Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: by MSA population:
Houston overtaking Philadelphia 19 47.50%
Phoenix overtaking Detroit 11 27.50%
Denver overtaking Baltimore 5 12.50%
Orlando overtaking Cleveland 5 12.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 08:26 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times

Advertisements

I find city populations irrelevant. Just because a city's limits are sprawling out to the size of the whole entire county does not really make it a "big city" in terms of what people generally classify as one. Especially when comparing some of the largest cities in the US like San Antonio and Indianapolis which are not really on the international radar at all. Houston has a long way to go to climb ahead of Washington DC and the San Francisco Bay area in terms of metro area and international noteriety even though it's the 4th largest city in the US, it really doesn't feel like it is.

It will be interesting however to see if Phoenix metro overtakes Boston's metro population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 08:30 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I find city populations irrelevant. Just because a city's limits are sprawling out to the size of the whole entire county does not really make it a "big city" in terms of what people generally classify as one. Especially when comparing some of the largest cities in the US like San Antonio and Indianapolis which are not really on the international radar at all. Houston has a long way to go to climb ahead of Washington DC and the San Francisco Bay area in terms of metro area and international noteriety even though it's the 4th largest city in the US, it really doesn't feel like it is.

It will be interesting however to see if Phoenix metro overtakes Boston's metro population.
But what if they get like Los Angeles? Houston's on the international scene as well. Both cities with huge land areas compared to Boston or Philadelphia, but still have notoriety. Personally, I like what Indianapolis did.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:33 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:

I always thought it would be interesting to compare cities based on a 7K or 10K plus metric - City neighborhoods tend to feel suburban below that, at least to me

But on here there are the density/"big city" folk and the build/expand till you qualify folks. Overall I am happy to see much more construction in the middle, a step in the right direction.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I always thought it would be interesting to compare cities based on a 7K or 10K plus metric - City neighborhoods tend to feel suburban below that, at least to me

But on here there are the density/"big city" folk and the build/expand till you qualify folks. Overall I am happy to see much more construction in the middle, a step in the right direction.
I think Seattle and Portland fall into that category. They both have dense urban city cores with great downtowns and decent transit with a mix of urban/suburban neighborhoods within the cities. A perfect blend of trendy urban ammentities and walkable neighborhoods minus the strip malls, yet somewhat suburban leafy neighborhoods with plenty of elbow room and not too crowded.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:06 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
I think Seattle and Portland fall into that category. They both have dense urban city cores with great downtowns and decent transit with a mix of urban/suburban neighborhoods within the cities. A perfect blend of trendy urban ammentities and walkable neighborhoods minus the strip malls, yet somewhat suburban leafy neighborhoods with plenty of elbow room and not too crowded.

would agree - somehow the highways there don't seem as obtrusive, I am not sure what it is but highways seem to drain vibrancy, like the modern version of the berlin wall, at the street level you can't get there from here

Old 08-09-2010, 12:25 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,504 times
All your arguments are irrelevant! This will happen first

/thread

Except for Houston overtaking Philadelphia. However, let's wait until the census results come out next June for that one. That will be before 2012

Old 08-09-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
All your arguments are irrelevant! This will happen first

/thread

Except for Houston overtaking Philadelphia. However, let's wait until the census results come out next June for that one. That will be before 2012
Thank you for enlightening us. I think today I will start scouting out some caves in Montana (I was denied entry into Cheyene Mountain) to ensure survival. Perhaps we could change the tune of this thread to which ones will survive cataclysmic disasters, wait no, then the thread would surely be closed. Dang!

Old 08-09-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
would agree - somehow the highways there don't seem as obtrusive, I am not sure what it is but highways seem to drain vibrancy, like the modern version of the berlin wall, at the street level you can't get there from here
Portland did well by relocating 405 away from the river turning it into a downtown waterfront park. It's brilliant.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_McCall_Waterfront_Park

Boston got lucky by burying it's highway knocking down the big green ugly monstrosity that was the Central Artery on I-93. It's been replaced by the Rose Kennedy Greenway which is an awesome lid park with fountains and gardens. However the price tag has still yet to be summed up as it's estimated somewhere between 16-20 billion dollars. It will probably take a generation to clear that debt.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_Kennedy_Greenway

Seattle wants a simalar project burying the Alaskan Way Viaduct (WA SH 99), with a tunnelled freeway beneath landfill in a seismicly active area. They propose a lid park right along the downtown waterfront on Puget Sound. Clearly an astronomicly expensive engineering undertaking that could rival Boston's Big Dig in terms of cost. The project in Seattle looks awesome on the screen or on paper, but I wonder if Seattle realises the cost and years it will take to complete it. Also I bet Seattlites would miss the drive on the top deck of the viaduct cruising past the urban jungle downtown (albeit a brief 1.5 miles) and the mountains over the water on the other side.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propose...an_Way_Viaduct

Old 08-09-2010, 05:34 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,689,173 times
According to the 2010 metro estimates Orlando is ranked the 26th largest and Cleveland is ranked the 29th largest, so its quite possible that Orlando has already over taken Cleveland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City