Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 09:37 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,418,437 times

Advertisements

This is basically a poll to find out what regions, geographical areas, or cities don't really fit in with the overall character of your state. For instance, a large city in a mostly rural state, a Southern area in an overall Northern or Western state, or an area that borders a city or metropolitan area in another state.
You may think that this region belongs in another state, or should be a state (or maybe even a country) of its own.

I'll start out with an example from my home state, the great state of Michigan:

Niles, and really the whole extreme southwest corner of the state (Berrien and Cass counties, excluding the cities of Benton Harbor and St. Joseph, and including extreme SW Van Buren County) does NOT belong in the state of Michigan.

The area identifies with South Bend and "Michiana" more than any city in Michigan. Niles in particular is only five miles from South Bend and is essentially a suburb of that city. Residents of this area rarely go to other areas of Michigan for anything; choosing to work, go to school, and shop in South Bend, Mishawaka, or Elkhart. Big events involve going to Chicago, not Detroit or Grand Rapids.

There are far more Indiana Pacers, Indianapolis Colts, and Notre Dame fans than there are Michigan State, Univ. of Michigan, Detroit Pistons, or Detroit Lions supporters. Niles is actually closer to Indianapolis than it is to Detroit, and this shows in the area's sports support. Oddly, area residents prefer teams from Indianapolis over Chicago, even though Chicago is much closer. In sports that don't have teams in Indiana, Chicago teams dominate, with the Blackhawks and Cubs beating out the Red Wings and Tigers (very few White Sox fans).

The area is in the South Bend media market, and gets South Bend (and Chicago) radio and TV stations, as well as newspapers.

Economically, the city and area is part of Indiana and heavily tied to Indianapolis and Chicago, with almost no influence from Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids, let alone Detroit.

Politically, despite being in Michigan, the area is far more concerned with Indiana politics. I doubt some residents could tell you who the governor of Michigan is, but they know who's running for the South Bend school board, or who the treasurer of Notre Dame is. This is probably due to being in Indiana's media sphere.

Overall, Niles (and the surrounding area) is part of Michigan in name only, and should really just secede from the state and join Indiana, where it would be a much better fit. If this did happen, I doubt most residents would notice, because they already think they're in Indiana.

Are there any areas in your state like this? Tell us about them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 09:39 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,344,038 times
Northern Virginia Doesn't belong in Virginia!

Old 08-23-2009, 10:05 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,338,414 times
New York City and Long Island don't really belong in New York State, there have been several secession movements for NYC/LI to be a seperate state, they should join New Jersey in my opinion.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:52 PM

268 posts, read 948,937 times
Atlanta doesn't belong with Georgia, two completely different worlds, Metro Atlanta gets treated like a bastard child even though we are responsible for GA's economic growth over the past few decades, the rest of the state should realize that without Atlanta all you have is Mississippi(No offense to the people in Mississippi).

Old 08-24-2009, 12:00 AM

542 posts, read 992,268 times
I don't live any where near there, but the Chicago area seems to be completely different from the rest of Illinois. Atlanta is a world unto itself compared with the rest of GA. Central PA is in another time next to Philly and Pitt. NY and NOVA have already been mentioned. Personally I like the contrast between the big city and the rural areas. For instance, I live 2.5 hrs from DC in the Shenandoah Valley of VA. But like to frequent DC to take advantage of its world class museums, transportation, and entertainment. I'm not into sports, but it's nice having the option to go see pro sports whenever I wanted, if ever. It's nice to leave the stress of the city and return to my cozy little area.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:52 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,011,141 times
The entire Phoenix area doesn't really belong in Arizona. There is so much influence from Southern California in the Phoenix area, that it would be a better fit there.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:55 AM

96 posts, read 243,774 times
Well, I believe the bootheel of Missouri does not technically fit in with the rest of the state. It's got quite a southern feel there that the rest of the state only mildly shares with it. Beautiful area, however, it just doesn't seem to be Missouri.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:56 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,564,648 times
There are border irregularities in the US and some such communities might fit as "belonging" in other states due to that.

Carter Lake, Iowa - Once tried to become part of Omaha, Nebraska.
The Northwest Angle of Minnesota
Reverie, Tennessee - A very tiny community pretty much surrounded by Arkansas due to an earthquake.
Bootheel of Missouri as mentioned.

Going by places that appear to be culturally different than the rest of their state

Ketchum, Idaho - In what might be Idaho's most liberal county and well-liked by celebrities.

Massac County, Illinois - Part of the Paducah, Kentucky metropolitan area.

East Chicago, Indiana - Seems to be the only majority Hispanic town in Indiana and is in the Chicago metropolitan area.

Lawrence, Kansas - Solidly progressive/liberal part of a conservative state.

Lexington, Nebraska - The only majority Hispanic community in Nebraska.

Allegany County, New York - Borders Pennsylvania, solidly conservative.

Park City, Utah - The Sundance Film Festival and one of the few Utah towns not founded by the Mormons.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:50 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,542,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
New York City and Long Island don't really belong in New York State, there have been several secession movements for NYC/LI to be a seperate state, they should join New Jersey in my opinion.

totally agree. anything north of Peekskill is a totally different state imo. its not even similar to CT.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:19 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,548,962 times
Many areas of California don't feel like other areas of the state.

LA and SF for example feel like different states.

But that's not a bad thing-its an awesome thing that such diversity should exist not just here, but in many if not all states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City