Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 06:53 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times

Advertisements

One of the few topics that always bother me year round is the trade off you get from a city like Houston and something like Jersey City.

In Dallas or Houston, you get quite a lot for what it's worth (well you get a handful) and in Jersey City you get location, density, and all that stuff.

I find myself transitioning between two different lifestyles myself, I have a hard time telling which one is better, but I'm starting to get a clearer idea now.

My question to you people is, would you find the standard of living to be better in any of the Texas cities, or would you go through with lifestyle in New Jersey for what it gives you (which is location)?

Would getting a house for say $650,000 (just a random number) in suburban Houston, with perhaps 4,500 square feet of space, and plenty of shopping and food options as well as parks and great schools be more attractive to you then living near the "Big City" and having access to the unlimited amount of things you can do.

In Texas there is no state income tax, taxes in general are lenient. Property tax is perhaps the biggest downside, but it's still something most would take over having income tax.

I don't know about New Jersey, so I am not going to talk about something I know little of.

In your honest opinion, what type of lifestyle do you prefer? And does your age have something to do with it?

Lets keep this to no bashing, and let's try to have a constructive, ON TOPIC conversation here.

Read my whole post before you comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 11:44 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
simply put, theres nothing in new jersey touching Dallas or houston

Old 07-17-2010, 11:54 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
Ehh, Texas cities are better in terms of what they offer as individuals. Not necessarily better when it comes to other amenities, but to be fair, they are the more desirable cities.

NJ's cities are some of the smallest major cities in the nation (land wise) so they have better access to surrounding areas in general with the strong public transportation NNJ has-
For example, Newark is probably seen as an old, shabby city- But it offers what it can, and I love it for that, but from the center of Newark, traveling in a 12 mile radius will get you NYC, JC, Montclair, Hoboken, and the Elizabeth shipping ports- You can travel 12 miles from the middle of Houston and still be in Houston.

Houston's actual cities are better, But NJ's metro areas are better.

Last edited by BPerone201; 07-17-2010 at 12:11 PM..

Old 07-17-2010, 12:41 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
simply put, theres nothing in new jersey touching Dallas or houston
In actuality, according to the OP's criteria, NYC wouldn't touch Dallas or Houston either.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:32 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,893,205 times
And it doesn't need to be said, but Texas also has alot more cities than Jersey..... even though non of them may feel as "urban".

Old 07-17-2010, 06:39 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Taxes are the one thing that are bigger in NJ, both income and property, I believe that NJ as a state has the highest taxes in the nation

What NJ can offer is better schools and more upscale suburbs, but that comes at a cost, honestly NJ has some of the nicest suburbs in the country even though that is rarely described on here. There is no suburban living offered in TX that is not also offered in NJ - but again the price points are a lot different

NJ also has a select few urban enclaves that offer a type of neighborhood not available in TX

But the two largest NJ cities for NJ lie on it's borders, seperated by fairly large rivers

Old 07-17-2010, 07:14 PM

996 posts, read 1,896,043 times
Texas cities, easily.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:33 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,299,392 times
It's hard to compare NJ cities (the largest of which have 240-280,000 inhabitants) to TX cities with populations over 1 and 2 million.

BUT, if asked whether I'd rather live here in Jersey City or in say, Houston, I'd pick Jersey City in a second. I love my neighborhood, and I'm a sucker for brownstones and snow! I like being within an hour of the shore and mountains, everything I need is in walking distance to my place, and my commute to the office in NYC is 20 minutes by PATH.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:39 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
I also think on this thread, the proximity and access in suburban settings even if not in the "city" boundaries is similar. There is really no suburban lifestyle not available in jersey that is availbale in TX cites/metros. The differance is cost and proximity of a more urban environment that overall offers more, not slighting TX cities.

Honestly as harsh as this sounds in many ways you get what you pay for, if your sq footage is more important with cheaper property and less taxes than TX is the winner. If amentities, education, more jobs (yes there are far more in NJ and accesable to NJ), arts, big cities than NJ is the winner

Old 07-18-2010, 09:36 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
^^ That's cool. Which is why I made this thread. It is not to compare the cities in the states, but the lifestyle of the people.

I didn't want to be the first to respond to my own post, so I am going to just do my response now.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I pick Texas. This is why.

I honestly have no care about density, or public transportation. Those things to me are a waste to be frank. (no offense- but I mean for my particular lifestyle) Why the hell would I care about there being 10,000 other people near me when I don't know who those people are? I like being around only people I know and trust. Yeah density adds to vibrancy, but why the hell would I care about being near some random people? (don't answer that- it's rhetorical)

I live both lifestyles mind you.

In Chicago I have to rely on public transportation, I do not have a car up there, I mean why would I keep a car there when I only live there 3 months in a year?

So public transportation is how I get around:
1. I am not in control of my time.
2. I can't jam to my preference in music, be it rap, electonica, rock, whatever without people staring like I'm some idiot who belongs in some special ed course funded by the government...
3. I can't make a stop to Dairy Queen to get a milkshake on a hot day... and I do like milkshakes at unexpected times.
4. I might be sitting next to some weirdo
5. I can't control the temperature in there
6. Many other reasons too many to list...

I mean if you use public transit and are happy then cool, but it's not my thing to be honest. I can see why people use it, it's easier on the wallet, but I honestly can't stand that kind of lifestyle... it drives me nuts.

Now, in Houston, I have my car, and I love my car. It's a pretty baller car. I can take about 4 of my friends with me, roll down the windows, and the sunroof, blast the music (be it rap, electronica, whatever), drive 80 MPH with my radar on cue for cop alert on HWY 59, and just let the wind and breeze do it's course.

I can be sitting in a restaurant and get a call from my mother who urgently needs me home for some crisis, I can get up and leave and be in control of my time when I am driving.

I am not one of those Houston posters who will make the city sound better than it is. Houston's public transportation SUCKS, completely, they are extending it, but it will still suck, it's freaking 579 square miles of land. DART sucks too, just as much, any city with a spread out layout will have massive failure compared to a compact and dense city. These cities in the sunbelt including LA improving their public transit are doing it for minimal reasons, as most of their population won't even tap into it's potential. Basically it seems like to me that it's there to be like "oh we have one too".
It's fine, auto-centric cities are fine, I will gladly wait in traffic in my car than take public transit. Traffic moves fast in most roads I take in Houston, some can be slow but I don't ever dare getting on 610 during office hours.

Houston is NOT the most fun city, it's a business city and a family oriented one, with moderate amenities, the same with Dallas, Austin, etc... all of them aren't like Miami, or NYC, or Chicago, so stop thinking of them like that. There are three types of cities:
1. Business & family cities (where living is sweet)
2. Fun and party (Las Vegas and Miami)
3. Mega Cities- where you have excellent of everything, both 1 & 2 combined

I already accepted that, I live in an auto-centric city, that depends on the car. I like that, I like a reason to own a car to get around. I like that quite a lot. In fact, I find myself to enjoy driving a lot too, my friends and I have seen every major city in Texas just because we enjoy car trips. If that wasn't enough, we are doing one just to see the whole Eastern Sea Board this summer for 2-3 weeks.

Next, I like downtown Chicago, but I am glad I am living by myself there, it would get cramped in my loft... it is ridiculous how much you can get in say Sugar Land, Texas for what it's worth. You want to talk about saving some dough and possibly getting like new Italian shoes and a car or something with the amount you save, do it. Because Houston is a baller place to live for most, same with Dallas. But not the lifestyle for everyone, and I understand & accept that.

I honestly feel like a complete idiot sometimes wanting to live in Downtown Chicago over it, but guess what? I am young, I still find that city living style more attractive. But one day when I have my own family, I know which city I will be living in and it's not Chicago, it's probably Houston or Dallas.

It took me a while to get Houston down, (I didn't even know we had a San Jacinto monument until 2 years ago) but most visitors who see the city, they don't know where to go, they go off where people tell them. I found all those secret spots, those bars, and those nightclubs. Chicago has a hell lot better of a electronica themed club, but Houston has some crazy fun ones too. (when you find them) Not at Miami's level, but it's the same level as Atlanta, Austin, & Dallas. (probably the most comparable cities to it) The thing is, you need a car to get around, they are a bit spread out. Like club Roxy and other Asian clubs are possibly in the North end, Club Illusion is in Uptown, etc... you get what I mean. (those were just some examples)

I like the amenities offered. The basics. There is upscale shopping, I am not a shopper myself, I hate malls to the max! But that's what Dallas & Houston dominate in. I kind of don't like the shopping atmosphere anymore, even in Chicago, I avoid the shopping on Magnificent Mile. I just prefer to get my clothes online from the clothing companies direct website.

I am not a shopper so I will not comment on such because shopping just ticks me off, lol unless it's electronics, then I am in for discussion.

As for amenities, well I'm not trying to break a world record at the worlds best bar. I just want a good one with some good people and not in the ghetto and good drinks. I get that here, good public schools- I am a product of one. Good colleges, Houston actually has the best in Texas in that regard (Rice University), just all around a international place, where I can pick up good ethnic food. I get that here.

So I probably don't want much out of it. I'm not really into the whole "hey I have 57357 more malls than you" type of thing.

Last thing, I am moderate politically, I would probably punch a leftist person if they told me to switch to a hybrid car because of environmental reasons or a conservative that told me what I am doing is a sin... so I like an atmosphere where people back off and leave it be. I get that in both Chicago & Houston. I kind of like being left the alone when it comes to politics.

When moving my parents had three options that they liked:
1. San Jose, California
2. Houston, Texas
3. Dallas, Texas
They picked Houston, standard of living, was higher, good school system, good amount of amenities, good airport for traveling, good shopping, plenty of things to do, and near the coast (something they edged Dallas out of) Everything was the same between Dallas & Houston, we actually lived in Dallas after Houston but went back due to the coastal proximity, which was the only major difference when it came to lifestyle.

Anyways, I just took this picture of my house right now- please excuse my family in the picture and it's probably only accessible to my friends on CD, so they will be able to see exactly why I am saying I prefer my lifestyle in Houston more- (I uploaded my houses picture into my Houston album, all the pictures I took in downtown one day)
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...-img-0670.html

^^ That is exactly why I don't want to switch on over from style of living. I like to have space in my home, and like to have plenty of it too. And that is why I prefer Texas over New Jersey. (yes- the house I live in plays a big role for me)

But that is just my preference I suppose, everyone has their own opinion, I didn't make this thread to be a one way street- I made it so people can talk about WHY they like one style over another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City