Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 10:48 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
Both Have there problems and one i live and one ive lived.
PROS-CLEAVELAND
Amusement paks
They get some good concerts
CONS-CLEAVELAND
For some reason i just dont like it
Its crazy poor like foreal
I never did find much to do downtown ( Not saying it sucks i just didnt find much.)
PROS-MEMPHIS
Rich musical legacy
lots to do
Nice clubs and more than 2 entertainment districts ( Downtown,Midtown,Eats Memphis,South Main)
CONS-MEMPHIS
CRIME
2#on most dangerous list
Some very dangerous 3world lookin areas
Wille Herenton though he's gone now it will take som time to undo what he did.

Cleveland does not have amusement parks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 02:06 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,246 times
Cleveland - For its world renowned culturally endowed institutions, world acclaimed healthcare, much stronger urban vitality and vibe.
Cleveland has far more attractive and spacious suburbs, and the physical setting of the Cleveland metro area is far more alluring and beautiful - it offers the beautiful Lake Erie shores to the heavily forested ridges, hills and canyons that comprise most of the city proper, and the suburbs.

Memphis does have some interesting focal points, however; I think Cleveland offers so much more appeal. I find the flat setting along the swampy banks of the muddy Mississippi River to be unattractive.

Whomever said that Memphis should have had the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in their city must be delusional ... the very term "Rock -n- Roll" was coined by local DJ Alan Freed at the Moon - dog Coronation Ball in Cleveland during the early 1950s ...

Moondog Coronation Ball - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-23-2012, 06:05 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Cleveland, without a doubt. There is nothing in Memphis that has any pull for me.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:07 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Cleveland does not have amusement parks.
It's called Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio. It's close enough to Cleveland. When they were doing a roller coaster documentary, they had one of the featured coasters.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:17 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
Whomever said that Memphis should have had the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in their city must be delusional ... the very term "Rock -n- Roll" was coined by local DJ Alan Freed at the Moon - dog Coronation Ball in Cleveland during the early 1950s ...

Moondog Coronation Ball - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Was Cleveland an epicenter of the rock 'n roll music industry? Did any notable rock 'n roll artists call the city home? Personally, the first city that comes to mind for me when I think of the genre is Memphis, but maybe there's something I don't know about Cleveland's role in its evolution--besides the fact that the person who named it was from Cleveland. Surely there must be more to it than that.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:23 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,279,817 times
^ Cleveland held the first rock concert, had the first radio station that played the music , and even named the genre! C'mon that's definitely some cool points for helping make the music mainstream.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:27 PM

170 posts, read 347,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Cleveland, without a doubt. There is nothing in Memphis that has any pull for me.
Yeah, I feel they could have done more for Memphis through the years, JMO. Look at Nashville, that city is on the come up. They'll have 2 million in Metro Nashville by the next census more than likely. Great sports town, just an overall great city. One of the more under rated southern cities IMO. Memphis looks old, doesn't even have much of a skyline if you ask me...add that to the plus side for Cleveland. The skyline kills that of Memphis.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
^ Cleveland held the first rock concert, had the first radio station that played the music , and even named the genre! C'mon that's definitely some cool points for helping make the music mainstream.
Yeah, I think Memphis was more known for Blues, even though Elvis was the so called King of Rock. The R&R HoF was a big step in revitalizing down town Cleveland IMO. That along with the new ball stadiums. Was looking pretty darn rough there for some time. They need to do some things like that for Memphis. I will say, the Pyramid in Memphis is pretty dang sweet.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:44 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
Yeah that's some cool points, but it seems that Memphis, having prominence on the industry side, somewhat took over where Cleveland left off. Sort of like the Atlanta-Nashville relationship with country music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRollin View Post
Yeah, I feel they could have done more for Memphis through the years, JMO. Look at Nashville, that city is on the come up. They'll have 2 million in Metro Nashville by the next census more than likely. Great sports town, just an overall great city. One of the more under rated southern cities IMO. Memphis looks old, doesn't even have much of a skyline if you ask me...add that to the plus side for Cleveland. The skyline kills that of Memphis.
Cleveland is twice the size of Memphis, so it should have a larger skyline. But skyline isn't everything and definitely isn't an indicator of what's going on at the ground level.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yeah that's some cool points, but it seems that Memphis, having prominence on the industry side, somewhat took over where Cleveland left off. Sort of like the Atlanta-Nashville relationship with country music.

Cleveland is twice the size of Memphis, so it should have a larger skyline. But skyline isn't everything and definitely isn't an indicator of what's going on at the ground level.
True.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City