Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who does Philadelphia share more similarities with?
New York City 73 91.25%
Chicago 7 8.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:13 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,069,441 times

Advertisements

I've heard plenty of times that Center City Philadelphia is very similar to Manhattan by feel.

I've heard so many parallels also being drawn to Chicago.

I know Philadelphia is smaller than both New York City & Chicago, but who does it resemble more?

Who does Philadelphia have more in common with overall? New York City or Chicago?

Give your reasoning to why you picked whatever you did.

---------------------------------------------------

Architecturally it reminds me more of New York City, but I don't know about anything else to speak of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 11:15 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,265,595 times
Philadelphia would fit right in as an outer borough of NYC if it were picked up and dropped next to New York. It has the same basic attitude, age, architecture, narrow streets, rowhouses, etc., whereas Chicago looks exactly like what it is by comparison: a city that came to prominence over a century later.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:17 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,973,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Philadelphia is like a smaller version of Brooklyn. It has the same basic attitude, age, architecture, narrow streets, rowhouses, etc., whereas Chicago looks exactly like what it is by comparison: a city that came to prominence over a century later.

This may be a pretty good description, the only thing i would offer is a little bit of Manhattan, or mostly Brooklyn with a minor Manhattan at it's core based on the cities offered

The people also share some similarities, maybe moreso with brooklyn overall and smattering of mahattan as well

Old 07-12-2010, 11:20 PM

14,188 posts, read 22,774,131 times
I still think it's a hybrid of the two, so I can't decide.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:22 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,829,314 times
Philly's infrastructure is more like a mix of Baltimore/NYC
Chicago's infrastructure is very different IMO.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:29 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,069,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Philly's infrastructure is more like a mix of Baltimore/NYC
Chicago's infrastructure is very different IMO.
When I am in Manhattan and when I am in Chicago. They feel worlds apart. Like the difference between a sea of history and traditional buildings and very very compact with millions right there. New York City has pockets of poster modern glass gleamers but is mostly the art deco and tall but established style.

In Chicago it's like, the streets are wider, the buildings are glass gleamers, it's always shining because of the glass reflecting the sunlight, like that video I took of that one building in Chicago if you saw it and there's tons of people out but you don't feel like it's as much as say Boston because Chicago is just wider. Chicago has pockets of traditional buildings. This is more of a "city of tomorrow style feel".

The infrastructure all in all is just so much more different.

I don't know if people have experienced the same way I have, but all three seem similar yet so different when your actually in them.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:34 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,968,440 times
Ah damn, I selected the wrong one. Philly is more like the NYC area to me. You could drop it in across the Hudson and wouldn't blink twice.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:41 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,973,782 times
The other thing to remember is Philly is like a scaled down version of NYC, but if given the same size MSA as Chicago it would equal to if not larger in population. As it goes to the North, a comparable distance would be naperville to the north (that distance is already considered the NY MSA) and north to an area like Waukegan you are nearly into the whole Newark complex etc. But to be fair that area is strongly NY and not Philly but the region is developed differently than Chicago - Chicago has much more expansive suburbs

Last edited by kidphilly; 07-13-2010 at 12:05 AM..

Old 07-13-2010, 12:13 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,829,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
When I am in Manhattan and when I am in Chicago. They feel worlds apart. Like the difference between a sea of history and traditional buildings and very very compact with millions right there. New York City has pockets of poster modern glass gleamers but is mostly the art deco and tall but established style.

In Chicago it's like, the streets are wider, the buildings are glass gleamers, it's always shining because of the glass reflecting the sunlight, like that video I took of that one building in Chicago if you saw it and there's tons of people out but you don't feel like it's as much as say Boston because Chicago is just wider. Chicago has pockets of traditional buildings. This is more of a "city of tomorrow style feel".

The infrastructure all in all is just so much more different.

I don't know if people have experienced the same way I have, but all three seem similar yet so different when your actually in them.
True, and it all comes down to location. Cities in the North East all have similar architecture to a degree- So of course NYC will eat up the poll.
Baltimore and Philly have a very similar residential build up. The rowhome galore in Philly and Bmore is almost unheard of in Chi, there's almost always a bit of space between homes in Chicago.
As far as street grid goes, Philly and Baltimore are similar. NYC and Chicago are both in their own league.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:48 PM

32,120 posts, read 34,781,879 times
These links on Google Maps should give you a good idea.

West Philadelphia at 63rd and Lansdowne.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...12,155.86,,0,5

Bay Ridge, Brooklyn
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...12,134.31,,0,5

Chicago @ S. Prairie and 44th
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...12,240.84,,0,5

If you stroll up 44th street on that last link, you can see that some parts of Chicago look like a city in the south. Philly has abandoned lots too, but I don't think you can find this much open room in the city so close to downtown.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.001076&z=19

Last edited by BajanYankee; 07-13-2010 at 03:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City