Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2010, 10:21 PM

648 posts, read 1,618,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You said it leads the country in all these bad things and now are trying to back track after you were showed it doesn't.
The list is just as credible is yours.
I said it leads the country in air pollution, traffic, water pollution, and most likely illegal immigrants. If you want to dispute the water pollution bit go ahead because the only source I had is two years gone. But other than that what I said is perfectly right. I then said it has horrible unemployment, foreclosures, and economy. Which it does. I never said it was #1 in unemployment, foreclosures, or a bum economy.

Quote:
Given it's population it's actually doesn't and that's a FACT. That is why traffic in LA is so bad, it doesn't have enough freeways to handle it's population.
The fact traffic in LA is so bad is because everybody drives. It has plenty of freeways, it has more than enough freeways. That is not the problem. The problem is the amount of freaking cars using the freeways due to lack of a decent public transport system.

Quote:
You just don't get it do you? The point, once AGAIN, is that you would live in Miami despite all those problems but when it comes to LA they are now all of a suddenly unacceptable. It's hypocritical. Maybe one day you'll actually understand what I'm saying there.
I would not choose to live in Miami because it is my vacation spot. I am not saying you can not choose LA but it is that you people are trying to dispute the facts that those problems are major in LA claiming that I am "exaggerating." There has been no exaggerations but stating facts. Mexicans are majority in LA. What does that statement have to do with Miami? I stated a fact. Mexicans are the majority in LA. LA has the worst traffic in the country. Another fact. LA has the most pollution in the country. Another fact. LA has a horrible economy.. fact. LA has horrible foreclosure.. fact. LA has high unemployment.. fact. Taxes are too high.. fact. Quit trying to paint a pretty picture for newcomers so they move there happy go lucky because when they get there they will realize everything I said is true as they open their eyes to what is around them there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 10:36 PM

765 posts, read 1,861,001 times
I'd rather work in New York. It's more upscale and professional than casual Los Angeles.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:30 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
I said it leads the country in air pollution, traffic, water pollution, and most likely illegal immigrants. If you want to dispute the water pollution bit go ahead because the only source I had is two years gone. But other than that what I said is perfectly right. I then said it has horrible unemployment, foreclosures, and economy. Which it does. I never said it was #1 in unemployment, foreclosures, or a bum economy.
okay fine, if you want believe you didn't suggest LA was the worst at all those other things then go ahead. But my original point was just how incredibly biased your posts were. Doing nothing but hammering LA on it's negatives while barely mentioning any of NYC's. You don't have experience with LA, you think you know what it's all about when you don't.

Quote:
The fact traffic in LA is so bad is because everybody drives. It has plenty of freeways, it has more than enough freeways. That is not the problem. The problem is the amount of freaking cars using the freeways due to lack of a decent public transport system.
No it doesn't at all given it's population. Seriously, what don't understand about that? A lot of the freeways planned in LA were never built.
Quote:
I would not choose to live in Miami because it is my vacation spot
My mistake, I thought you have lived in Miami before. I thought your location said that at one point, maybe that was someone else.
t
Quote:
you people are trying to dispute the facts that those problems are major in LA claiming that I am "exaggerating
What did I dispute? Never said it wasn't #1 in air pollution but did show how despite that being the case there are plenty of areas where the air is generally good. I said it doesn't lead the country in all those things you listed, only some of them. And given you have little experience with LA you don't have much credibility to speak so matter of fact like you do to know it's such a bad place, it has plenty of going for it too. Doesn't mean LA is a good city for YOU or everyone else to live in, but you don't present an objective, unbiased argument at all and do nothing but talk about the negatives.
Quote:
Mexicans are majority in LA.
For the metro, no they are not the majority. Over 50% of the population is not latino.
Quote:
Quit trying to paint a pretty picture for newcomers so they move there happy go lucky because when they get there they will realize everything I said is true as they open their eyes to what is around them there.
How did I paint a pretty picture? Did I deny that LA doesn't have those problems? No I didn't and you're full of it.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:07 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Default I prefer NY

Despite the elevated stress level, I'd overwhelmingly prefer NY. One thing I admire about NY is that it is a place of substance, character, and relevance. The older I get, the more I require this of my environment.

Also, NY represents the polar opposite of the subject of this pathetic song, one that reminds me of LA and CA in general.

YouTube - The Mamas & The Papas: California Dreamin'

Old 08-22-2010, 06:09 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,696,064 times
I'd also choose to work in New York because New York is more like a real city. LA is like a bunch of cities with no real center. Yes, LA has a downtown section but it isn't enough to be considered a city like NY. Also, I'm wondering: with all the people who say they love the weather in LA, how many of these people actually spend enough time outdoors to really enjoy it? My guess would be not very many do that because they are busy driving from one part of the metro area to another. LA is a car based city where most people that I know drive. In NY, the city is built in such a way so that you can walk outside any time of year even in the winter.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:32 AM

62 posts, read 80,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
I'd also choose to work in New York because New York is more like a real city. LA is like a bunch of cities with no real center. Yes, LA has a downtown section but it isn't enough to be considered a city like NY. Also, I'm wondering: with all the people who say they love the weather in LA, how many of these people actually spend enough time outdoors to really enjoy it? My guess would be not very many do that because they are busy driving from one part of the metro area to another. LA is a car based city where most people that I know drive. In NY, the city is built in such a way so that you can walk outside any time of year even in the winter.
That's true! New York is a real city but if your saying LA isn't a real city I must be Stupid Animal. crazy. It seems NYC is more of a "American City" For that reason People Claim it to be a "real city". Swear Everytime I drive on the freeway and go through Downtown I feel Like I'm in a real city. I guess thats what I like about it. The Surrounding cites are very big. Wherever I go In LA or Metro LA I get a big city feel, Or "real City" feel. I could be in Inglewood and have a Real City feel. Maybe it's a westcoast Thing . A "Real City" Definition can be Different on both Coasts or it's a matter of ones opinion.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:04 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
I'm wondering: with all the people who say they love the weather in LA, how many of these people actually spend enough time outdoors to really enjoy it? My guess would be not very many do that because they are busy driving from one part of the metro area to another.
Good point. But you can bet I'd be outside when the opportunity is there. I grew up in the Central Valley (which I still prefer over L.A.) and I never, ever, took the weather for granted. My family thought I was part lizard because I could weather out the heat in joy. And I miss it.

That bitter NYC climate is more than adequate to keep me away!

Old 08-23-2010, 12:04 PM

179 posts, read 402,662 times
NYC has so many more opportunities and LA's economy is in a decline!!

Old 08-23-2010, 12:11 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,696,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsfan11490 View Post
NYC has so many more opportunities and LA's economy is in a decline!!
Oh yes! You said it. I live in the LA area and I can talk about it first hand. This is another reason I'd choose to work in NY over LA. The economy in LA seems to be a pile of junk. And people still want to move here?? I don't know why.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:58 PM

73 posts, read 198,053 times
Default Hands down...NYC!

LA is very overrated.

And all people from CA ever talk about is their weather. I would take North East weather any day over CA. It would get played and boring real fast.

As far as someone mentioning people are more fashionable in LA---no way. Most tourists to NYC stay in the touristy areas where you are looking at the fashion of people from different parts of the country/world. Go visit the real NY outside the tourist traps and you can't beat the fashion and trendy people of NY.

NYC is in a league of its own all the way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City