Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has better parks?
Chicago 33 47.14%
New York 37 52.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 11:34 PM

151 posts, read 300,574 times

Advertisements

No competition. NYC.

NYC has some gorgeous parks. I was just in Downtown in Battery Park City yesterday and it was gorgeous....loved the parks there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 02:18 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,203,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink View Post
New York has the better parks, more of them, in better locations.

OF COURSE New York is going to have more parks, it's I dunno, about three times the size of Chicago?

The parks in Chicago seem to be isolated and distant around the city.

I wonder if you've ever been to Chicago? Grant Park is located right in the middle of the south loop, the most densely populated area of the city. Lincoln Park, similarly, is located in a highly densely populated area of the city as well. This is in addition to dozens of other parks.

The parks in New York seems to always be in the most happening spots and attract more women and have more going on at them

I wasn't aware certain parks attracted women more so than others...interesting.

Both cities have very nice parks, but nothing compares to Central Park IMO. It is the most visited AND most celebrated park in the United States, hands down.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:21 AM

9 posts, read 22,086 times
I would go with NY here, but Chicago has very nice parks as well.

As a side note; if SF was included here I would say SF because the Presidio is my favorite city park in the US

Old 08-12-2010, 06:29 AM

161 posts, read 699,332 times
I think if you were to rewind to the 30s or 40s when Chicago's parks were in much better shape and more vibrant, the competition might be close. But NYC has the best parks in the country.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:03 AM

71 posts, read 189,724 times
Lincoln Park is the best because of the lakefront running path, bike path, beaches, harbors, city views, football fields, soccer fields, baseball fields, rowing, zoo, conservatory, ponds, and so on.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:10 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,364,964 times
I prefer Chicago, given the beach and lake access.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:21 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I think if you were to rewind to the 30s or 40s when Chicago's parks were in much better shape and more vibrant, the competition might be close. But NYC has the best parks in the country.
Actually I've always been surprised that the one thing the city keeps up even if everything else fails is the parks. I've been in some trashed out ghetto areas, and then out of the blue you find a massive manicured park with trees, rec buildings, ponds, amazing flower beds everywhere, etc. I would gather to think the parks are in much better shape now than any other period in history - especially with the current mayor who's obsessed with them. Maybe not every single one - but most.

I don't know enough about the parks in either city really to make a judgement. I've been to Central Park and obviously it was amazing. I also like Lincoln Park, Jackson Park and Humbolt Park in Chicago. The lakefront that stretches for 20 miles in Chicago as one long park really impresses me and makes me happy every time I visit.

I suppose I'd have to go with NYC since they have more, and more in really built up and thriving areas?

Old 08-12-2010, 02:40 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,451,133 times
This is another case of "Chicago is very good, but New York is just a lot better". Central Park and Bryant Park are both amazing...and there's nothing else in the country like the High Line. The projects popping up around the High Line are ridiculous.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:22 PM

244 posts, read 567,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
This is another case of "Chicago is very good, but New York is just a lot better". Central Park and Bryant Park are both amazing...and there's nothing else in the country like the High Line. The projects popping up around the High Line are ridiculous.

Totally!

Old 08-12-2010, 03:57 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,451,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC90 View Post
Totally!

Wow...that's the first time I've seen those projects in non-rendered form. Amazing.

That may be the best urban park in America right there. I think it would have been more appropriate to call it the High Line Mall...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City