Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where does Seattle Belong? Importance Tiers
With 1-AA (Atlanta, Dallas, San Fran, Philly etc.) 71 48.30%
With 1-A (Denver, Baltimore, San Diego, Phoenix etc.) 76 51.70%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 02:03 PM

343 posts, read 1,084,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
I agree with grapico, Seattle seems like it peaked in the 90's with Nirvana, Microsoft, and Starbucks. Also, losing 3 Fortune 500 Companies and an NBA franchise is a pretty big deal.
Disagree. I think it's ridiculous to say Seattle's peaked. For starters, Starbucks is still the premier international coffee chain. Then there's Amazon.com, Nordstrom's, RealNetworks, Alaska Airlines, Holland America, Jones Soda, etc. Between Dendreon, Zymogenetics, Omeros, Oncothyreon and Trubion, the area is a biotechnological hub. Not to mention the importance of the fishing industry, with Trident Seafoods, American Seafoods, and HQ Sustainable Maritime Industries.

You also mention the loss of the Sonics. Frankly, I don't think it is a pretty big deal, especially considering the construction of two world class facilities for the MLB's Mariners (Safeco Field), and the NFL's Seahawks (Qwest Field). Any vacuum the Sonics' departure created has been more than adequately filled by the MLS' Sounders, who are shattering league attendance marks with nearly 40,000 a game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 02:06 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I think a Seattle versus Hoboken thread may in order
A disturbing rash of Hoboken vs. Everything Else threads; we don't need any more of them...

Old 07-12-2010, 02:08 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
I'd place Baltimore in a higher bracket than Minneapolis, Detroit, Cleveland, St Louis, Pittsburgh, and Atlanta. Just saying.
You would put slum-ridden Baltimore above Atlanta and Minneapolis? Sorry, not a chance..

Old 07-12-2010, 02:08 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicsFan93 View Post
Disagree. I think it's ridiculous to say Seattle's peaked. For starters, Starbucks is still the premier international coffee chain. Then there's Amazon.com, Nordstrom's, RealNetworks, Alaska Airlines, Holland America, Jones Soda, etc. Between Dendreon, Zymogenetics, Omeros, Oncothyreon and Trubion, the area is a biotechnological hub. Not to mention the importance of the fishing industry, with Trident Seafoods, American Seafoods, and HQ Sustainable Maritime Industries.

You also mention the loss of the Sonics. Frankly, I don't think it is a pretty big deal, especially considering the construction of two world class facilities for the MLB's Mariners (Safeco Field), and the NFL's Seahawks (Qwest Field). Any vacuum the Sonics' departure created has been more than adequately filled by the MLS' Sounders, who are shattering league attendance marks with nearly 40,000 a game.

I agree some great development has taken place in Seattle but they keep losing the commercialization of these products, even Provenge is likely going to run more and more out of their Jersey office, look at Etanercept and Immunex - great drugs but are losing the commercialization aspects, which means the money

Old 07-12-2010, 02:11 PM

330 posts, read 681,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Definately 1-AA in my opinion.

They have heavy trade with the Pacific Rim that is only increasing - the Port of Seattle blows everything else in the Pacific NW out of the water. They have also gained several new nonstops to Asia after the Delta/NW merger, and Delta has larger plans for them in the future.

Quite an impressive stable of homegrown corporations, several of which are undisputed industry leaders. Add one of the healthiest Downtowns in the U.S. (especially considering the size of the metro) with a very impressive collection of retail (including the flagship Nordstrom & the regions flagship Macy's), a wonderful quality of life and a location that could only be described as stunning. They are late to the game when it comes to rail, but that is being addressed with the opening of the first phase of Link Light Rail. Sounder Commuter Rail has been in place for a while now, and is a resounding success.

The only drawbacks are the cost of living and the weather (for some).

Seatte punches WAY above its weight, imo.
Sounder carries less than 10,000 people per day on it's 2 lines. I'd hardly call that a "resounding success". Let it hit 50,000+ per day before giving it such a description.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Two_Times View Post
Sounder carries less than 10,000 people per day on it's 2 lines. I'd hardly call that a "resounding success". Let it hit 50,000+ per day before giving it such a description.
Over 20,000 a day actually.

Light rail ridership grows another 8 percent in May

Quote:
Sound Transit says Central Link light rail averaged 21,774 boardings per weekday in May, setting a new high mark. It's an 8-percent increase over April's average of 20,129, which was the previous high.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:18 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,596,478 times
Quote:
It's been a resounding success thus far in that it experiences double-digit ridership percentage growths year after year, and there are approved plans in the works to extend the line and add extra capacity.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:19 PM

330 posts, read 681,556 times
Quote:
No. The Sounder isn't the light rail. The Sounder is the heavy commuter rail. It carries less than 10,000 per day.

But thanks for coming out.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:20 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,596,478 times
Quote:
Link Light Rail is separate from the Sounder commuter rail. Sounder is traditional heavy rail and serves Tacoma.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
No. The Sounder isn't the light rail. The Sounder is the heavy commuter rail. It carries less than 10,000 per day.

But thanks for coming out.
Excuse the hell out of me for misreading your comment, your highness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City