Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 02:08 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,799,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibbr View Post
Unless there's an organized campaign by the cities of Denver, Nashville and Milwaukee to spam message boards to build up their image, it seems that those cities are genuinely friendly. I seem them mentioned quite consistently. This is the first time I've seen Pittsburgh mentioned. I saw Denver mentioned so much that I started researching it in greater depth, but have crossed it off my list of possible places to move to because its Wikipedia page says it has Mexican gangs basically running around all over the place.
Interesting. I see a lot of people here championing Denver and MKE. Just working in customer service, I've interacted with quite a few people from these cities.

Denver folks seem very cold fish, kind of like the "stereotypical" New Englander. Only difference is that I actually have had pleasant interactions with some folks from CT and MA. So, based on perception along I'm not sure Denver folks are exactly friendly, but they're not exactly rude, either.

Many Milwaukee folks don't seem to even like to say "hello" when you say "hello" to them. Some are quite rude and brash, and I've met very few that actually even seem to know how to smile. I might actually label them based on perception alone as the coldest group of people I've interacted with from the U.S. (I will say that I do work with a MKE girl who, while she has some nasty personal habits, is as sweet as she can be.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 05:02 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Houston
Fort Worth
San Antonio
New Orleans

Old 11-14-2010, 07:39 PM

571 posts, read 1,281,530 times
In no particular order...

Houston (although I feel like this might be changing unfortunately)
San Francisco
Austin
San Diego
Tucson

Truth be told the other American cities I've been to haven't left such a favorable impression on me so I don't know that I can even come up with ten (and yes, I've been to more than 10 American cities).

International cities, however, are another story...

Old 11-17-2010, 09:56 PM

410 posts, read 633,535 times
I had the most helpful and best people here in my experiences (obviously excluding my home city, because I would probably be biased about that )
1. Memphis
2. Atlanta
3. Baltimore
4. New Orleans
5. Nashville
6. Louisville
7. Cincinatti
8. Joliet
9. Savannah
10. San Francisco
Milwaukee had some very nice people also, but I didn't spend that much time there so I can't put it on the list.

And on the other side, LA seems to have the most silent people, never got a single word out any seemingly friendly person walking a dog or anythin!

Old 11-17-2010, 10:07 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,104 times
I can only go by experience, of course.

1. Syracuse, NY
2. Charleston, SC
3. Raleigh, NC
4. Newark, NJ (Most would be like "WUH!!??", but the people on my block make an awesome community)
5. Jacksonville, FL
6. Albany, NY
7. Boston, MA

Old 11-17-2010, 10:12 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,213 times
Durham, North Carolina!

Old 11-18-2010, 01:00 PM

709 posts, read 1,400,952 times
In no real order, just some cities where I have always enjoyed the people...

Austin, Memphis, KC, Denver, Des Moines, Santa Fe, San Antonio, New Orleans, Tulsa, Omaha.

Where some of the people rubbed me wrong way...

Parts of Cali, North East (except Boston and Maine), Florida's cities (worse farther south, except Key West).

Old 11-19-2010, 03:28 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
surprised people are saying my hometown, Memphis. A lot of people who live here think that folks are really rude here.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:53 AM

709 posts, read 1,400,952 times
I have always had a great time up there and loved the people. Although with the great music and BBQ in Memphis may cloud my judgment a good bit.

Oh, I would like to add the Twin Cities to my list of places with nice people. I have had a couple bad run-ins up there, but on the whole the people I have met up there and known from up there have been top-notch folks!

Old 11-19-2010, 07:25 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Many Milwaukee folks don't seem to even like to say "hello" when you say "hello" to them. Some are quite rude and brash, and I've met very few that actually even seem to know how to smile. I might actually label them based on perception alone as the coldest group of people I've interacted with from the U.S. (I will say that I do work with a MKE girl who, while she has some nasty personal habits, is as sweet as she can be.)
As far as Midwestern cities, Milwaukee is the friendliest place I have been. When my lady and I were wandering downtown, people kept asking us if we needed directions or help finding things. I went to a pub after a Brewers game, and when the pub regulars found out that we were not from Milwaukee, they bought me a beer (and my lady a mixed woman drink) and made a list of things we check out while we were visiting. I could go on. I never experienced so much hospitality from a populace. It was.....strange.

Also, I found the general populace in Boston to be plenty nice as well. The thing I noticed about Bostonians, they will stand and hold doors open for people to the point that it is annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City