Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 01:36 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,890,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
yeah, everything is not a competition. so when i say one city's economy is based on something doesn't mean that I am saying in that category that particular city is better than another.
Okay, but would you say that finance is a major component of Houston's economy? I can't see how it would be, just based on the overall size of Houston's GDP. If it were an important local factor, scale would make Houston a major financial center. So on that basis, it doesn't seem to fit in with what we should think about when considering Houston's noteworthy industries. When I think of Houston, I think of energy, shipping, medical research, aerospace, education. Finance is of course there, as are many other industries you'd expect in a diverse economy. But it just doesn't jump to mind for most of us as significant compared to what I've listed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 01:42 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
When I think of Houston, I think of energy, shipping, medical research, aerospace, education.
Oh so you agree that Houston's economy is diverse and not just oil then?

To answer your question, Wikipedia seems to think so:

Banking and financial services are vital the region. Forty foreign governments maintain trade and commercial offices here and the city has 23 active foreign chambers of commerce and trade associations.Eleven foreign banks representing 12 nations operate in Houston and provide financial assistance to the international community. In 1997 Houston had offices of 84 subsidiaries of Japanese companies.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:02 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I suppose I misunderstood what your point was.
the person I was responding to said that Houston economy was not diverse and basically based on oil and that if that was to drop of we would not have any economy.

Here are stats from City data:

By 2004 upstream energy's percentage was reduced to 31.4 percent while downstream energy increased to 17 percent and diversified industries nearly quadrupled to 51.6 percent.

Houston is also a world leader in the chemical industry, with nearly 40 percent of the nation's capacity for producing the basic chemicals that are used by downstream chemical operations.

Through more than a quarter century of manned space flight, Houston has played an important role in space exploration...

Financial services are a key component to Houston's economy. The finance/insurance/real estate sector represented 15.4 percent of the Houston region's gross area product in 2003.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City