Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Republic of Cascadia, yes or no?
Yes! 39 54.17%
Noo 22 30.56%
Who? What? Isn't it all just trees up there? 11 15.28%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 06:09 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
I didn't know my question sounded so weird lol. I was just wondering, do people in that part of Canada wanna be separate from the rest of it? Do they feel isolated from their government and country too?

Also, if they were independent, would they wanna join with the US Northwest states? Is there that much of a "brotherhood" type relationship over there?
Yes. You should look into Vancouver-Seattle. The two people they were named after. They are practically like twin cities and function as such.

Not as closely related geographically as say Detroit-Windsor, but they function nicely together.

Caphillsea will tell you all about them and the similarities the people share and how they view one another.

I'll wait for Cap to tell you, he's the professional on all things Pacific Northwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 06:29 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,520,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Yes. You should look into Vancouver-Seattle. The two people they were named after. They are practically like twin cities and function as such.

Not as closely related geographically as say Detroit-Windsor, but they function nicely together.

Caphillsea will tell you all about them and the similarities the people share and how they view one another.

I'll wait for Cap to tell you, he's the professional on all things Pacific Northwest.
Oh, I knew Vancouver and Seattle were really close, I just didn't think people in that part of Canada wanted to be separate from it, like Quebec.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Oh, I knew Vancouver and Seattle were really close, I just didn't think people in that part of Canada wanted to be separate from it, like Quebec.
I don't think they want to separate from Canada. I just think there's a good bond between PNW and BC. (Ionic Bond! )
It's probably a hypothetical question. I think the original post was meant to ask, can it be a successful country if it were to be a country.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:48 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,916,925 times
Quote:
No, they don't. and most people in the PNW don't want to separate from the US either.

The stupidest part of this is definitely the idea of building a capital city hundreds (maybe 1000?) miles from anywhere in a mountainous rainforest. If Cascadia was a nation and wanted to build a capital from scratch there are a million more reasonable places.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
I don't think they want to separate from Canada. I just think there's a good bond between PNW and BC. (Ionic Bond! )
It's probably a hypothetical question. I think the original post was meant to ask, can it be a successful country if it were to be a country.
I guess it'd be successful, if they keep up good trading/business relationships with the US. What would they do about switching money to something new? I'm just imagining like how it would work if it really happened. They'd probably just end up being a vassal state to the US. Our lil North Korea lol, please nobody get offended by that, you know what I mean lol.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:
I guess it'd be successful, if they keep up good trading/business relationships with the US. What would they do about switching money to something new? I'm just imagining like how it would work if it really happened. They'd probably just end up being a vassal state to the US. Our lil North Korea lol, please nobody get offended by that, you know what I mean lol.
I guess so. But there's also Seattle as an active port city. Trade with the Asian Tiger nations is a great way to start off trade regulations with foreign countries and boost the economy by folds. (Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea) Then there is also Japan, China, India, Malaysia, & Vietnam, among others as well.

It's already got an increased number of immigration coming in from there. So that's fine.

Hong Kong was able to derive it's own currency "The Hong Kong dollar" I don't think Cascadia would be "3rd world" natured to have such a weak currency system. I am sure they will establish one, just as many countries do when they are formed.

Another thing, there are nations far smaller in size and wealth, and weaker infrastructure such as Bhutan. That can exist peacefully, so I don't doubt it for a minute. And yes, first thing to do when forming a nation would be to settle who the trade partners are, the US comes to mind, but remember- to be healthy you need to balance your economy on what you take in and factor out. So the real challenge would be to diversify the economy and make use of natural resources and start exporting those.

By the way, anyone knows what happens to tax rates and such for companies that are located there and it breaks off as a different country. Like say, that Boeing is located there (which it is) but headquartered in Chicago (which it is also), what would happen to Boeing in Seattle then? Like do they adjust to a different tax rate and set their Cascadian headquarters there or completely dismantle the company and move it back into the active US regions?

But it's a hypothetical question, so it's never going to happen.

Say adios to whoever dreamed this one up.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
I guess so. But there's also Seattle as an active port city. Trade with the Asian Tiger nations is a great way to start off trade regulations with foreign countries and boost the economy by folds. (Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea) Then there is also Japan, China, India, Malaysia, & Vietnam, among others as well.

It's already got an increased number of immigration coming in from there. So that's fine.

Hong Kong was able to derive it's own currency "The Hong Kong dollar" I don't think Cascadia would be "3rd world" natured to have such a weak currency system. I am sure they will establish one, just as many countries do when they are formed.

Another thing, there are nations far smaller in size and wealth, and weaker infrastructure such as Bhutan. That can exist peacefully, so I don't doubt it for a minute. And yes, first thing to do when forming a nation would be to settle who the trade partners are, the US comes to mind, but remember- to be healthy you need to balance your economy on what you take in and factor out. So the real challenge would be to diversify the economy and make use of natural resources and start exporting those.

By the way, anyone knows what happens to tax rates and such for companies that are located there and it breaks off as a different country. Like say, that Boeing is located there (which it is) but headquartered in Chicago (which it is also), what would happen to Boeing in Seattle then? Like do they adjust to a different tax rate and set their Cascadian headquarters there or completely dismantle the company and move it back into the active US regions?

But it's a hypothetical question, so it's never going to happen.

Say adios to whoever dreamed this one up.
I know there's plenty of small countries that do fine on their own, but you have to establish yourself first. I was just thinking, aren't countries that have to start a new currency out of need (forget the Euro, that was planned) usually in turmoil along with that, and imagine all those people whose US dollars suddenly become useless. There's also things like, how do they maintain their highways when the US gov. suddenly pulls out it's 90% funding of that.

I don't know much about taxes, but I'd imagine the US would wanna pull any American companies out of there as a kind of punishment to start with. Also, alotta companies may wanna move out to avoid any negative connotations/connections with the breakaways.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
I know there's plenty of small countries that do fine on their own, but you have to establish yourself first. I was just thinking, aren't countries that have to start a new currency out of need (forget the Euro, that was planned) usually in turmoil along with that, and imagine all those people whose US dollars suddenly become useless. There's also things like, how do they maintain their highways when the US gov. suddenly pulls out it's 90% funding of that.

I don't know much about taxes, but I'd imagine the US would wanna pull any American companies out of there as a kind of punishment to start with. Also, alotta companies may wanna move out to avoid any negative connotations/connections with the breakaways.
Alan Greenspan books will cover that part and other economists too on how currency is evaluated. I have read several on my own. Freakonomics would be another good read. The transition of currency, it's like an exchange, after you establish your own currency, you will have a time period where you will be exchanging it for your own with it's own rate. It's not like the dollar goes useless to the inhabitants immediately- they will have the chance to use it and trade it off.

It's kind of like adding new type of $20 bills to the system, you remember that? When they changed the design and how they added it, it came in a small drove and now it's the majority of the bills out there. It's just like that, they can make a trade transition on their currency with it.

Bhutan is the only country in the world that measures it's GDP by actually measuring GHP (Gross Happiness Product) pretty weird system, but hey it works for those guys! Normally people would go like "that's cute" such a tiny country measuring their wealth off of happiness. Lol.

As for highways and roadways that's what they can establish their own tax systems for. That's not really as hard as configuring the mess with their companies. Same with anything relating to infrastructure.

Seattle is a major IT hub and has a good experienced field of workers for that, and I am positive they won't pull out everything for there. the government won't regulate how the businesses react, because businesses normally do what gives them most profit. Thus the outsourcing of jobs in the first place, it's all about the $$$ to them.
So it has little to do with the political environment of "Cascadia" from what I would understand, but the hard part is figuring is how they would regulate foreign taxes on corporations and who had to pay what and how.

Lol, is there anyone with a Business major out there who can answer that question? I am pre-law so I don't know any of that.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Alan Greenspan books will cover that part and other economists too on how currency is evaluated. I have read several on my own. Freakonomics would be another good read. The transition of currency, it's like an exchange, after you establish your own currency, you will have a time period where you will be exchanging it for your own with it's own rate. It's not like the dollar goes useless to the inhabitants immediately- they will have the chance to use it and trade it off.

It's kind of like adding new type of $20 bills to the system, you remember that? When they changed the design and how they added it, it came in a small drove and now it's the majority of the bills out there. It's just like that, they can make a trade transition on their currency with it.

Bhutan is the only country in the world that measures it's GDP by actually measuring GHP (Gross Happiness Product) pretty weird system, but hey it works for those guys! Normally people would go like "that's cute" such a tiny country measuring their wealth off of happiness. Lol.

As for highways and roadways that's what they can establish their own tax systems for. That's not really as hard as configuring the mess with their companies. Same with anything relating to infrastructure.

Seattle is a major IT hub and has a good experienced field of workers for that, and I am positive they won't pull out everything for there. the government won't regulate how the businesses react, because businesses normally do what gives them most profit. Thus the outsourcing of jobs in the first place, it's all about the $$$ to them.
So it has little to do with the political environment of "Cascadia" from what I would understand, but the hard part is figuring is how they would regulate foreign taxes on corporations and who had to pay what and how.

Lol, is there anyone with a Business major out there who can answer that question? I am pre-law so I don't know any of that.
I guess I just have a more pessimistic view of the world than you do lol. For one reason or another, I just don't see Cascadia working well if it has to break away from the US first. At least not in the beginning, and for a long time after. Eventually things would equalize and all that, but it'd be long down the road. If Cascadia was already it's own country and that's just the way the world was (no questions asked lol) then I think it would obviously do pretty well. Just not as well as if it's attached to the US.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
I guess I just have a more pessimistic view of the world than you do lol. For one reason or another, I just don't see Cascadia working well if it has to break away from the US first. At least not in the beginning, and for a long time after. Eventually things would equalize and all that, but it'd be long down the road. If Cascadia was already it's own country and that's just the way the world was (no questions asked lol) then I think it would obviously do pretty well. Just not as well as if it's attached to the US.
Ordinarily I get that a lot. I don't ever see the downside to anything.

Well factor in the GDP for all the respective regions succeeding from US/Canada. They're not babies. They can take care of themselves!

I think the coolest thing about living in this country is that it's a united country, but every state has the power to exercise on it's own. That's why California's GDP is 1.8 trillion versus like Wyoming with whatever it has got. (no offense to people there)

Every state has the power to dictate how it's run. And of course the federal government is there too to bail out and support which is a dependency and reliance that anything after a succession has to get used to living without. That comfort zone is gone.

I don't believe in succession but I do like hypothetical questions such as this, it gives you a great idea of how powerful a region is/will be. And what it truly means to the country overall to lose it. We would lose Microsoft, among other great companies.

You know the saying, "you don't know what you have until it's gone". It's something I like to hypothetically put into play with things like this.

Yeah, when a country is formed most normally do have a considerable amount of debt, but they center their economy to figure it out. Remember, self reliance would lead to so many new jobs in say shipping/port/trade, and new federal jobs created and etc... which would pace them to pay off the debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City