Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 12:39 AM

1 posts, read 989 times

Advertisements

I am a single female, active 62, looking for my "final" retirement home. I currently live in So Cal, in the Antelope Valley (population approx 300,000.) Although I have family and friends here, and a comfortable life style, I am considering retirement options outside of CA. I have been researching for about a year and have narrowed my options to Tucson & Albuquerque areas. I have followed many of the Tucson vs Albuquerque threads, but found them more confusing than helpful!

I hope to buy a house in one of the new gated, active 55+ retirement communities in Green Valley or Oro Valley (Tucson area) or Los Lunas (ABQ area). I have visited all 3 areas and will be going back again later this month (to spend a week in both cities.) Information on these areas would be much appreciated.

My requirements/questions:

Climate:
I like the So Cal climate, warm weather & sunshine, but not sure about the long, hotter Tucson summers. I think I would prefer the ABQ clime.

Cost of Living:
CA is not a cost-effective retirement option! Looking for a lower cost of living (taxes, gas, utilities, food, entertainment, etc)

Life style:
1. I am an amateur thespian; very involved in community theatre as actor, stage manager, tech manager and (hopefully) future director! This is a MUST HAVE for me.
2. Volunteering: Although I still run a home business, I do a lot of volunteer work in my community: local theatres (usher, concession, etc); tutor for the adult literacy program; run a senior's archaeology club/class.
3. Access to movies and good restaurants
4. Nice libraries and museums (would love to be a docent)
5. Walking/hiking (safe places to go)

Location/Traffic:
I am a CA driver, so freeway driving is not a problem!! Close proximity and easy access (drive time) to the city and places I would frequent, is very important.

Safety:
Do I need to be concerned about crime in the areas mentioned???

Altitude:
The Antelope Valley is about the same as Green Valley (around 2800 ft). Will it be hard to acclimate to the higher elevation in Albuquerque?

Attitude:
I like the "small-city/big-town" atmosphere here and it seems that both Tucson & ABQ are similar, though larger, with more to do. Is it easy to meet people; make new friends (remember I am 62, single & female?)

Bugs:
I have heard horror stories about spiders and termites in Tucson area & the huge black beetles in ABQ. Is this a real concern in either place??

Mountain Views:
Love the mountains!! Not a beach person.

So far, I am really torn. I love the warm winter climate & the Saguaro cactus in Tucson. But the summer climate in ABQ is ideal and proximity to Santa Fe is a plus. Tucson is closer to "home" and also has more developed retirement communities (Robson & others.) Los Lunas is freeway-accessible and I think closer to ABQ than GV or OV are to Tucson.

I think I can be happy in both places, but I REALLY want to make the best...RIGHT...choice. I don't want to move again!! Final note: I plan to keep my house here either as a second home or to lease out; at least for a few years. So moving back here will still be possible, but not something I will want to do.

Sorry for the long post. Your comments (positive & negative) will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City