Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Important?
Atlanta Area 94 48.96%
Dallas Area 24 12.50%
Houston Area 50 26.04%
Miami Area 24 12.50%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 10:26 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
most of this is very very true, but how does that directly relate to atlanta being more important? they have a lot of money throughout the economy. but between houston and atlanta, which of the two cities has the industries that are directly more vital to our every day functions? houston.
Atlanta, which is why it keeps edging out Houston on all of these lists. UPS is the largest package handling company on Earth by a very large margin. At some point, most of what you own or that you come in contact with everyday was shipped by UPS. That is not an exaggeration as it literally usually the only package handling company in countries. If you want something from China (which is pretty much everything that is manufactured today) it has to get on a UPS airplane. The business by itself doesn't make a lot of money, but without our everyday world wouldn't be able to function the way it does. Now, you might say the same for oil from Houston, but keep in mind Houston isn't the only city that is a energy center and it's not even the largest in the world (but it is still a key player).

That's just one example of dozens. If you look at Atlanta based companies, and see what their role is in the global economy, it becomes very clear why it is Atlanta is ranked as high as it is.

Quote:
i've read it. twice now, and still say the same. but look, like i told chiatldal, it's all going to depend on how the individual feels, so let's just leave it at that
I'm not certain that you do. That blog, and ranking cities, has nothing to do with "how the individual feels" about it. Im not sure how you came to that conclusion given the presented data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 10:33 AM

74 posts, read 249,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
I understand but here is my point. Arguably Houston is the Most important Metro. Well when i take the fact Miami Metro has 3 Ports, NUMEROUS International Airports, Numerous International Business and Uncountable amount of media attention, that can NOT be beat by Nasa Some Oil and A Port.

That is what I'm saying but every one wants to "Ohh this has been discussed before." Not it has not. Everyone takes into account the economy, yeah so what there is a lot more a metro can do than a city and its name. People fail to realize that.
i understand. and true MIAMI is very important metro, but houston have more than one port, two...and two very important ones: one in houston and one in galveston....also we have NASA and TMC...the largest medical district in the US...which is saying A LOT...also we are not only the engery capital of the US, but of the WORLD...and we have tons of refineries for oil and other petrochemicals....NOW that could beat MIAMI-DADE...

Old 06-21-2010, 10:35 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Atlanta, which is why it keeps edging out Houston on all of these lists. UPS is the largest package handling company on Earth by a very large margin. At some point, most of what you own or that you come in contact with everyday was shipped by UPS. That is not an exaggeration as it literally usually the only package handling company in countries. If you want something from China (which is pretty much everything that is manufactured today) it has to get on a UPS airplane. The business by itself doesn't make a lot of money, but without our everyday world wouldn't be able to function the way it does. Now, you might say the same for oil from Houston, but keep in mind Houston isn't the only city that is a energy center and it's not even the largest in the world (but it is still a key player).

That's just one example of dozens. If you look at Atlanta based companies, and see what their role is in the global economy, it becomes very clear why it is Atlanta is ranked as high as it is.
houston is the energy capital of america, and some say the world. it's only real competition is dubai. but having the port of houston as the busiest foreign tonnage port in america is nothing to sneeze at. i simply do not agree with you here

Quote:
I'm not certain that you do. That blog, and ranking cities, has nothing to do with "how the individual feels" about it. Im not sure how you came to that conclusion given the presented data.
oh, so what you're saying is that i'm not allowed to disagree with it? it's not okay that i have my own opinion on it?

atlanta is a brand name city with brand name companies attached to it. that will translate into importance with many people.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:38 AM

1,416 posts, read 3,211,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonboi22 View Post
then NASA, then the US 2nd busiest port, then the FACT ITS THE ENERGY CAPITAL, then the oil....

Well Orlando has NASA, the TOURISM CAPITAL ( Might Not Match Up To Oil iN peoples Mind But it Comes A Long Way For Residents), and the most Hotels and Resorts , and POrt Canaveral.

Not bashing Houston, I feel it is Arguably most important, I do however feel there should be one special thing about a Metro that no other Metro has which I feel Miami does.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:46 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
atlanta is a brand name city with brand name companies attached to it. that will translate into importance with many people.
As the poll clearly shows.

It seems as though you are really going out of your way to minimize everything Atlanta does well. Do you not understand the concept that many of our leading companies are truly global players, across several industries?

Old 06-21-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
houston is the energy capital of america, and some say the world. it's only real competition is dubai.
Again, I'm not denying that is what makes Houston important.

Quote:
but having the port of houston as the busiest foreign tonnage port in america is nothing to sneeze at. i simply do not agree with you here
A water port is only one part of the logistical game. After it is taken off of a ship it has to go elsewhere. That's done either by truck or rail. Guess where all lines both on road and the rails terminate in the South. Atlanta is the largest rail and trucking hub on the east coast and one of the largest in the county. And if you hadn't noticed we've got the busiest Airport too. Houston's port is important, but it doesn't trump Atlanta's rails, roads and air capabilities.

Quote:
oh, so what you're saying is that i'm not allowed to disagree with it? it's not okay that i have my own opinion on it?.
No, I did not say that at all. What I'm saying is that those list were based on data assembled in a quantifiable way. Not emotion or opinion.

Quote:
If you think that's all there is to Atlanta, then you are greatly misinformed.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:01 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
I agree Atlanta is very important, but the question asked which city would make the biggest impact; if destroyed. I picked Houston.

We can go back and forth, but I just don't see Atlanta as important as Houston and us in Houston extremely suffering from Atlanta being destroyed as much as they would if something happened to us.

When the hurricane hit Houston; people across the south were in frenzy (especially Atlanta). When a natural disaster hits Atlanta; our city will still be going strong and totally unaffected.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:07 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
I knew it! I bet myself this would turn into an Atlanta vs. Houston pissing contest!

I owe myself $10.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanative10 View Post
i knew it! I bet myself this would turn into an atlanta vs. Houston pissing contest!

I owe myself $10.
lol!

Old 06-21-2010, 11:25 AM

475 posts, read 685,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
When the hurricane hit Houston; people across the south were in frenzy (especially Atlanta). When a natural disaster hits Atlanta; our city will still be going strong and totally unaffected.
Unless, of course, the CDC let loose some of those pandemic causing viruses/diseases they keep a "copy" of. That's not natural, but it's equivalent to the resources of one area impacting another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City