that look like they go on forever surrounded by tall green tree's just makes visiting worth while.

You should take a trip up there and see the Midwest man. You'll love Chicago and you'll love the natural scenery of the Great Lake states. And summer time, the temperature is beyond amazing.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:34 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,210,159 times
https://pics.city-data.com/clc/clc1869.png Just check all those Lakes in and Around Orlando. Lake Fron Homes, Lake Front Parks, LakeSide Schools and SHopping Centers. And They Are Beautiful. Not ALL OF Our Lakes are mucky and filled with animals, some of them are well preserved and get a lot fo credit for being people friendly.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:37 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Quote:
It does. It's the Great Lake state, the large lakes that look like they go on forever surrounded by tall green tree's just makes visiting worth while.

You should take a trip up there and see the Midwest man. You'll love Chicago and you'll love the natural scenery of the Great Lake states. And summer time, the temperature is beyond amazing.
Om, how would rate the scenery and the cites of the Great Lakes? This is how I see it but I am not sure where to put Lake Huron.

1. Lake Superior (no contest)
2. Lake Michigan (nice plus Chicago)
3. Lake Ontario (Toronto plus Thousand Islands)
4. Lake Huron
5. Lake Erie

Old 06-09-2010, 10:47 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
https://pics.city-data.com/clc/clc1869.png Just check all those Lakes in and Around Orlando. Lake Fron Homes, Lake Front Parks, LakeSide Schools and SHopping Centers. And They Are Beautiful. Not ALL OF Our Lakes are mucky and filled with animals, some of them are well preserved and get a lot fo credit for being people friendly.
This is exactly why I noted Florida a few posts ago. Along with the snakes, critters and gators you have lakes or ponds with flamingos, fountains and good fishing. Still you have to admit some of the Florida lakes are not quite as useable to people than a state like Wisconsin where every lake is beautiful.

Florida has good freshwater but her real strongpoint is the outstanding seacoasts which blows almost every other state "out of the water", LOL.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Om, how would rate the scenery and the cites of the Great Lakes? This is how I see it but I am not sure where to put Lake Huron.

1. Lake Superior (no contest)
2. Lake Michigan (nice plus Chicago)
3. Lake Ontario (Toronto plus Thousand Islands)
4. Lake Huron
5. Lake Erie
The beautiful things about Lake Huron would be the islands in the lake itself and on Georgian Bay (the top portion of Lake Huron). Mackinac Island itself is enough to speak for Huron's beauty. There aren't any major cities on the shores of Huron but it's got a vast amount of Islands, and the natural beauty of those islands and the history would be a strong contest for it.

Overall your line up is pretty accurate. Ontario and Huron can be interchangeable, I personally do not know which I would prefer more myself. Ontario has a history of strong cities on it's shores like Toronto, and Rochester even.

Lake Superior has an abundance of small islands which all account gems of natural beauty. The islands themselves serve as beautiful getaways from the mainland. I think you placing it first was a good decision. Lake Michigan is one of the best known lakes, completes the Western side of the state of Michigan and gives shore lines to Illinois and Indiana. The lake itself with the city of Chicago sitting there has become a very prominent location. I give it a plus. It deserves the second spot. The views from the shoreline in lake Michigan of Chicago would be like seeing New York City from the Hudson, it's just gorgeous, at that moment the feeling is more like "every man for themselves in the stunner beauty before your eyes".

Lake Erie has it's advantages as well the city of Cleveland rests on it's shore line, Buffalo does as well and the close proximity to Niagara falls speaks for itself in this regard. It's a good location for the lake and the lake has miles of scenic shoreline surrounded by lush green tree's. Imagine that on a spring morning while taking a job on the shoreline!

Huron's stronghold definitely comes from it's islands, if you are the type who loves the outdoors, you know the good times out with a campfire, sharing stories under the stars and boating and water skiing with a great island with so much to do and see there then Huron is your type of lake. Ontario would draw a parallel, while it to is capable of all of the following it does not have as many islands or civilizations on this islands. Ontario is a lake that connects a lot of the urban life from US to Canada. It's prominence is a reflection of Lake Michigan's with Chicago. The same feeling. But least to say, you are able to experience great outdoor activities just as any of the other 4 lakes as well and you're bound to run into great scenery.

With nearly all of the great lakes, you'll see a lot of wildlife that you can't find anywhere else. You'll see birds you haven't seen anywhere before. Fishing, it's a great experience in any of them, you'll be surprised with the size of the fish you catch. You'll see the natural side to everything. It's truly amazing and a second to none experience.

I give accuracy to your list with the option of interchangeable options for Ontario and Huron.

You're line up is good. I think Ontario and Huron are interchangeable, IMHO.

Mackinac Island- Lake Huron:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...inacisland.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-Arch_Rock.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 06-22-2013 at 06:30 PM..

Old 06-09-2010, 10:57 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,721,264 times
who cares
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City