Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick One
Phoenix 26 25.24%
Atlanta 52 50.49%
Tampa/Orlando (specify in thread) 25 24.27%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 08:36 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,821,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
Chattahoochee River
Lake Allatoona
Lake Lanier

= multiple.

True, it doesn't sit on a Bay, but the overall statement is incorrect.
Exactly...I get so tired of hearing people say that Atlanta has no water. These are HUGE recreation areas that cover many square miles, and they are firmly part of the city of Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 08:55 AM

475 posts, read 685,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Um... I get it, you want to represent Atlanta but this is a bit of a stretch

Atlanta, GA to Holiday On Lake Lanier - Google Maps
Atlanta, GA to Allatoona Lake - Google Maps

A 43 miles and 37 miles outside of downtown are the only lakes... compared with Orlando:
Orlando, FL - Google Maps

or Tampa:
Tampa, FL - Google Maps

When people talk about water in the city I don't think most people are referring to a lone lake or two that can be gotten to as a day trip. It would be like me in Orlando saying not only do we have hundreds of lakes but we also then have the Ocean.
Orlando, FL to Titusville, FL - Google Maps

Thats the difference. There are lots of good things about Atlanta, but don't try to make like it has waterways because it doesn't.
This was an "it does" or "it does not" conversation. If anyone is stretching it beyond that, it's you. Too many conditional statements in your post. Atlanta DOES have multiple bodies of water. All else is secondary dialogue.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:33 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,954,302 times
Golf= Orlando hands down. Water is suprisingly prominent here as well. I personally knew an ESPN wakeboarder growing up and our lake was right in our backyard, no cars involved. His name was Phillip Stoven (look him up) and we could even take a boat or jetski to school.

Tampa has the Gulf, but Orlando has the Golf. I also grew up with Chris DeMarco's niece and have known many people who have bumped into (hopefully nothing more) Tiger Woods. The Golf Channel is even located here along with Arnold Palmer's legacy.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:57 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,209,021 times
Tampa, Orlando, Phoenix.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:06 AM

908 posts, read 1,830,866 times
Atlanta, the only real city from the list. Followed by Phoenix.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:29 AM

23,478 posts, read 44,134,843 times
Quote:
Being that the only criteria given is Golf I think its safe to say Orlando wins this by miles and miles.
That statement is entirely debatable.

Atlanta, Georgia Golf Courses

Orlando, Florida Golf Courses

Phoenix, Arizona Golf Courses

Tampa, Florida Golf Courses

Orlando does have quite a variety of courses, but all of these cities seem to hold their own in this category. Really, of the four Atlanta would seem to have the oldest and most established golf heritage as it was home to golf's greatest legend, Bobby Jones and his home course, East Lake Golf Club.

East Lake Golf Club*Home Page

Old 11-18-2010, 09:31 AM

442 posts, read 829,228 times
Quote:
Um... I get it, you want to represent Atlanta but this is a bit of a stretch

Atlanta, GA to Holiday On Lake Lanier - Google Maps
Atlanta, GA to Allatoona Lake - Google Maps

A 43 miles and 37 miles outside of downtown are the only lakes... compared with Orlando:
Orlando, FL - Google Maps

or Tampa:
Tampa, FL - Google Maps

When people talk about water in the city I don't think most people are referring to a lone lake or two that can be gotten to as a day trip. It would be like me in Orlando saying not only do we have hundreds of lakes but we also then have the Ocean.
Orlando, FL to Titusville, FL - Google Maps

Thats the difference. There are lots of good things about Atlanta, but don't try to make like it has waterways because it doesn't.

Most people don't live downtown, so it could be from 5 min to an hour for most people to get to a lake in the Atlanta metro and thus not a whole "day trip" like you said. Nice try though.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:07 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,954,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
Most people don't live downtown, so it could be from 5 min to an hour for most people to get to a lake in the Atlanta metro and thus not a whole "day trip" like you said. Nice try though.
I don't think you UNDERSTAND, many of us who live or lived on a lake merely walked into our backyard and lowered the boat hoist to launch. I love Atlanta, I know your lakes are there but let's face it, unless you live on one of those few lakes, the effort required to trailer a boat or skis would be reason enough to make it a DAY TRIP (at least a 1/2 day). This is one Atl doesn't have on us but it would be wrong to say none, or nobody in Atl (metro) lives that way.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:15 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,702,227 times
Orlando is home to the golf channel, plus numerous professional golfers and some of the largest golf tournaments.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:34 AM

165 posts, read 484,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Orlando is home to the golf channel, plus numerous professional golfers and some of the largest golf tournaments.
lol, i don't think being home to the Golf Channel means anything. That would be like saying Atlanta is the weather capital because The Weather Channel is here, or we're cartoon experts because The Cartoon Network is based here.

But having been to Tampa before and not quite liking it, and not a fan of the desert southwest landscape, (and being pretty much an Atlanta native) I'll say Atlanta.

I haven't been to Orlando, so i cannot comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City