Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Important?
Atlanta Area 94 48.96%
Dallas Area 24 12.50%
Houston Area 50 26.04%
Miami Area 24 12.50%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 11:38 AM

74 posts, read 249,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I don't really see how. All four cities are pretty diverse and none of them really trump the others. As for importance, all of those think tanks and organizations disagree with you. Sorry.

BUT, it's not a huge runaway difference. They area all essentially the same, there are just a few areas that Atlanta and Miami excel at that Houston and Dallas do not. That could easily change in an instant. For now though, it is what it is.

Edit:

None of those studies evaluate appeal, popularity and other irrelevant topics.
i have to disagree, houston is WAAAAY more diverse than the others listed. here is some factual information it back that statement up:
Demographics of Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Most Diverse Cities In The U.S. | Planetizen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 11:52 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonboi22 View Post
i have to disagree, houston is WAAAAY more diverse than the others listed. here is some factual information it back that statement up:
You posted the city proper stats. Since Houston is 600 sq miles, and Atlanta and Miami are much smaller (131 and 36 sq miles respectively), in that light it will look more diverse. Compare them on the MSA level, then they are all just as diverse. Just in different ways.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:57 AM

18 posts, read 45,850 times
I'd have to go with Dallas before any others.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:02 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
I dont mean to knock it because I think Houston is probably the most diverse of the ones listed, but the article is 10 years old.

How exactly do we define diversity? Are different kinds of hispanics viewed differently or are they all viewed under the same title of hispanic? Same with Asian.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:10 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
i have to disagree, houston is WAAAAY more diverse than the others listed.
Maybe by a hair, but actually Houston and Dallas are really close demographically. The percentages of the major racial groups almost mirror each other exactly.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:14 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
I'd say Houston because it is doing way better than Atlanta and Miami, and it's a little better than Dallas. Atlanta is winning because when one thinks of the South, they think of ATLANTA for some reason. Also, people think that Atlanta is the only city of the 4 in the South, but people actually forget or are a little iffy when it comes to Houston, Dallas, and Miami being southern.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:23 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
As the poll clearly shows.

It seems as though you are really going out of your way to minimize everything Atlanta does well. Do you not understand the concept that many of our leading companies are truly global players, across several industries?
yeah, point the finger at me as if everybody else isn't doing the same thing with houston

Old 06-21-2010, 12:27 PM

74 posts, read 249,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
Well Orlando has NASA, the TOURISM CAPITAL ( Might Not Match Up To Oil iN peoples Mind But it Comes A Long Way For Residents), and the most Hotels and Resorts , and POrt Canaveral.

Not bashing Houston, I feel it is Arguably most important, I do however feel there should be one special thing about a Metro that no other Metro has which I feel Miami does.
i understand that but houston has the MAIN NASA base. where take-off proceeds along with recearch and most of the space exploration projects....and yes port canaveral is big, But not like the Port of Houston.....and houston has a VERY stable economy because it can rely on numerous of HUGE amenities, while Miami has only 2 or three....If the airport was gone..miami, would be hurt, if you take away bush-IAH or oil, we still have NASA and TMC....so I can see where you're coming from , but houston, overall, is more stable

Old 06-21-2010, 12:29 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I agree Atlanta is very important, but the question asked which city would make the biggest impact; if destroyed. I picked Houston.

We can go back and forth, but I just don't see Atlanta as important as Houston and us in Houston extremely suffering from Atlanta being destroyed as much as they would if something happened to us.

When the hurricane hit Houston; people across the south were in frenzy (especially Atlanta). When a natural disaster hits Atlanta; our city will still be going strong and totally unaffected.
well like i said, it seems the united states government recognizes houston (and probably also miami) as that city, seeing as how it's received more homeland security funding

Old 06-21-2010, 12:30 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
yeah, point the finger at me as if everybody else isn't doing the same thing with houston
"buuuut i guess cnn and coca-cola are more important than medicine and fuel"

I rest my case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City