Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 09:01 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I actually think Houston is a younger version economically and demographically of Chicago. Look at the demographics of Chicago and Houston. Nearly identical.
Demographically, sure. Economically, no. Chicago has the most diverse economy in the US. Houston has a flagship economy where one or two industries make up a larger chunk of the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 09:24 AM

468 posts, read 789,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I actually think Houston is a younger version economically and demographically of Chicago. Look at the demographics of Chicago and Houston. Nearly identical.
Chicago has a more diverse economy.. If you took away oil and energy Houstons GDP would fall alot.. Those 2 industries make up a big part of Houston economy..

Old 07-08-2010, 10:28 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG2010 View Post
Chicago has a more diverse economy.. If you took away oil and energy Houstons GDP would fall alot.. Those 2 industries make up a big part of Houston economy..
They made up 85% in the 80s. Today? It's less than 45%, so it's less that half of Houston's economy. Your stuck in the 80s. Houston is a lot different nowadays. The Greater Houston Partnership is trying to attract more retail companies to Houston, to expand its company profile. Add to that the Port of Houston, fast growing IT/tech/nanotech/biotech fields, the Texas Medical Center, the energy companies diversifying, and a large increase in tourism once Earth Quest Adventures is built, and I think it's safe to say that Houston is diversifying.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:54 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Thats crazy. The medical center also makes up a huge chunk of the Houston Economy. so does shipping. Lets not forget Aerospace and Finance

So you are leaving out a lot

OIL only accounts for 11% of Houston's GAP

Old 07-08-2010, 11:04 AM

468 posts, read 789,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
They made up 85% in the 80s. Today? It's less than 45%, so it's less that half of Houston's economy. Your stuck in the 80s. Houston is a lot different nowadays. The Greater Houston Partnership is trying to attract more retail companies to Houston, to expand its company profile. Add to that the Port of Houston, fast growing IT/tech/nanotech/biotech fields, the Texas Medical Center, the energy companies diversifying, and a large increase in tourism once Earth Quest Adventures is built, and I think it's safe to say that Houston is diversifying.

You said almost Identical. Its not as diversified as Chicago.. Period....

Old 07-08-2010, 11:14 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Chicago's economy is not all that diverse.

It is largely manufactured shipments. Something easily hit by a bad economy.

Houstons Aerospace, Shipping, Technology, biomedical sectors is more recession proof

Old 07-08-2010, 11:30 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
Yeah, you have it all mixed up. First, I never said it was identical. That was Spade. Second, Spade was talking about Houston and Chicago's demographics being nearly identical. And it may not be as diversified as Chicago is NOW, but Houston is getting there...no doubt about it.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:28 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Thats crazy. The medical center also makes up a huge chunk of the Houston Economy. so does shipping. Lets not forget Aerospace and Finance
Uhh...finance? I haven't seen any evidence of Houston having a significant presence in the finance sector.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:15 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
As much as I enjoy hearing and discussing Atlanta vs Houston, their are other cities that could be discussed. For example, why is Phily ranked so low? What about, how is Columbus a Gamma city, and Cincy and Cleveland are not?

Detroit is quite an important city still home to the major car corporations, virtually Detroit is an American city and represents our stamp as leaders in the automotive industry. I think its demise is sad. It is quite a good city and I hope it rebounds soon.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:52 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHRESHTX View Post
No, actually gospel music didnt originate form ATL, it originated somewhere in Illinois. Bronzeville I believe.

And check that millionaire thing again.

And all houstonians dont bring up that oil stuff, well sometimes i do...
but people really dont realize how great of a city we are...
and no, Im not trying to whine.
Its like that kid at school.That kid at school is good at things.
And all the other kids at school are also good at other things.But they always pick at the bad things that kid has.
you know what I mean??
Its like, people in the U.S. only see the bad.
And yall bring up the same shyt.
Like its one of the "FATTEST CITIES IN AMERICA"
or '' The freeways or dirty", or even stuff like how we have a million illegals, and thats why Houston is Big.
Maybe if you all could stop pointing out the bad, we could actually show you what we got.
Maybe If you all did see how important we are because of the oil we have,
we could maybe move on to a totally different subject.
And im not talking to everyone out there.
But all im trying to point out is Houston is actually a great city...
That has things others cities dont.
You see what im trying to say??
Thomas A. Dorsey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I should clarify that he is the father of black Gospel music.He was from Atlanta moved to Chicago.
I agree totally.I have never said anything negative about Houston other than the truth.I also agree when negative truthful things are said about Atlanta too.

So the debate is basically which things in each city make it more important.I suppose important is relative too.So we will have differing opinions.But those opinions should have a full amount of logic in which to help validate each argument for or against.

Any city can find something that other cities do not have.Those things I mentioned in the previous thread are among the many things that (to me )make Atlanta unique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City