Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Battle for #6 US City
Atlanta 24 12.90%
Boston 56 30.11%
Detroit 7 3.76%
Dallas/Ft Worth 27 14.52%
Houston 30 16.13%
Miami 10 5.38%
Philadelphia 32 17.20%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 05:16 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I dont disagree with this statement but Boston and Philly are different story. Both should arguably be top 5 for the forseeable future.
That is a very arguable point if thats what you believe, but you can't justify it by looking to the past. Ignoring the pre-electricity era, I think Houston, Atlanta, and the other Johnny-come-latelys stack up very well against Philly and Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 05:39 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Well, here goes an argument for Atlanta.

It primarily is location. Located in the Southeast it almost single handily dominates the states of GA, NC, TN,SC, and AL as well as the northern portion of FL. That gives it, what I shall term, a regional influential population of ~22 million. This is an extreme estimate as I am roughly counting the population of areas where Atlanta's influence is significant.

Add to that the airport, which is the busiest in the world. The advantage of this is ease of international trade, key port for exportation, among other things. Having this airport is good for companies to travel around the US and the world. This makes setting up operations in ATL a strategic location.

Atlanta has quite a diverse economy from finance, to manufacturing, biotech, high tech, higher ed, and others. You have a Fed Reserve branch (as do most of the other cities on this thread), CDC, one of the credit agencies, and other federal agencies.

Atlanta doesn't dominate either of the cities in anything, but it does compete strongly in many levels, something not too many cities can say.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Well there is constant bickering on the site about whether or not we should compare CSAs or MSAs because the physical borders of the Northeast CSAs are usually about the same size as those in the Sunbelt...meanwhile the MSAs of Northeastern cities are often 1/2 the physical size of Sunbelt MSAs.

All in all, I personally prefer MSAs.
I prefer CSAs for arguments like these because I believe they give you the sphere of influuence a city has on its surroundings. For example, Charlotte MSA has a larger GDP than Cleveland. Would you conclude Charlotte is more economically powerful than Cleveland? Definitely not. When you look at CSA Cleveland comes out on top. And this is coming from a Charlotte booster.

In the same way I think in judging which city is more important, I think you're asking what city has the most influence over a general area? This influence includes higher ed, DMAs, trading areas, GDP, etc. Depending on how you measure this influence will determine your answer.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:09 PM

614 posts, read 1,764,121 times
I'd say Atl. But for the #5 city its Philadelphia imo instead of San Fran.

Last edited by ckzona; 09-02-2010 at 06:35 PM..

Old 09-02-2010, 06:27 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
That's completely false, take a look outside the Northeast, while it is our most important, and arguably best region, your saying that the best portion of something should be used to represent the entire subject. Are you saying that the majority of the US is really urban, has a lot of history, is really liberal, etc? No, you can't take one part of something and represent it as the whole. If anything, the midwest is the most representative region of the US.
Yes, the Midwest is the most representative of the entire nation.And there's a little bit of all regions in the city of Chicago.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:18 PM

51 posts, read 101,711 times
I like most choices ,but I vote DFW.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:21 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Well, here goes an argument for Atlanta.

It primarily is location. Located in the Southeast it almost single handily dominates the states of GA, NC, TN,SC, and AL as well as the northern portion of FL. That gives it, what I shall term, a regional influential population of ~22 million. This is an extreme estimate as I am roughly counting the population of areas where Atlanta's influence is significant.

Add to that the airport, which is the busiest in the world. The advantage of this is ease of international trade, key port for exportation, among other things. Having this airport is good for companies to travel around the US and the world. This makes setting up operations in ATL a strategic location.

Atlanta has quite a diverse economy from finance, to manufacturing, biotech, high tech, higher ed, and others. You have a Fed Reserve branch (as do most of the other cities on this thread), CDC, one of the credit agencies, and other federal agencies.

Atlanta doesn't dominate either of the cities in anything, but it does compete strongly in many levels, something not too many cities can say.
On a regional basis, I'd say Atlanta dominates the Southeast.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
On a regional basis, I'd say Atlanta dominates the Southeast.
This deifinitely goes without an argument. My argument is saying, given its domination of the Southeast it is a strong case for the #6 spot. The US is a country of regions. Since 1-5 clearly dominate the nation, spots 6-11 don't really dominate each other. Therefore, by default, you could argue Atlanta deserves the 6th spot because it influences a larger region than the others.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:26 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
So far some homerism and something else, probably no clear cut out winner of this group. As some others have said great that we have so many great cities, and there are a at least a dozen more that are also great and unique in their own way, what a great diversity of cities we have in this great country...

Old 09-02-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
So far some homerism and something else, probably no clear cut out winner of this group. As some others have said great that we have so many great cities, and there are a at least a dozen more that are also great and unique in their own way, what a great diversity of cities we have in this great country...
You need to give Phily a better argument for #6. So far your.colleagues have used history, urban area population, dt population, and DMA. While these are great, they're weak. But I know if there is a champion of Phily who could give it a great argument, it would be you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City