Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2020, 11:11 AM

681 posts, read 1,045,052 times

Advertisements

Fast Foward to 2020:

where do we stand now in this comparison as I'm on the fence about staying here in Seattle or moving to Atlanta, (Georgia being my home state) here are pros and cons for my conditions on both Seattle and Atlanta.

Seattle:
Pros: I'm already here
It's the Pacific Northwest! Mountains, forest, rivers and the coast
Lots of nature, hikes, food, ect.
Diverse, beautiful city
Was my dream for 10 years before I got here.
Cons: Traffic
Homeless
Drugs
Cost of living (on my pay I'd never be able to afford a house, hell even my own apartment)
Far from family

Atlanta
Pros: Closer to family
Lower cost of living, possibly able to own a house
Beautiful City
Close to mountains and national forest
Diverse population/food ect.

Cons: Traffic
Crime
Heat/Humidity
bugs

Old 05-02-2020, 11:56 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
It comes down to personal preference with these two. Atlanta outperforms in Seattle in most metrics but Seattle is on the rise. I would choose Atlanta to be able to "move on" with my life. Scraping change and having a ton of roommates is what you have to do in your 20s, but as you are looking to settle down it gets old quick. I would be close to homeless in Seattle.

Old 05-02-2020, 12:13 PM

747 posts, read 496,752 times
Atlanta. It’s the larger, more important city. Seattle is knocking on the door though but all that growth has contributed to terrible growing pains that make living there rough: so much homelessness, absurd COL, lack of diversity, and a city perpetually under construction.

Old 05-02-2020, 08:01 PM

492 posts, read 534,880 times
Seattle is good but Atlanta is better. Both the cities are beautiful in their own way.

Negatives for Seattle:
Not Diverse
Insane COL for what it can offer
Nightlife is not as good as Atlanta
Gloomy weather is not for everyone

Negatives for Atlanta
Traffic
Heat and Humidity is not for everyone

Old 05-02-2020, 08:31 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Well this current pandemic is a big wild card that will in all likelihood impact your choice. In theory, Atlanta will be more adversely impacted due to a larger share of its local economy being based on tourism and conventions/large gatherings but who knows how other sectors will fare going forward.

Old 05-02-2020, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well this current pandemic is a big wild card that will in all likelihood impact your choice. In theory, Atlanta will be more adversely impacted due to a larger share of its local economy being based on tourism and conventions/large gatherings but who knows how other sectors will fare going forward.
I don't know, the first case of COVID in the states came through the airport I work at in Seattle.

Old 05-02-2020, 09:39 PM

11,781 posts, read 7,992,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualErik View Post
I don't know, the first case of COVID in the states came through the airport I work at in Seattle.
Seattle is more connected to Asian cities than Atlanta is on an international level so that isnt really surprising.

For me specifically having lived in both? Seattle.

Atlanta is beautiful but Seattle's scenery is on another level.

Great summers and not to terrible winters if you can get by the gloomy weather. Atlanta winters are usually mild but surprisingly Seattle and Atlanta can reach about the same lows and both see snow at about the same intervals. Atlanta has longer summers but are also much more humid.

In economic terms both are doing well. Atlanta and Seattle are pretty close in terms of GDP but Seattle is doing this with alot less people. Now on the other end of the spectrum, Seattle is also severely dependent on certain corporations where as Atlanta can take a few hits without being obliterated.

Traffic in both are terrible but Seattle has an excuse due to all the natural barriers. Atlanta's traffic problems are largely due to lack of cohesion, planning, and nimby's of which revolted much needed transit improvements. With that stated however I will say Atlanta proper does do a fairly good job in the transit department, it's mainly the outlying metro that does not want to get on the ball.

Seattle, contrary to belief does have a diverse economy. Seattle is more known for tech, but it does have a logistical, industrial, paper and other industries as well. Atlanta of course has a much stronger logistical side and especially financial sector as well as tourism.

Seattle has better trails, parks, ect mainly due to its setting. Atlanta however is being as innovative as they can especially with beltline.

Both have crime issues. Atlanta has more violent crime, Seattle has more theft. Seattle also has a homeless issue. Atlanta does too but it's a bit more hidden and nowhere near as rampant as it is in Seattle so to speak.

Now here is where things really tip. You need to make alot of money to live comfortably in Seattle or even its metro. $70k in Atlanta for example will got ALOT further than $100k in Seattle for example due to the insane COL. For someone not making a high salary, it would definitely be a threatening issue and you can forget about owning a home. Housing in the Atlanta metro is much cheaper than it is in Seattle even in the affluent burbs.

Atlanta has much better night life with its venue's, I particularly dont go out at night so that sort of thing never really was important to me but for those looking into it, Atlanta would win here.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 05-02-2020 at 10:03 PM..

Old 05-02-2020, 10:22 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times
Atlanta

Old 05-03-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Seattle is more connected to Asian cities than Atlanta is on an international level so that isnt really surprising.

For me specifically having lived in both? Seattle.

Atlanta is beautiful but Seattle's scenery is on another level.

Great summers and not to terrible winters if you can get by the gloomy weather. Atlanta winters are usually mild but surprisingly Seattle and Atlanta can reach about the same lows and both see snow at about the same intervals. Atlanta has longer summers but are also much more humid.

In economic terms both are doing well. Atlanta and Seattle are pretty close in terms of GDP but Seattle is doing this with alot less people. Now on the other end of the spectrum, Seattle is also severely dependent on certain corporations where as Atlanta can take a few hits without being obliterated.

Traffic in both are terrible but Seattle has an excuse due to all the natural barriers. Atlanta's traffic problems are largely due to lack of cohesion, planning, and nimby's of which revolted much needed transit improvements. With that stated however I will say Atlanta proper does do a fairly good job in the transit department, it's mainly the outlying metro that does not want to get on the ball.

Seattle, contrary to belief does have a diverse economy. Seattle is more known for tech, but it does have a logistical, industrial, paper and other industries as well. Atlanta of course has a much stronger logistical side and especially financial sector as well as tourism.

Seattle has better trails, parks, ect mainly due to its setting. Atlanta however is being as innovative as they can especially with beltline.

Both have crime issues. Atlanta has more violent crime, Seattle has more theft. Seattle also has a homeless issue. Atlanta does too but it's a bit more hidden and nowhere near as rampant as it is in Seattle so to speak.

Now here is where things really tip. You need to make alot of money to live comfortably in Seattle or even its metro. $70k in Atlanta for example will got ALOT further than $100k in Seattle for example due to the insane COL. For someone not making a high salary, it would definitely be a threatening issue and you can forget about owning a home. Housing in the Atlanta metro is much cheaper than it is in Seattle even in the affluent burbs.

Atlanta has much better night life with its venue's, I particularly dont go out at night so that sort of thing never really was important to me but for those looking into it, Atlanta would win here.
COL is the biggest and main challenge of me even considering leaving Seattle, my pay is based on locality so moving back to Georgia, even Atlanta has a lower locality rate than Seattle, so I'll take a pay cut, although even with the pay cut I'd still be better off in the Atlanta area when it comes to being able to afford a home.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:05 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
It's easier to go car-less in Seattle, with about double the transit commute share within city limits despite Atlanta's impressive rail spines. For someone like me, that at least brings the cost closer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City