Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tampa or Houston?
Houston 95 54.29%
Tampa 80 45.71%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 09:33 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,209,678 times

Advertisements

Which would you rather live in and why? Pros and Cons? Better For Healthcare?
Best For Young Adults? Things To Do? ETC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 09:44 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
Pros and Cons?
Economy/jobs - Houston. Cultural - Houston. Educational - Houston.

Quote:
Better For Healthcare?
Houston. Three words - Texas Medical Center.

Quote:
Best For Young Adults?
Houston.

Quote:
Things To Do? ETC.
Houston. Size has something to do with this.

Seems rather obvious. If Tampa is ahead on this city-data poll, I think we all know why: lots of people voting against Houston/Texas, not for Tampa. Happens all the time on here...

Old 06-09-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Economy/jobs - Houston. Cultural - Houston. Educational - Houston.

Houston. Three words - Texas Medical Center.

Houston.

Houston. Size has something to do with this.

Seems rather obvious. If Tampa is ahead on this city-data poll, I think we all know why: lots of people voting against Houston/Texas, not for Tampa. Happens all the time on here...
Thank you for the input. I am trying to decide between the two Metros so I really want input from people who has been to Houston and Tampa. I have only been to tampa so that is why.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:51 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Thank you for the input. I am trying to decide between the two Metros so I really want input from people who has been to Houston and Tampa. I have only been to tampa so that is why.
What did you like about Tampa???

Old 06-09-2010, 09:57 PM

Well I was in between Houston and Tampa or Miami, i am saving that thread for later. Tampa I liked the weather, the fact that the beach was near, I like how they had sections of the city in historic neighborhoods as well as some of the newer established neighborhoods intervened with each other. I disliked the lack of Public transportation (just as here in Orlando) and the fact downtown was mediocre looking at the Houston picture forum. I see Houston is a world class city and it looks like it has more to offer. I did like the Hospitals in Tampa bay and the fact they had a zoo, aquarium and an amusement park just for fun.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:58 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
You're in Orlando right now?
Houston is actually going to be similar to that, except much larger, more urban, busier, more to do, more diverse, etc. A huge performing arts district and museum district. Lots of festivals. And of course no theme park, but a local economy more focused on energy, medical, biotech. Oh, and WAY better restaurants.
The Bay Area southeast of town near NASA has boating/fishing and all that.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:06 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Well I was in between Houston and Tampa or Miami, i am saving that thread for later. Tampa I liked the weather, the fact that the beach was near, I like how they had sections of the city in historic neighborhoods as well as some of the newer established neighborhoods intervened with each other. I disliked the lack of Public transportation (just as here in Orlando) and the fact downtown was mediocre looking at the Houston picture forum. I see Houston is a world class city and it looks like it has more to offer. I did like the Hospitals in Tampa bay and the fact they had a zoo, aquarium and an amusement park just for fun.
Ok, well with that said:

1. The beaches in Texas won't compare to beaches in Florida.

2. Galveston Island is a very historic and interesting city located near the coast, but the beach isn't that great (it could be worse).

3. Houston has lots of historic areas and neighborhoods; as well as newly developed ones.

4. The public transportation in Houston is horrible; you have a nice BRT system, but I wouldn't depend on that for transportation.

5. Houston offers AMAZING hospitals (TMC). The Houston Zoo is ok, but nothing special and it gets very crowded. The Downtown Houston Aquarium is overrated and expensive; however, Galveston has a very nice one. No Amusment parks at this time outside of a few water parks, but one is developing in the northern part of the metropolitan area. Orlando and probably Tampa beats us in tourism as far as amusment parks and family attractions.

6. The weather in Houston will probably be similar to how it is in Tampa.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:08 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,180,281 times
Like you said FLABoyJ, Houston is a world class city. Tampa isn't on that level, a better comparison to H-Town would be Miami.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
You're in Orlando right now?
Houston is actually going to be similar to that, except much larger, more urban, busier, more to do, more diverse, etc. A huge performing arts district and museum district. Lots of festivals. And of course no theme park, but a local economy more focused on energy, medical, biotech. Oh, and WAY better restaurants.
The Bay Area southeast of town near NASA has boating/fishing and all that.
Yes I'm in orlando. and That is what I'm looking for. More Urban , more diverse, and more of a world class city feel to it. Houston comes off as Vibrant but you know I wanted others input. And THE NASA thing is important, growing up with the space coast !

Old 06-09-2010, 10:09 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,399,553 times
I can assure you that Tampa is going to be annihilated in this pole. Houston is a much larger city than Tampa with a lot more things going on. Both great cities, but in two different leagues at the moment. I would definitely go with Houston, but Tampa is really pretty with the palm trees and everything. The Houston area actually has palms as well so there goes another one out the window for Tampa; sorry! .

If I ever move to Florida, it will be somewhere near or in reasonably close proximity of Miami- period point blank. I’m sort of an all or nothing type of guy, but Houston is clearly the city with more options here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City