Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 04:01 PM

468 posts, read 790,526 times

Advertisements

These too cities are very close in having a very educated workforce in there city..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 04:22 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,068,800 times
Speaking of education, it should be these "two" cities. Lol I'm just giving you a hard time.

Boston wins but Atlanta is no slouch though. If Harvard wern't in Boston then it would be super close.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:34 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Speaking of education, it should be these "two" cities. Lol I'm just giving you a hard time.

Boston wins but Atlanta is no slouch though. If Harvard wern't in Boston then it would be super close.
It should also be THEIR city ... just sayin'

Old 07-19-2010, 04:41 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,488,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
It should also be THEIR city ... just sayin'
If you want to be that critical, the entire sentence is garbage.
"These too cities are very close in having a very educated workforce in there city.."

Shouldn't it be something like.. These two cities are close when it comes to having an educated workforce. ..?

Anyway, it's probably Boston. I'm curious to know though, what percentage of the educated population was educated in that city vs. the amount that are transplants.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
If you want to be that critical, the entire sentence is garbage.
"These too cities are very close in having a very educated workforce in there city.."

Shouldn't it be something like.. These two cities are close when it comes to having an educated workforce. ..?

Anyway, it's probably Boston. I'm curious to know though, what percentage of the educated population was educated in that city vs. the amount that are transplants.
Well, you're correct about the sentence structure itself. But I didn't want to hate (though I'm actually an editor for a living, so ... guess I had an ethical/moral duty to do so and I failed ... )

You can look up Census data to see that Boston wins this, by a couple of percentage points, but what difference does it make whether it's home-grown intelligence or imports? Just curious ... obviously, Atlanta is gonna have more relocated brains. And it could be said that's more complimentary of Atlanta, since smart people don't flock in droves to undesirable places.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:05 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,488,704 times
Quote:
Well, you're correct about the sentence structure itself. But I didn't want to hate (though I'm actually an editor for a living, so ... guess I had an ethical/moral duty to do so and I failed ... )
I wasn't correcting you.. I just couldn't resist going in on the OP. I mean look at the irony in that.

Quote:
You can look up Census data to see that Boston wins this, by a couple of percentage points, but what difference does it make whether it's home-grown intelligence or imports? Just curious ... obviously, Atlanta is gonna have more relocated brains. And it could be said that's more complimentary of Atlanta, since smart people don't flock in droves to undesirable places.
I was just curious. Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing that stat for every city. Knowing would put a new perspective on why companies relocate where and why do people stay/leave different cities. I want to see if there is a correlation between home-grown knowledge and whether or not the majority of graduates stay or leave and if that affects the amount of jobs available, etc.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:25 PM

I know for a fact that "brain drain" is a real problem in some states (Alabama for example) but fortunately Georgia doesn't have that problem. Not only does it have a recent history of attracting large numbers of highly educated transplants, but also retaining native college graduates.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:26 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:

I'm just curious...how did you come up with the statement about Atlanta having more "relocated brains" than Boston? That sounds like more of a theory than a fact.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:33 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Are we comparing just Boston and Atlanta proper? Or the Boston Mass, Rhode Island, New Hampshire CSA vs the Atlanta Georgia, Alabama CSA?

They have different setups, sizes and commuting patterns.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I'm just curious...how did you come up with the statement about Atlanta having more "relocated brains" than Boston? That sounds like more of a theory than a fact.
Well, it is a theory but a very logical one. Boston's MSA grew up fewer than 200,000 people from 2000-2009; Atlanta's MSA grew by more than 1.2 million. It doesn't take a rocket scientist (pun intended) to acknowledge that many of those people moving to Metro Atlanta are highly educated and RAISING the bar overall, not lowering it. This isn't meant as a slight of Atlanta, just a reality -- it's got a highly educated, diverse white collar work force that in turn attracts more of the same. In sheer numbers, Boston just doesn't match in the relocation quotient. That's why I suggested Boston's brains are more home-grown, while Atlanta's are drawn from around the country and the world (i.e. just look at the CDC or CNN for example, which both draw highly skilled, highly professional people to Atlanta for very specific jobs that are hardly found in such mass quantities in similar sized cities.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City