Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is #1?
Philadelphia 146 58.17%
Pittsburgh 105 41.83%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 09:04 AM

126 posts, read 304,354 times

Advertisements

stop saying the only nice part of the city with things to do is center city thats not true
I live in west philly (a nice part) and some places I like to go to besides center city are:

manayunk (northwest philly)
bella vista (south philly)
sports complex (south philly)
main section of fairmount park (north philly and west philly)
roxborough (northwest philly)
FDR park (south philly)
marconi plaza (south philly)
northern liberties (north philly)

wynnefield heights (west philly) the neighborhood i live in is near wynnefield heights, so even though it doesnt really compare with the others I listed, I still like that neighborhood because of its shopping centers and restaurants. and its close to me

this is just my personal list of some of my favorite neighborhoods and places, and this is just outside center city.
center city isnt the only part of the city with things to do please stop saying that

Old 07-10-2010, 09:50 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,892,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgsh View Post
stop saying the only nice part of the city with things to do is center city thats not true
I live in west philly (a nice part) and some places I like to go to besides center city are:

FDR park (south philly)

wynnefield heights (west philly) the neighborhood i live in is near wynnefield heights, so even though it doesnt really compare with the others I listed, I still like that neighborhood because of its shopping centers and restaurants. and its close to me

this is just my personal list of some of my favorite neighborhoods and places, and this is just outside center city.
center city isnt the only part of the city with things to do please stop saying that
I didnt say center city was the only nice neighborhood...but its the only thing that are talking about when they say "Philly over Pittsburgh" most are comparing soley the downtown and nothing more, and when you do that yes Philadelphia is going to look world better than Pittsburgh because it's more centralized with the larger downtown....But if you compare whole city to whole city.....Philadelphia lead over Pittsburgh greatly diminshes

None of those neighborhoods you listed matches the Vibrancy of the Pittsburgh neighborhoods I posted...No one goes to those neighborhood to do High end shopping, have fancy casual lunches, catch movies, go to art galleries, see live plays, just hang out at Cafes and coffeehouses....except for NL which some would consider CC the part below Spring Garden...and if you've ever been to Pittsburgh neighborhood you'd know this.....

if you think different then match everyone of those Pittsburgh neighborhoods that I posted up with a Philly neighborhood out side CENTER CITY....this I would love to see.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:13 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:

FDR park (south philly)
Yes stop that!

Enough with the lies, false accusations, and mistruths.

Its bad enough listening to these jackals from SF bash Philly now we are taking on schrapnel from our own state brethren.

A couple other favorite spots of mine

Chestnut Hill
East Falls
University City
West Mount Airy
The Far NorthEast(middle class neighborhood with 300,000 population)
City Line -Belmont-Overbrook Farms
Wissahickon Gorge
Forbidden Drive
West philly neighborhoods(Clark Park,Cedar Park,Spruce Hill,Powelton Village)

West Philly- Cedar Park
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:vg1Z0MWIE44w2 (broken link)

Chestnut Hill- 3rd best urban oasis in the USA per Forbes behind Park Slope NYC and Beverly Hills.

http://www.artsphoria.com/food_files/sitebuilder/images/14.ChestnutHill-R_Kennedy.GPTM.jpg (broken link)

Manayunk

Wissahickon Gorge that runs from Chestnut Hill (NW Philly) down into Manayunk/East Falls/center City. Have had enough of this Philadelphia is only Center City jibber-jabber. The Upper Schuylkill is one the best designed most beautiful riverbanks in the country.The river trail runs from Center City all the way out to Valley Forge. Respect the root system of this area please.

Last edited by rainrock; 07-10-2010 at 11:23 AM..

Old 07-10-2010, 11:20 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,391,257 times
Location- philly
Geography- .....
Size-- phily
Lifestyle- philly
Safety-pitts
Less Crime-pitts
Walkibility- philly
Skyline- pitts
Downtown- philly
Architecture- philly
Food- philly
Restaurants- philly
Education- philly
Museums/Art- philly
Festivals- pitts
Tourist attractions/landmarks- philly
Nightlife- philly
Generally nicer/friendlier people- pitts
Parks- tie
Diversity (people)- philly
Diversity (neighborhoods)- philly
Weather- tie
Nightlife- philly
Jobs/Economy- tie
Things to do-
Better Reputation- pittsburgh
Sports- pittsburgh
Weather-tie
Shopping- philly
Transportation- philly
Vibrance- philly
Cost of living-
Proximity to other place- philly

Old 07-10-2010, 12:51 PM

126 posts, read 304,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I didnt say center city was the only nice neighborhood
Quote:

Right all they wanted to talk about was Center City...because that's all there is to Philly...step outside Center City and Philly is a completely different story...
Quote:
Philadelphia Center City is the only common ground for the region

Old 07-10-2010, 12:52 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,827,372 times
Quote:
Ignore em

Old 07-10-2010, 01:55 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,708,533 times
I have to say Pittsburgh has got to have th worst name for a city EVER. But besides that its a nice place, cleaner than philly but much smaller.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:11 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,618,877 times
What a stupid battle. It's like comparing New York to Philly.

Philadelphia is MUCH LARGER than Pittsburgh and with that comes a whole lot of advantages -- and depending on how you view it, disadvantages.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:13 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,618,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Location- philly
Geography- .....
Size-- phily
Lifestyle- philly
Safety-pitts
Less Crime-pitts
Walkibility- philly
Skyline- pitts
Downtown- philly
Architecture- philly
Food- philly
Restaurants- philly
Education- philly
Museums/Art- philly
Festivals- pitts
Tourist attractions/landmarks- philly
Nightlife- philly
Generally nicer/friendlier people- pitts
Parks- tie
Diversity (people)- philly
Diversity (neighborhoods)- philly
Weather- tie
Nightlife- philly
Jobs/Economy- tie
Things to do-
Better Reputation- pittsburgh
Sports- pittsburgh
Weather-tie
Shopping- philly
Transportation- philly
Vibrance- philly
Cost of living-
Proximity to other place- philly
Agree with everything except reputation. I would still say the country as a whole views Pittsburgh in more of a negative light than Philly. Many tourists from around the world visit Philly and see that it is truly a great city. Pittsburgh does have a great reputation among urban enthusiasts, however.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:46 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
I didnt say center city was the only nice neighborhood...but its the only thing that are talking about when they say "Philly over Pittsburgh" most are comparing soley the downtown and nothing more, and when you do that yes Philadelphia is going to look world better than Pittsburgh because it's more centralized with the larger downtown....But if you compare whole city to whole city.....Philadelphia lead over Pittsburgh greatly diminshes

None of those neighborhoods you listed matches the Vibrancy of the Pittsburgh neighborhoods I posted...No one goes to those neighborhood to do High end shopping, have fancy casual lunches, catch movies, go to art galleries, see live plays, just hang out at Cafes and coffeehouses....except for NL which some would consider CC the part below Spring Garden...and if you've ever been to Pittsburgh neighborhood you'd know this.....

if you think different then match everyone of those Pittsburgh neighborhoods that I posted up with a Philly neighborhood out side CENTER CITY....this I would love to see.

Just to clarify, Center city (adding the direct peripheral neighborhoods) is basically the same size (population) of all of Pittsburgh, I bring this up not because a bigger is better conversation but because you go back to this comparison. The other point is Center City Philly is easily among the top 5 urban centers in the country. So yes to discuss Center City versus any other city is relevant including Pittsburgh. You say but the Burgh has other nieghnbohoods outside of downtown, ok, yes they do but remember all you include mimics the size but not overall vibrancy of Center City. Add on top other neighborhoods in Philly Manyunk, Chestnut Hill etc. and yes it has more to offer. You can't have it both ways and say Philly can not compare to the non DT neighborhoods Pittsburgh and in the same breadth say that is all that Philly has (which is wrong to begin with) Center City. Honestly I would take Center City over all of Pittsburgh, not to mention all the other great neighborhoods of Philly.

Also PA has two great cities with different compositions and both IMHO are great at what they are. Also I really don't think most people in Philly compare it to Pittsburg, moreso DC, Baltimore, Boston, and NYC, they are all closer too.

Last edited by kidphilly; 07-10-2010 at 04:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City