Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 12:28 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,880,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
kcmo when was the last time you visited baltimore?
Last weekend. I live in Annapolis .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 01:23 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Last weekend. I live in Annapolis .
oh ok, i see why u said that about the dc and baltimore suburbs. stl is about half the size of baltimore geographically speaking. Baltimore has the 8th (if i can remember) most populated downtown in the country. Baltimore has the misfortune of being sandwiched between dc and philly. baltimore is one of the most urban cities in the country tho, i personally think moreso than dc.

i was in annapolis last week, there was more going on than i wouldve anticipated. that italian restaurant by the water was pretty good too.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:36 PM

976 posts, read 2,242,344 times
as a philadelphia native, I'll offer my opinions. as stated before, baltimore is better compared to st. louis than to kansas city. baltimore and st. louis are two of the most similar cities in the united states, in size (metro), built environment, demographics, politics, etc.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:25 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
LOL, didn't you say a few posts earlier that you didn't know much or anything about Kansas City?
Yes you don't have to see it to know the differences I pointed out.

Its a fact that Kansas City is land trapped, thus its different from Baltimore in that regard. Theres nothing wrong with it, but its still a difference.

Its a fact that their cultures are different, one is in the Midwest the other is a coastal city on the Eastern Seaboard. Its like saying a fishing town in Japan versus an inland town in Japan. Culturally that fishing town will have more people involved with water activities, port activities, seafood, things like that can shape and change a culture up.

Everything I listed is fact difference, difference you can see from statistics, pictures, & information.

By feel of city to city, I haven't been to Kansas City so I cannot say.

Those pictures of Kansas City look great though.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 5 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,916,376 times
Kansas City seems so nice! I had no idea! Especially the picture of the Midland theatre. Omaha also surprised me in a good way from what I found out about it.

Baltimore seems to suck, but mostly because of the ridiculous crime rate. Outside of one or two neighborhoods it seems like the rest of the city is dumpy.
Its never mentioned with NYC, Boston, Phiadelphia, and Washington D.C, even though it has a larger population than Boston.
Im sure there are some cool/great people there. I met a few like that, but that doesnt take away from the fact that most of Baltimore is a dump.

Last edited by ; 09-03-2010 at 06:42 PM..

Old 09-03-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
kansas city seems so nice! I had no idea! Especially the picture of the midland theatre. Omaha also surprised me in a good way from what i found out about it.

Baltimore seems to suck, but mostly because of the ridiculous crime rate. Outside of one or two neighborhoods it seems like the rest of the city is dumpy.
Its never mentioned with nyc, boston, phiadelphia, and washington d.c, even though it has a larger population than boston.
Im sure there are some cool/great people there. I met a few like that, but that doesnt take away from the fact that most of baltimore is a dump.
wrong!!

Old 09-03-2010, 06:55 PM

Mrredd:

Can you prove to me that what I said was wrong?

It doesnt seem like you can.

And are you saying that Im wrong to say that there are some cool/great people that probably exist there, even though almost all of Baltimore is a dump?

Old 09-03-2010, 07:08 PM

You are wrong about Baltimore being a Dump, you are wrong about only "one or two" neighborhoods being good when we have OVER 200 .50% of the city is nice is what your saying which is FALSE.
Baltimore is a larger city than Boston and DC; boston is isolated so it stands kinda alone, DC is the center of american government, and NYC is the most populated city in the country. Philly kinda suffers from the same issue as baltimore when it comes to being over looked. Baltimore is a GROWING city, and its darkest days are behind her.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:33 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,031 times
here are 5 neighborhoods outside of the 2 you are likely thinking of (Federal hill and Fells point probably)

Bolton Hill

Bolton Hill

Ashbuton

Baltimore InnerSpace: Lake Ashburton

Abell

Charles VillageÂ*— Baltimore, Maryland

Mayfield
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/2c/Homes_in_Mayfield.JPG/800px-Homes_in_Mayfield.JPG (broken link)
Mayfield, Baltimore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Butcher's Hill

Butchers Hill Real Estate & Homes - Free Online Guide to Buying Selling Renting Houses, Condos, Homes, Apartments, Commercial, and Investment Property in one of Baltimore, Maryland's Most Popular Neighborhoods.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post

Its never mentioned with NYC, Boston, Phiadelphia, and Washington D.C, even though it has a larger population than Boston.

Im sure there are some cool/great people there. I met a few like that, but that doesnt take away from the fact that most of Baltimore is a dump.
To Billiams and Mrredd:
Sorry, but I still disagree with both of you and most people will agree with me on that, especially with Baltimore compared to NYC, Boston, Philly, and D,C, Even the .50-5% of the city that might not be dumpy is almost dumpy and are surrounded by the influence of dumpy areas.

I wasnt impressed by those pictures niether.
I almost was impressed with the first picture though, but not quite. Actually, some of the pictures almost remind me of Camden, New Jersey and Newark, New Jersey. Are you really considering some of those pictures nice areas of Baltimore!?

Good luck to Baltimore's future though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City