Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2012, 05:26 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,672,326 times

Advertisements

Lmao not even bro it comes down to weather and pay but Philly is trash stop while your ahead and if you want you could compare the wholeeastcoast region to California and still come out number 2 lol
Back east is the old world bro everything out west is modern day but all that to the side NYC is a great city"but damn that weather is just terrible always cold and raining is not a good thing but everybody has an opinion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 06:05 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,152,478 times
LA all day every day. This place is a paradise. I would call this the closest thing to a perfect metro. There is absolutely nothing that interests me about NYC. Keep your subways.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:13 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,672,326 times
Lmao I mean it's so different from east to West,history,culture,ethnicities,transportation
And it comes down to Apples & oranges

Old 07-29-2012, 12:29 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,991,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
LA all day every day. This place is a paradise. I would call this the closest thing to a perfect metro. There is absolutely nothing that interests me about NYC. Keep your subways.
I was going to write something but you did me a favor and already wrote what I wanted to.

Thanks again Illusive.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:51 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
How high be them wages? Are they scaled to the cost of living? I think at most income levels I'd choose NYC.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:12 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
LA would require getting a car and driving for basic necessities, for groceries, almost everywhere except outside of your neighborhood to not be considered a social pariah.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:15 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post

New York City MSA: 6,000 Square miles with 19,100,000 people.
Los Angeles MSA: 6,000 Square miles with 12,900,000 people.

They are the same size on an MSA basis by area. Yes Los Angeles the city is more spread out and many people like that attribute more in a city, personally I like that overall more in a city. More spacious and more car friendly, and I do love cars!
6000 square miles? There isn't much worth exploring in any city much over 50 square miles, even in NYC, London, Paris, SF, Chicago, Boston, DC...these cities all pack about everything in worth seeing in under 50 sq miles, and just that area will take you years to explore just by itself. It's called being walkable and having good transit, things a city should aspire to. So what is the point of even listing that stat.

People on this board act like people in these areas never leave, or gasp get on an airplane to go somewhere else, anywhere in the world really. Day to day life though, def give me the city, so much easier. It would be a major lifestyle difference to live in LA.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:37 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,330,882 times
NYC.

1. Commuting in LA would be horrific. At least with the Subways of NYC you have the option of not fighting traffic every single day. The traffic is even bad on the weekends when things are supposed to be very stress-free.

2. I would probably have to learn Spanish for the job (and for daily tasks); learning a new language is extremely stressful.

3. Leaving work to go to a burning hot car all year round.

4. Much higher risk of carjackings.

5. The need to pay fugly high gas prices and insane Car Insurance.

6. NYC's job market is notably more stable so if I were to lose the job the OP mentioned then I at least know that I would have a better chance of finding a new job instead of having to go through the pains of moving again.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 07-29-2012 at 11:49 AM..

Old 07-29-2012, 11:47 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,858,212 times
NYC because I think the commute would be easier.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:11 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
NYC.

1. Commuting in LA would be horrific. At least with the Subways of NYC you have the option of not fighting traffic every single day. The traffic is even bad on the weekends when things are supposed to be very stress-free.

2. I would probably have to learn Spanish for the job (and for daily tasks); learning a new language is extremely stressful.

3. Leaving work to go to a burning hot car all year round.

4. Much higher risk of carjackings.

5. The need to pay fugly high gas prices and insane Car Insurance.

6. NYC's job market is notably more stable so if I were to lose the job the OP mentioned then I at least know that I would have a better chance of finding a new job instead of having to go through the pains of moving again.
You could get lucky and be one of those people who live and work within reach of transit in which case it's not so bad--there are actually a number of job centers such as downtown LA which are well served by transit so you can live off one of the lines which serve it--in which case you can probably ditch the car stuff and do zipcar or some such. The idea you have to learn Spanish to get around is not really true at all except in a few very specific neighborhoods. I'm not sure where you got that idea. The only place I can think of where a lot of the city is that way would be Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City