Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Battle for #6 US City
Atlanta 24 12.90%
Boston 56 30.11%
Detroit 7 3.76%
Dallas/Ft Worth 27 14.52%
Houston 30 16.13%
Miami 10 5.38%
Philadelphia 32 17.20%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 03:19 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,950,307 times

Advertisements

Philly gets my vote mostly because of the history- it being the first capitol of the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 03:19 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Like what? Why Hoston is allowed to include half of Texas, and Philly gets cut off 15 miles from the city line I'll never know. Keep that in mind.
The Philly Metro is over 5000 sq miles dude, or about 11% of your state.

Houston is 10K sq miles or about 3% of Texas, not half the state as you claim. Your metro takes up much more of your state than mine does in my state. Stop throwing out things you know nothing about

Old 09-02-2010, 03:27 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,721,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Among others, Chicago is a much better representation of America than Philly is, sorry..
Chicago is the unofficial capitol of the Midwest and an important American city, but Midwestern culture is unique and not as typical American as people think.

The East Coast was the original union of states, and Philly is where it all started. Thats the culture that spread across the continent, but the original and typical America is still best represented on the East coast as a whole, particularily Greater Philadelphia.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
The Philly Metro is over 5000 sq miles dude, or about 11% of your state.

Houston is 10K sq miles or about 3% of Texas, not half the state as you claim. Your metro takes up much more of your state than mine does in my state. Stop throwing out things you know nothing about
PA and Texas are the same size? 10K is twice as big as 5K. Why does a metro with less people get to include twice the amount of land.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:33 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Well I don't know why anyone would rank GDP by CSA, but the GDP of the Boston CSA and that of Houston are almost the same, so if you ar egoing by that then either one would fit in the #6 spot perfectly

New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA CSA $1.434 Trillion
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA CSA $866.095 Billion
Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV CSA $533.542 Billion
Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI CSA $526.895 Billion
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA CSA $508.418 Billion
Boston-Worcester-Manchester, MA-RI-NH CSA $413.930 Billion
Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX CSA $403.202 Billion
Well there is constant bickering on the site about whether or not we should compare CSAs or MSAs because the physical borders of the Northeast CSAs are usually about the same size as those in the Sunbelt...meanwhile the MSAs of Northeastern cities are often 1/2 the physical size of Sunbelt MSAs.

All in all, I personally prefer MSAs.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:34 PM

882 posts, read 2,244,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Chicago is the unofficial capitol of the Midwest and an important American city, but Midwestern culture is unique and not as typical American as people think.

The East Coast was the original union of states, and Philly is where it all started. Thats the culture that spread across the continent, but the original and typical America is still best represented on the East coast as a whole, particularily Greater Philadelphia.
That's completely false, take a look outside the Northeast, while it is our most important, and arguably best region, your saying that the best portion of something should be used to represent the entire subject. Are you saying that the majority of the US is really urban, has a lot of history, is really liberal, etc? No, you can't take one part of something and represent it as the whole. If anything, the midwest is the most representative region of the US.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Well there is constant bickering on the site about whether or not we should compare CSAs or MSAs because the physical borders of the Northeast CSAs are usually about the same size as those in the Sunbelt...meanwhile the MSAs of Northeastern cities are often 1/2 the physical size of Sunbelt MSAs.

All in all, I personally prefer MSAs.
I prefer MSA's too. Some CSA's get out of hand

Old 09-02-2010, 03:37 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Atlanta is currently #2 in the poll w four votes but no one has said why! I can see people not talking about Boston or Houston as much in this poll since they've been debated nonstop in the #4 & #5 polls...but this is the first we've seen of Philly, Dallas and Atlanta...let's hear it guys!

Old 09-02-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Atlanta is currently #2 in the poll w four votes but no one has said why! I can see people not talking about Boston or Houston as much in this poll since they've been debated nonstop in the #4 & #5 polls...but this is the first we've seen of Philly, Dallas and Atlanta...let's hear it guys!
yeah, I tried making another thread form the two finalists HOuston and Boston but it escaped me before I added a poll. I dunno why Kidphilly added new cities that were not in the 4 other threads

Old 09-02-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
That's completely false, take a look outside the Northeast, while it is our most important, and arguably best region, your saying that the best portion of something should be used to represent the entire subject. Are you saying that the majority of the US is really urban, has a lot of history, is really liberal, etc? No, you can't take one part of something and represent it as the whole. If anything, the midwest is the most representative region of the US.
Russia doesn't use Siberia to represent it. Does It?

Having Texas represent us is not a good look. Remember George

Those funny stereotypes of Americans come from goofy Midwestern tourists.

Cali is too far removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City