Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state has the best lakes
Minnesota 105 26.38%
Michigan 122 30.65%
Wisconsin 35 8.79%
Maine 5 1.26%
New York 42 10.55%
New Hampshire 4 1.01%
Washington 14 3.52%
Vermont 1 0.25%
Idaho 8 2.01%
California 21 5.28%
Florida 14 3.52%
Texas 13 3.27%
Ohio 8 2.01%
Arizona 3 0.75%
Nevada 3 0.75%
Voters: 398. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 09:25 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Any poll that omits Alabama is not an informed one. Smith, Martin, Logan Martin, Wedowee, Guntersville, Eufala, West Point, Bankhead, Tuscaloosa, Henry, Pickwick, and Weiss are all massive lakes. What's more, they're alligator free, full of fish, and great for boating.
You make a good point about missing Alabama. Probably the OP should have had some of the Southern states like Alabama, Kentucky and Tennessee instead of some of the drier Southwestern/South Central states. Especially Arizona and Nevada. Beautiful states but freshwater lakes is not their strongpoint.

But anyway, that was up to the OP.

Last edited by LINative; 07-14-2011 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 09:47 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Actually, I meant the UP of Michigan (I have seen N. MN). I figure they are almost equa-distant...

7 hours is totally doable though (not much different than downtown to downtown between MSP and CHI). Like I said though, this will have to be sometime in the future when I have money again. But I can't think of a better vacation than sitting on a beautiful tree-lined lake with a brewski and mild afternoon sunshine! (yes, even more than an exotic tropical paradise -- except Hawaii....amazing!)
You are lucky because in Cleveland you live halfway between Northern Michigan and Northern New York. If you are a boater you might hit the Thousand Islands area on the NY-Ontario border. Ontario also has LOTS of lakes north of Toronto but I don't know much about the area.

I just got back recently from the Lake George and Saratoga Springs area. What is great is LG is less than 30 minutes from Saratoga so there is alot to do in the combined resort areas. Saratoga Springs is a great little city and LG has a couple of cute little villages --- great for the ladies who "need" to do their shopping! Lake George itself is simply outstanding with its views of forested mountains going down into the water. Beautiful!

Old 07-14-2011, 01:13 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
You make a good point about missing Alabama. Probably the OP should have had some of the Southern states like Alabama, Kentucky and Tennessee instead of some of the drier Southwestern/South Central states. Especially Arizona and Nevada. Beautiful states but freshwater lakes is not their strongpoint.

But anyway, that was up to the OP.
Every state has lakes. I was thinking more in terms of notoriety. Honestly southern lakes weren’t on my radar, though I admit perhaps they should be, looking at a map of Tennessee and Kentucky along the border there are clearly some large and significant lakes. For the southwest, well I've seen Lake Meade and Lake Powell. Anybody who has done water recreation there like jet skiing through the red rock walled water channels or diving off the cliffs into the water would likely never forget. They're pretty awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Any poll that omits Alabama is not an informed one, given how it has more miles of navigable waterways than any other state in the country. Smith, Martin, Logan Martin, Wedowee, Guntersville, Eufala, West Point, Bankhead, Tuscaloosa, Henry, Pickwick, and Weiss are all massive lakes. What's more, they're alligator free, full of fish, and great for boating.
Another reminder of when we create threads and inadvertently omit options, yet on C-D we're unable to modify them once created. We write here, and writers constantly modify. Would be nice if we could it here.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:27 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanAA View Post
I don't know why Minnesota is winning in this poll. Michigan has around the same number of inland lakes that Minnesota has (at over 11,000) PLUS 4 of the 5 great lakes call Michigan "The Great Lakes state!" Between a bunch of small 10 acre lakes and 4 BIG lakes that might as well be sea's, which would you choose?
Accually Lake Michigan and lake Horon are the same lake they are connected by a strait ( not a river.) so they are lobes of the same lake as they have the same lake level.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:32 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,690,750 times
Tahoe, Tenaya or June Lake California

Old 07-14-2011, 08:28 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Accually Lake Michigan and lake Horon are the same lake they are connected by a strait ( not a river.) so they are lobes of the same lake as they have the same lake level.
Actually Lake Michigan and Lake Huron, while hydrologically inseparable, they are still thought of and named as separate Lakes. Stats are given as separate lakes, listed as separate lakes (even by the USGS), so in all aspects EXCEPT hydrologically they are different. Even the retention times of the two are widely different.

They are connected by a strait, which using your reasoning would make most of the oceans and seas of the World the same body of water. Lake Michigan and Lake Huron are two different Lakes that are connected by a strait, which makes them hydrologically the same, while still being considered different lakes.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:48 AM

221 posts, read 484,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Actually Lake Michigan and Lake Huron, while hydrologically inseparable, they are still thought of and named as separate Lakes. Stats are given as separate lakes, listed as separate lakes (even by the USGS), so in all aspects EXCEPT hydrologically they are different. Even the retention times of the two are widely different.

They are connected by a strait, which using your reasoning would make most of the oceans and seas of the World the same body of water. Lake Michigan and Lake Huron are two different Lakes that are connected by a strait, which makes them hydrologically the same, while still being considered different lakes.
Correct! All 5 of those lakes are considered separate bodies of water, that are connected by straits. And yes, Lake Michigan and Lake Huron are connected by a strait that runs under the Mackinaw Bridge, Lake Superior is connected to Lake Huron by a strait (well, a series of straits and lakes) that separates the Upper Penninsula and Canada, Lake Huron and Lake Erie are connected by two straits and another lake (Detroit river, Lake St. Clair, and the St. Clair river), and Lake Erie is connected to Lake Ontario through a series of straits that also contain the Niagara Falls.

Yeah, it's such a shame what has happened to the state of Michigan. Again, I'm might be a bit biased since I am a Michigan native, but Michigan is a very special state, and I think the great lakes help make Michigan one of the most interesting places in the world. It's very very sad to see such a nice state go to waste. And really, Michigan should be up there with California and Florida and Washington State and Hawaii in popularity and international appeal, if anything, due to the amazing geography (and not to mention the longest shoreline in the lower 48 states, and the second longest shoreline in the entire US only to Alaska). But, this is getting off topic, so I'll take my "grief" to a more relevant thread.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanAA View Post
Correct! All 5 of those lakes are considered separate bodies of water, that are connected by straits. And yes, Lake Michigan and Lake Huron are connected by a strait that runs under the Mackinaw Bridge, Lake Superior is connected to Lake Huron by a strait (well, a series of straits and lakes) that separates the Upper Penninsula and Canada, Lake Huron and Lake Erie are connected by two straits and another lake (Detroit river, Lake St. Clair, and the St. Clair river), and Lake Erie is connected to Lake Ontario through a series of straits that also contain the Niagara Falls.

Yeah, it's such a shame what has happened to the state of Michigan. Again, I'm might be a bit biased since I am a Michigan native, but Michigan is a very special state, and I think the great lakes help make Michigan one of the most interesting places in the world. It's very very sad to see such a nice state go to waste. And really, Michigan should be up there with California and Florida and Washington State and Hawaii in popularity and international appeal, if anything, due to the amazing geography (and not to mention the longest shoreline in the lower 48 states, and the second longest shoreline in the entire US only to Alaska). But, this is getting off topic, so I'll take my "grief" to a more relevant thread.
No, Rivers have a drop in elevation therefore lakes on either end of the river are differant bodies of water on differant levels. On the coment of Residency time of Lake Michigan-Huron, The Michagan Lobe takes longer to completly change its water because it is the only part of the great lakes that don't have an outflow into a differant lake, but rather the strait of Makinaw, which has no flow. Both "lake Michigan" and "lake Huron" have the same water levels and are connected so therefore the same lake.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:42 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
No, Rivers have a drop in elevation therefore lakes on either end of the river are differant bodies of water on differant levels. On the coment of Residency time of Lake Michigan-Huron, The Michagan Lobe takes longer to completly change its water because it is the only part of the great lakes that don't have an outflow into a differant lake, but rather the strait of Makinaw, which has no flow. Both "lake Michigan" and "lake Huron" have the same water levels and are connected so therefore the same lake.
So the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean are the same sea (connected by the Strait of Gibraltar)?

The Atlantic and Pacific are the same because they are connected by the Strait of Magellan?

The Black Sea is the same as the Sea of Marmara (connected by the Bosphorus or Istanbul Strait) which is the same as the Aegean Sea (connected by the Dardanelles) which is the same as the Mediterranean... etc.

Your argument doesn't hold up. I guess you should inform the USGS that they have had it wrong all this time and should change the names of the two lakes. From their website they list the great Lakes as this:
Quote:
The Great Lakes System
The Great Lakes system comprises Lakes Superior, Michigan, Huron, Erie, and Ontario and their connecting waterways---the St. Marys, the St. Clair, the Detroit, the Niagara, and the St. Lawrence Rivers; the Straits of Mackinac; Lake St. Clair; and the Welland Canal.
You might want to inform NOAA they are wrong as well. I'm sure they will appreciate the information, they must be unaware right now that they are the same lake because they list them as separate lakes. Hurry up, you have the answer and both the USGS and NOAA are looking foolish .

As for the Straits of Mackinac having no flow... you're wrong. There IS a flow of water between the two lakes through the Strait. Because it is 5 miles wide it acts like a very rapid leveling mechanism for the two lakes and the flow does reverse from East to West depending on the weather conditions. There IS a flow though, take it from someone who has spent a LOT of time in that area. To say there is no flow shows how mis-informed you are on this subject.

Last edited by Bydand; 07-15-2011 at 03:51 PM..

Old 07-15-2011, 03:47 PM

Yes all the oceans are the same body of water because all the continents are islands. Both Lake Michigan and Huron have the same waterlevels and rise and fall together, so Lake Michigan-Huron is the biggest Freshwater lake in the world.
The only reason that the USGS classifies them as 2 seperate lakes is for navigation reasons. in Hydrology it is a single lake

Last edited by btownboss4; 07-15-2011 at 03:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City