Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you rather live in?
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 77 44.25%
Minneapolis, Minnesota 97 55.75%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 06:50 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,150,566 times

Advertisements

My responses are in bold and underlined.

Speaking of "typical," you started this reply exactly how I was expecting you to -- with a "typical Pittsburgh" quip. You and your ilk are just as easy to read as you imply that we "typical Pittsburghers" are.

I can't help it. I'm just used to these replies from Pittsburghers.

Of course, Pittsburgh "reeks with ugly people," in your own words. You came with the insults first.

I insulted what I thought was the overall attractiveness of its people. Not you yourself. If you are not ugly, consider yourself lucky that you are in the minority.

There were plenty of Minneapolis pictures posted, and many of them took place at what appeared to be festivals. (Correction: I've been informed that they were taken in St. Paul.)

Is this the truth, or are you just speculating? I can't say for sure because I have never lived there. However, I have lived in Pittsburgh so I can give a fairly accurate opinion.

"They reek with ugly people."

Agree.

Enough for it to be a destination.

LOl. A destination for what? You can't be serious. For other areas of the city like Oakland. This I'll agree. But other than that, I can't imagine people making a vacation out of the southside of Pittsburgh.

I have been to 34 different states in my lifetime, plus four other countries. This includes several dozen large cities, plus many noteworthy international cities like Toronto, Montreal, Taipei, Hong Kong, and Ho Chi Minh City. I still like Pittsburgh, and really, my travels have only reinforced my opinion that it's the most underrated city in the U.S.

Who cares? Was not asking for your resume.

What about my not that bright, exactly?

Your silly little attempt to discredit me. You take a few opinions that I have and correlate me with some body I never even heard of. Seriously, give it a rest. And I do stand by my thesis, your not that bright.

So what you're saying is, those festivals didn't really happen in Pittsburgh? That's about the only way I could see a false portrayal of the city. Each city has its own unique festivals, you know. This weekend, Pittsburgh has the Three Rivers Regatta. Chicago has the Taste of Chicago. Atlanta had the Peachtree Road Race this morning. But those must be false portrayals of each of those cities. After all, there's nothing more fake than the people of each city gathering in a common area for a festival.

Show me where I said that these festivals did not happen in Pittsburgh. Actually, I think I was calling them festivals. Every city has festivals. However, when you try to pass off festival pictures as what a city area looks like daily. That my little friend is false advertisement. I know it, and you know it.

I rated Minneapolis as superior in four categories, Pittsburgh as superior in three categories, and the remaining categories were "Push." I've never considered Pittsburgh to
be the be-all-end-all as you claim.

Good to know.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 07-04-2010 at 07:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 09:26 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,736,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I can't help it. I'm just used to these replies from Pittsburghers.
And I'm used to these replies from Pittsburgh bashers.

Quote:
I insulted what I thought was the overall attractiveness of its people. Not you yourself. If you are not ugly, consider yourself lucky that you are in the minority.
I've seen plenty of attractive people in Pittsburgh, and plenty of unattractive people in other cities -- even the glamorous ones like Los Angeles and Miami.

Quote:
Is this the truth, or are you just speculating? I can't say for sure because I have never lived there. However, I have lived in Pittsburgh so I can give a fairly accurate opinion.
I've lived in Pittsburgh too, so my opinion on the city counts no less than yours.

Quote:
LOl. A destination for what? You can't be serious. For other areas of the city like Oakland. This I'll agree. But other than that, I can't imagine people making a vacation out of the southside of Pittsburgh.
A destination for anybody who visits the city. Look up any Pittsburgh tour guide under the "nightlife" section, and find out which street gets mentioned first.

Quote:
Who cares? Was not asking for your resume.
Quote:
Have you ever been out of Pittsburgh? Not a backhanded insult, but a serious inquisition.
You cared enough to "seriously enquire," apparently. Don't ask me a question and then tell me you don't care when I give you an answer you don't want to hear.

Quote:
Your silly little attempt to discredit me. You take a few opinions that I have and correlate me with some body I never even heard of. Seriously, give it a rest. And I do stand by my thesis, your not that bright.
You don't need me to discredit you. You're doing a good enough job of that yourself, just like Richard Florida did to himself.

Quote:
Show me where I said that these festivals did not happen in Pittsburgh. Actually, I think I was calling them festivals. Every city has festivals. However, when you try to pass off festival pictures as what a city area looks like daily. That my little friend is false advertisement. I know it, and you know it.
No more false than pictures of the festival in St. Paul. Do you really think that's what Minneapolis streetscape looks like from November through March?

By the way, this has to be one of the closest polls I've ever seen on this section of the website.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:31 PM

76 posts, read 242,493 times
I think all cities have ugly people until nightlife comes out.

It seems like people who go to Pittsburgh have polar opposite reactions to the attractiveness of its residents. It might depend on where you are. Somewhere like Lawrenceville or Polish Hill is going to have a lot of "ick" factor, whereas Shadyside and Carson Street are covered in hotties. Most people in Minneapolis look weird. Kinda like beavers, or elves, hard to describe.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:42 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,736,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8move8away8 View Post
I think all cities have ugly people until nightlife comes out.

It seems like people who go to Pittsburgh have polar opposite reactions to the attractiveness of its residents. It might depend on where you are. Somewhere like Lawrenceville or Polish Hill is going to have a lot of "ick" factor, whereas Shadyside and Carson Street are covered in hotties. Most people in Minneapolis look weird. Kinda like beavers, or elves, hard to describe.
I didn't think anybody looked that out-of-the-ordinary when I visited the Twin Cities.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:26 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,268,692 times
I've lived in the Twin Cities my whole life but if I had to move, Pittsburgh would probably be my first choice although I'd probably consider Chicago, too. Those are my three favorite cities in the country.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:27 AM

787 posts, read 1,696,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
And I'm used to these replies from Pittsburgh bashers.

I've seen plenty of attractive people in Pittsburgh, and plenty of unattractive people in other cities -- even the glamorous ones like Los Angeles and Miami.

I've lived in Pittsburgh too, so my opinion on the city counts no less than yours.

A destination for anybody who visits the city. Look up any Pittsburgh tour guide under the "nightlife" section, and find out which street gets mentioned first.

You cared enough to "seriously enquire," apparently. Don't ask me a question and then tell me you don't care when I give you an answer you don't want to hear.

You don't need me to discredit you. You're doing a good enough job of that yourself, just like Richard Florida did to himself.

No more false than pictures of the festival in St. Paul. Do you really think that's what Minneapolis streetscape looks like from November through March?

By the way, this has to be one of the closest polls I've ever seen on this section of the website.

Actually, the only festivals were the ones that I explicitly pointed out in the St. Paul pictures. A lot of those pics were taken by the photographer during November through April -- check out the clothes people are wearing!

Old 07-05-2010, 09:13 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,212,024 times
Wow, this is a tough one. I think I'd go with Pittsburgh though because to me it's more architecturally interesting and I much prefer Pennsylvania to Minnesota.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:24 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,061,765 times
^ So you would rather live in Pittsburgh because it's more architecturally interesting?

The OP asked the following:
Which would you rather live in?? Which city has the most amenities that fit your needs? Please make sure to include the following to make your decision:

Better public transportation
Better economy
Better housing costs
Better layout
Better museums
Better schools/universities
Better restaurants
Better shopping
Better nightlife
Better parks
Better events

When considering the above criteria, the Minneapolis area wins fairly easily.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:49 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,103 times
According to whom...You....Please----And the Polls shows both cities are pretty much in the same class.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:11 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,009,022 times
That's impressive for Minneapolis because obviously the Pittsburgh homers have already taken this forum. They are everywhere. Pittsburgh is definitely the most overrated city on this site. I know in reality nobody cares about that city and its population is shrinking, and people are not even moving to the suburbs because the metro population is also shrinking, and it might be a little underrated there, but here at this site, no other city is more overrated than Pittsburgh. It is annoying. From the same pictures posted again and again by those homers, it is an average town with a pretty skyline. That's it. Those scenes posted again and again and somehow taken as pride by those homers, are just average scenes you can find in any city with a respectable size. There is nothing spectacular about that place. Get real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
According to whom...You....Please----And the Polls shows both cities are pretty much in the same class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City