Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you like more?
Portland 30 44.12%
San Diego 34 50.00%
I don't know enough 4 5.88%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 12:42 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
This stat comes from an old Forbes "top ten list" from 2004. They derived their rankings by looking at median income levels and median housing values. This was during the peak housing bubble when San Diego real estate was outrageously overpriced. If you look at the list, you will notice that places like New York and Boston are conspicuously absent, which should give you an idea about the validity of this Forbes piece. San Diego is a wealthy metro area but nowhere near even the top 10. Honestly, we need some fact-checkers on this site.

If you want to see the true metric of a city's wealth, you want to look at Gross metropolitan product - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Thanks for the more accurate information. Actually it was Wikipedia where I found the quote about San Diego's wealth. Makes sense that housing was a major contribution.

The metro San Diego\ Los Angeles population is set at 22 million and when you consider that the two cities are only 100 miles apart, that is considerably larger than Portland metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 02:32 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,596,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Thanks for the more accurate information. Actually it was Wikipedia where I found the quote about San Diego's wealth. Makes sense that housing was a major contribution.

The metro San Diego\ Los Angeles population is set at 22 million and when you consider that the two cities are only 100 miles apart, that is considerably larger than Portland metro.
Yeah I find it necessary to check wikipedia citiations, because a lot of times the data is out of date and/or is from dubious sources.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:26 PM

17 posts, read 27,140 times
I may be the first person in history who's visited San Diego and had Portland in the back of my head the whole time. San Diego is sorely behind Portland in terms of urban planning and environmental stewardship. SD is surrounded by appalling exburban sprawl, and with that comes exburban values, such as living in McMansions and driving SUVs. In the San Diego suburbs, you'll find the hate-spewing, fire-breathing version of a Christian God, accompanied with ubiquitous anti-abortion billboards. I don't feel as strong of a religious vibe in Portland. San Diego might be an oasis from this, but you're never too far away from this exburban culture (in fact, it surrounds you) and the shameful leaders that this culture spawns.

I would say that any walkable city with culture, intellectualism, and history is somewhere I'd rather be, even if there is some crime and even if the city has seen better days. There's something about being mixed in with culture, art and history that makes a city feel more vibrant. That being said, I would place San Diego, CA at the top of my "worst places to live" list. I hate car culture, and that city doesn't provide much interest to me. I'd rather be less safe, but thrilled with culture, grit and history than to be in a spread-out car-driven city. No offense to San Diego lovers, this is just my preference.

Environmentalist hippie types are much more prevalent in Portland, as they are everywhere in the Northwest. Almost everybody I know in Portland has a compost bin, whereas this is a rarity in SD. Of course you're aware of how far ahead Portland is in terms of mass transit (light rail), urban growth boundary, and so on.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:52 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times
I'd have to go with Portland on this one....a very progressive city in regards to urban planning and renewal; coupled with a great opportunity for pedestrians...i.e. good walkability and bicycling opportunities. Also I love the downtown...very compact, many parks and trees and interesting architecture as well.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:38 PM

64 posts, read 183,862 times
San Diego is basically a resort. Portland is a real city. If I could I'd live in Portland but stay in San Diego in the winter.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:33 AM

381 posts, read 861,887 times
Who could possibly say its a tie in terms of downtown vibrancy?

DT Portland is far more vibrant than DT San Diego, and has a much stronger urban fabric

Old 02-27-2011, 07:53 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,771,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
I mean Portland, Oregon by the way.

San Diego & Portland

Criteria:
- Public transportation
- Education
- Recreational activities
- Natural scenery
- Population (city, MSA, CSA, etc.)
- Skyline
- Downtown vibrancy
- Economy
- Diversity (people)
- anything else you can think up to compare them....

Remember, you don't have to talk about all the criteria, just pick the ones you know and or want to talk about.
Both are nice but Portland is very impressive, have you seen Broadway street? Lots of stores.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:59 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
I really like San Diego but Portland is one of the few cities that would take me away from California.

I love it up there. So fresh and clean, so green, so compact, so characeteristically Pacific Northwestern.

I LOVE it up there.

San Diego has its major pluses tho. Its climate is well, famous. Its beaches and mediterrenean scenery is perfect. Its Downtown area has seen a stunning upswing in development over the past decade and today it far outclasses Downtown LA.

I think Id prefer to live in La Jolla over Lake Oswego, but as far as the cities themselves go, I think Id prefer Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City